PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN MVP poll

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to win an MVP you need to pad your stats. Thats the way to win. Which is kinda sad.

Who's talking about Brady having an 'off' year? I haven't heard anybody say that. It's not his best season, it might not even be in the top 3, but he's playing better than Manning did in 3 of his MVP years, for example.
Agreed. I haven't heard much, if any, of that stuff. I think the consensus both nationally and locally is that he's having a terrific year. It just seems that it's AR's year and having the poll the day after Brees' performance last night would lead to the type of poll numbers which are there. I don't care, it's not like Brady's being robbed, or anything, and I'm much more focused on the play-offs and how the team will do.

What I'm saying is before I saw the results, I would have guessed like 15% Brady, 18% Brees, then Rodgers.

Or something like that

Well either the general fans are getting smarter, because in all honesty those guys do deserve it, or it's just another example of ESPN's influence. Though I gotta say, they haven't shown much of Rodgers lately and fans haven't lost sight of him.

Personally I feel that while Brees's records are impressive, and he's a pretty cool dude to top it off, as far as individual performance and contribution to the team, Rodgers is basically the equivalent of Brady in 2007, if not more so. People are getting too swayed by the yards record, but Brees has a lot more weapons on that offense, while Rodgers has been phenomenal overall this year.

Well either the general fans are getting smarter, because in all honesty those guys do deserve it, or it's just another example of ESPN's influence. Though I gotta say, they haven't shown much of Rodgers lately and fans haven't lost sight of him.

Personally I feel that while Brees's records are impressive, and he's a pretty cool dude to top it off, as far as individual performance and contribution to the team, Rodgers is basically the equivalent of Brady in 2007, if not more so. People are getting too swayed by the yards record, but Brees has a lot more weapons on that offense, while Rodgers has been phenomenal overall this year.
Take a moment of quiet reflection and be thankful for these news stories/debates and under-saturation of the importance of Tim Tebow to the world these past weeks. ;)

Last edited:
Who cares? Let's just focus on winning this week!

Quite surprised by the voting actually. I thought it would be 70-80 % rodgers than the rest brees/brady.

Rodgers is indeed having a 2007 bradyesque year (45-6 TD), and he could easily end up with 48-49 tds if he plays next game

Rodgers deserves the mvp.I could care less.Brady just needs to play like an mvp in 2 playoff games.He needs to step it up along with the team in the playoffs.MVP is just a hardware.Do ur thing in the playoffs.

It'd be the exact same if a QB like Manning were in there against Brees and Rodgers.

While I agree that Brady is having a great yr, he is a clear-cut 3rd best.

At least they included him against the other 2, to me that's showing a lot.

You've have to be lying if you claimed that Brady had an MVP shot this yr against those other 2.

amen, just because he has been great doesn't mean he has been the best. This year he definitely wasn't. We shouldn't take it as insult when people across the country all do vote for the guy who does deserve it.

Tom Brady shouldn't even be winning Massachusetts.

After all, we all considered Michael Vick to be a clear (yet very distant) 2nd place person in the MVP race. When he didn't even get a single vote, I didn't hear anyone cry that he got no votes. The reason is simple, everyone voted for the correct candidate. I bet all voters would have agreed that Vick was second, but they could only vote for one person and that was the deserving person (Tom Brady).

I expect Brady to get NO votes this year.

Amazing

Brady is getting hosed, but I can't believe the results.

As you can tell from my screen name, I love Tom Brady as much as anyone, but he doesn't deserve the MVP this year. He's behind Brees and Rodgers in TDs and yards thrown. Plus he has thrown more interceptions than Rodgers. I know Brady's supporting cast is not as good as Brees or ROdgers, but people care more about the numbers. In my view, he lost the MVP race with that dreadful performance against Buffalo.

There have only been about 25K votes cast, but do not expect Brady to make it in this poll...

Amazing

Brady is getting hosed, but I can't believe the results.

Ehh, what do they know?

