PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN News update regarding Patriots and Peppers

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, word is that the Broncos may be willing to deal Dumerville for less than a first and a third. Actually, the Broncos haven't even tendered Dumerville yet and it could be less than a first and a third.

Yep. Heard close to the same thing. I also heard that Dumerville wore down at the end of the season and that is one of the main reasons that the Bronks are not convinced hes worth big-time dollars.

the only way i would want peppers is if the pats move. to a one gap. 4-3 and trade wilfork,

giveing peppers, 9 to 10 million a year with out locking up wilfork, first would just pass him off and we would have Branch, all over again trade him and draft Carlos Dunlap, and jerry hughes,

and you have a 4-3 that looks like this peppers, and dunlap, at DE wright and warren at DT mayo, at ILB and guyton, and hughes, at OLB

but if the pats are still going to run the 2 gap 3-4 with peppers at OLB i say no. cause the pats would then have 2 over paid OLB's on the roster peppers will not be happy with seting the edge and covering TE's just as much as he would be rushing the QB.

peppers is a pass rusher and noting more and paying a player that much money to be a one trick pony. is not the patriot way. i don't see it happening .

A) You don't 'set the edge' on pass plays. "setting the edge only means you are the widest player on the front 7 and your 2 gap area includes the sideline
B) Peppers would not be covering TEs any more than Willie McGinest did. We can mix and match which OLBs rush the QB. Peppers would be the 4th rusher at least 95% of the time.

Dumervil struggles even more than Peppers against the run. He's a dangerous pass rusher, but I wouldn't give up a first and a third for his pass rush abilities alone.

Cousin. How about Ray Edwards from the Vikes. He is an RFA, he is young. He can drop, BB liked him in the Draft, he can set the edge. The Vikes need a CB desperately. Would you send our #22 and Wilhite to the Vikes for Edwards? 6'6" , 270lbs, 4.80 speed 39" vertical 8.5 Sacks last year and BB would love to stick it too Chilly.
DW Toys

The effects of steroid use don't just wear off overnight or while you're serving a short suspension. Although once they do the injuries tend to mount and the production tends to wane. If they get blood testing for HgH in the new CBA Merriman will likely give new meaning to the term lights out. He's a guy who juiced his way into the league, ergo he will be most likely to be one of the ones using PED's to have remained there in persuit of a second big deal. Not to mention he's one of those just asking for trouble off the field players Robert and Myra find so endearing...

I completely agree, and will in the future remember that enhancing starts with an e not an i.

Hold the Peppers

Am I the only one that *doesn't* think it's a good idea to sign an expensive and seemingly high-maintenance DE to help replace our expensive high-maintenance LB?

A) You don't 'set the edge' on pass plays. "setting the edge only means you are the widest player on the front 7 and your 2 gap area includes the sideline
B) Peppers would not be covering TEs any more than Willie McGinest did. We can mix and match which OLBs rush the QB. Peppers would be the 4th rusher at least 95% of the time.

Yeah, I don't get all the obsession about Peppers' coverage skills or lack there of. It isn't like the OLB is dropped into coverage every passing play and obviously Peppers would be designated as the rushing OLB most of the time. Besides, Peppers is a former track and basketball star, he does have the speed to cover TEs.

As for setting the edge, I agree it is a running down thing. As for Peppers' abilities to do so, it is an unknown. But people saying he is unable to do so because of his run down skills in a 4-3 is not looking at the whole picture. To set the edge in the 3-4, you are playing outside the tackle and usually responsiblle for the area from just beyond the o-line to the sidelines. In the 4-3, Peppers usually lines up inside the tackle and shares much of that responsibilty for the outside the o-line to the sidelines with the OLB.

If Washington is in the mix for Peppers like they are rumored to be its going to be that much harder for the Pats to sign him. Unless Peppers is willing to take a little less to play for a contender its going to be tough for any team to bid against Wsh.

The effects of steroid use don't just wear off overnight or while you're serving a short suspension. Although once they do the injuries tend to mount and the production tends to wane. If they get blood testing for HgH in the new CBA Merriman will likely give new meaning to the term lights out. He's a guy who juiced his way into the league, ergo he will be most likely to be one of the ones using PED's to have remained there in persuit of a second big deal. Not to mention he's one of those just asking for trouble off the field players Robert and Myra find so endearing...

You are correct that steroids stay in the body for a while, but everyone always claims that Merriman hasn't done anything since being suspended. That's false as seen by those stats. He produced at basiaclly the same level after returning, contrary to popular belief. As you pointed out, once you stop juicing you tend to sometimes breakdown as you get older, as seen in baseball with guys like Giambi. But Merriman's ACL injury had nothing to do with roids. And although he didn't look like himself in 09, his play had improved towards the end of the season. I think it's a little unfair to expect him to be able to step right in and produce like he had in the past. Brady's play was subpar at times this year and he was affected coming off ACL surgery. Osi's stats and production were down as well to the point where he was benched, and he was coming off ACL surgery. I think you will see Merriman have a big bounce back year.

Glad you don't run the Pats, cuz whack jobs like you would run that organization right back into the days Ray Agnew and Chris Singleton.
A 1st and 3rd for Merriroid...Heck why not just trade them all 4 picks in first 2 rounds for Merriroid. :bricks:
I don't understand how he's such a whack job. Other than his Tequila incident, he hasn't really been in much off the field altercations. You don't think the Pats could use the passion and leadership he brings on D after seeing the way this D got overpowered and handled by a physical Ravens team in the playoffs? He's unhappy because he wants a long term deal to stay in SD, just like Wilfork wants a long term deal in NE. It's fair to question his abilities, but SD is in the perfect position basically tendering him at a reasonable price for a one year prove it deal. If he can return to form, you can talk extension. If He doesn't, you let him walk and you've got Phillips and English.

I also it's VERY DOUBTFUL I would consider giving up a 1st and 3rd for Merriman. I don't think I'd give up a 1st and 3rd for anyone, expect Tom Brady. I was responding to the poster who said if we picked up a third, he would possibly like to see us go after Dumervil, giving up a 1st and a 3rd. I was simply saying if we are going to be giving up a 1st and a 3rd I would rather have Merriman than Dumervil, as I think he is a better fit on our defense.

When you say "our system", you are aware that Denver played in essentially the same type of system, right?
Denver played a 3-4, but Nolan's 3-4 isn't the same as BB's. As we all know, BB is a 2-gapper focusing on gap control, controlling the LOS, and reading/reacting, while Nolan's defense was more single gap and relied more on penetration and "attacking."

Cousin. How about Ray Edwards from the Vikes. He is an RFA, he is young. He can drop, BB liked him in the Draft, he can set the edge. The Vikes need a CB desperately. Would you send our #22 and Wilhite to the Vikes for Edwards? 6'6" , 270lbs, 4.80 speed 39" vertical 8.5 Sacks last year and BB would love to stick it too Chilly.
DW Toys

If I thought they would part ways with him, yes. After this year's playoff performance though, I can't see that happening.

If I thought they would part ways with him, yes. After this year's playoff performance though, I can't see that happening.

Then there is the knee injury too. Not sure how serious it was??

Might be kind of risky until we get a chance to see what we have in Wilhite, as well.

Might be kind of risky until we get a chance to see what we have in Wilhite, as well.

Not too risky, IMO. We have other CBs on the roster like him. Of course there is the chance that he could turn into a stud, but if Ray Edwards became available and we could put together a package with Wilhite in it, I would do it.

I am a prophet from the future, and here is how the Peppers situation unfolded.