The same poll on the main page of this site has Brady 46%, Rodgers 37% and Brees 16% right now. :D

Frankly I'm not really surprised. The national media has been focused on (a) Rodgers, (b) Brees, (c) Rodgers vs Brees, and (d) 'oh yeah, there's that Tom Brady guy too'. And as far as fan voting goes, don't underestimate the power of the 'we're sick of Brady', 'we're sick of the Patriots' sentiment.

It does deserve to be closer, but really it's between Rodgers and Brees - even without the media attention on the Packers and Rodgers.

Rodgers is clearly the MVP. His stats and team record both come out on top.

Anybody think they'll go with the CO-MVP ?

Last edited:
IMO this shouldn't even be close. I don't care if Brees has more yards. Rodgers has a higher passer rating, much better TD/INT ratio, better team record, and unlike Brees, who laid an egg against and was the reason why the Saints lost vs TB/STL, Rodgers looked mortal in only 1 game all season.

The only reason why this is even a debate is because the Saints have been America's team since 06 and Brees is widely considered to be some sort of a demigod who's perfect in every way. He's like the sexy pick for everything, the "cool" and "classy" guy that no one's going to give you crap if you pick him for everything and anything.

A side note here, but take Brees out of a dome and he's a completely different player. If GB/NO clash for the NFC title, the cold Lambeau weather is going to be a huge factor because Brees doesn't have the arm strength of Rodgers.

Last edited:
Rodgers is going to win the MVP i could even see him playing a full game vs the lions cause he has a outside shot at Brady's TD record

the clear cut Most Valueable Player (MVP) is Peyton Manning. Without him in the line-up the colts have only won 2 games. He is missed for sure and the moxt valueable

Give any team Curtis painter or Dan orlovosky and they don't win many games. It's the colts fault for not having another competent qb.

Stats certainly make the case for Brees and Rodgers to be the MVP leaders this year. Just wish other stats where shown on top of those numbers (ie. pass defenses faced). Include that one little stat and Brady looks a little more impressive than the others.

Top 5 PD faced:

Rodgers - 0
Brees - 1 (Texans)
Brady - 3 (Steelers, Jets x2)

Top 10 PD faced:

Rodgers - 3 (Rams, Chiefs, Chargers)
Brees - 3 (Texans, Rams, Jaguars)
Brady - 6 (Steelers, Jets x2, Eagles, Chiefs, Chargers)

Bottom 5 PD faced:

Rodgers - 5 (Vikings x2, Bears x2, Saints)
Brees - 3 (Packers, Bears, Vikings)
Brady - 0

Bottom 10 PD faced:

Rodgers - 8 (Vikings x2, Bears x2, Saints, Giants, Raiders, Buccaneers)
Brees - 6 (Packers, Bears, Vikings, Giants, Buccaneers x2)
Brady - 5 (Dolphins x2, Giants, Raiders, Cowboys)

I can go a little further and look at games in which the team was indoors and didn't have to face the opponent on top of the elements.

Rodgers - 3 dome games
Brees - 11 dome games
Brady - 0 dome games

There are a lot of factors that allow for stats to be padded, and they aren't recognized a whole lot. There can be a very strong case for Brady for MVP this year, but that case will remain locked up in a cabinet and forgotten about. People are tired of Brady and want a new story. So let the people have their new MVP hero, Brady will get his recognition for this season hopefully when the superbowl rolls around.

Anybody think they'll go with the CO-MVP ?

I do. It's the chicken**** way out of this. Brees is the sentimental favorite because he broke the yardage record and got dissed when they gave it to Manning. Rodgers has overall had the better season with less weapons than Drew, so it's kinda hard to give it to Brees over him. Co-MVPs.

I wouldnt say clear cut at all. If you have the ability to not be a prisoner of the moment, and look at where you are playing (dome vs out doors) who you are playing with, and who you play against you'd see Brady is just about number 1.

Take in the fact that regardless of what we are told, the MVP is a team award. If Brady had even and average D, the pats would be 15-0 in all likelyhood and Rodgers and Brees would be afterthoughts, even if Brady had the exact same stats as he has at 12-3

just sayin.

I agree on your "15--0 (or even 14--1) vs. 12--3 point," but the "dome vs out doors" point is just we Pats fans whining. And, Rodgers plays in a pretty "out doors" venue there at Lambeau.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back