1. Peppers became a free agent.
2. Everyone in Patriot nation was on the fence about a big contract.
3. Rumors circulated that the Patriots were close to signing Peppers.
4. Everyone in Patriots nation sung praises for Peppers and Belichick.
5. Peppers signed with another team that gave him a mega contract.
6. Everyone in Patriot nation called Peppers an "underachiever" who is just after the money.
7. Insiders said that the negotiations were almost finished, but the Patriots wouldn't pull the trigger by offering more.
8. The Patriots filled the pass rushing deficiency by signing a couple of aging journeymen and drafting a couple of OLBs in the second and third round.
9. The Patriots pass rush was not very good in 2010, although not as bad as 2009.
10. For the next five seasons, the Patriots finished with a better record than the team that signed Peppers.

6. Everyone in Patriot nation called Peppers an "underachiever" who is just after the money.
7. Insiders said that the negotiations were almost finished, but the Patriots wouldn't pull the trigger by offering more.
8. The Patriots filled the pass rushing deficiency by signing a couple of aging journeymen and drafting a couple of OLBs in the second and third round.
9. The Patriots pass rush was not very good in 2010, although not as bad as 2009.
10. For the next five seasons, the Patriots finished with a better record than the team that signed Peppers.

Thanks for the laugh.

You left out one peice of the timeline...Media and Fans alike cry about how the pats are cheap because they didn't shell out big money for Peppers. Even though in the end they spent no more or less than would have.

Wash, rinse, dry. Repeat.

Could we turn this into a template?:

1. <PLAYER> became a free agent.
3. Rumors circulated that the Patriots were close to signing <PLAYER>.
4. Everyone in Patriots nation sung praises for <PLAYER> and Belichick.
5. <PLAYER> signed with another team that gave him a mega contract.
6. Everyone in Patriot nation called <PLAYER> an "underachiever" who is just after the money.
8. The Patriots filled the <PLAYER'S STRENGTH> deficiency by signing a couple of aging journeymen and drafting a couple of <PLAYER'S POSITION> in the second and third round.
9. The Patriots <PLAYER'S STRENGTH>was not very good in <CURRENT YEAR>, although not as bad as <LAST YEAR>.
10. For the next five seasons, the Patriots finished with a better record than the team that signed <PLAYER>.

Last edited:

Yeah I agree with you and DW that Edwards would be a great add. Love his size and athleticism. I think Minny is expected to slap him with a 1st and 3rd round tender though unfortunately.

I know Hardy has had some problems staying healthy, but the more I look at him, the more I see Ray Edwards. A guy who will likely slide in the draft with some possible attitude/work ethic issues, both played 4-3 DE but seem to have the athleticism to play OLB in the 3-4, both are around 6'4/6'5 270-280 and ran in the 4.8's at the combine. I want to see how Hardy works out at his Pro Day first, but if Hardy's health checks out, I think he'd be a good add late in the 2nd round with a game comparable to Edwards.

Could we turn this into a template?:

1. <PLAYER> became a free agent.
3. Rumors circulated that the Patriots were close to signing <PLAYER>.
4. Everyone in Patriots nation sung praises for <PLAYER> and Belichick.
5. <PLAYER> signed with another team that gave him a mega contract.
6. Everyone in Patriot nation called <PLAYER> an "underachiever" who is just after the money.
8. The Patriots filled the <PLAYER'S STRENGTH> deficiency by signing a couple of aging journeymen and drafting a couple of <PLAYER'S POSITION> in the second and third round.
9. The Patriots <PLAYER'S STRENGTH>was not very good in <CURRENT YEAR>, although not as bad as <LAST YEAR>.
10. For the next five seasons, the Patriots finished with a better record than the team that signed <PLAYER>.

There should be an extra draft pick in there somehow, like a second-rounder the Patriots get that's traded for a third-rounder this year and a third-rounder the next year. Then the second third-rounder is inexplicably traded for a sixth and a seventh. The guy picked in the sixth round makes the practice squad but is picked up mid-season by Minnesota. The seventh-rounder guy is cut in training camp.

Last edited:
Re: Hold the Peppers

Am I the only one that *doesn't* think it's a good idea to sign an expensive and seemingly high-maintenance DE to help replace our expensive high-maintenance LB?
Nope, but we easily get lost in the crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes