PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN: Mortenson and Polian discussing Dallas Clark

Lifer

Banned
Reaction score
Just now they were talking about how he would be a nice fit right now for the Patriots. Why not? Thoughts?

Just now they were talking about how he would be a nice fit right now for the Patriots. Why not? Thoughts?

Didn't we try this last year?

Didn't we try this last year?

Very true, but I do believe that the Patriots are in a somewhat different circumstance today than they were with the tight end position 365 days ago.

He is completely done. His legs are shot. He can't do anything now except get run over as a blocker. He is nothing but a name and I don't know why people keep bringing him up. It was obvious last season that he no longer had it.

I posted about this a while back in the TE thread...absolutely a good move, the Pats FO have to convince him to not retire though.

He is worth another look.

I would be happy to go with Sudfeld and hope he stays as healthy as the AH would of

I would be happy to go with Sudfeld and hope he stays as healthy as the AH would of

AHern was never really that healthy...always seemed dinged up. Sudfeld has an open opportunity to show what he has though.

Hmm Dallas Clark or Sudfield? HUGE difference. I don't see why not let him have a chance in camp. I wouldn't pay much more than vet min though and no guaranteed money please. Have a feeling Pats will be looking hard at TE for the 2014 draft.

Said this in other threads, but the nerves in his dominant hand are damaged and he can't fully close it. That's on top of being 34. Dallas Clark isn't Dallas Clark anymore.

But we already have the best tight end duo in the league! Oh wait... *sobs uncontrollably*

But we already have the best tight end duo in the league! Oh wait... *sobs uncontrollably*

Actually we still might. Ballard is legit.

Actually we still might. Ballard is legit.

In 2011, Jake Ballard was Eli's most reliable target in regards to 1st downs or a security blanket (big plays went to cruz) and was one of high runner ups for an NFC Probowl appearance. The thing I like about Ballard is he's tough, smart, really tall (6'7) has that nice size, tough to tackle and routes in addition to hands are very good. If you can recall, Tom Coughlin was really pissed when we grabbed Jake because he knows how good a healthy Jake Ballard really is. This is one of the most underrated pickups of our offseason a year ago. Rob Gronkowski and Jake Ballard could still be the top 1 2 punch.

I don't think anybody is suggesting that Dallas Clark is the same player that he was in 2008-09; that is obviously not the case, and anybody suggesting that is delusional.

On the other hand some of the negative portrayals may be a bit over the top as well. Last year Clark did have 47 receptions and four touchdown receptions. While it is true that he just turned 34, it is also true that he is further removed from his wrist surgery.

Clark was never noted for his blocking, that is not and never has been his forte. The Patriots have plenty of other tight ends who are stronger in the blocking game than they are as a receiver. The Pats now have a hole at the position for a TE who has good pass catching skills. Because of that I think it would be worth at least considering Clark, or another veteran TE, and not so quickly write him off.

Signing him (or another vet) does not mean the team is depending on him this season; all it does is fill a spot on the 90-man roster and give the team an opportunity to better evaluate him during training camp.

Unless Eric Alexander comes out of retirement and plays for an opponent of the Pats in 2013, I don't think Clark will be very successful in his last 9th inning of his career.

(still more pissed about 2007 AFCCG than any loss other than the 18-1, because of the 21-6 lead.

I'd bring him in. Sudfield might not have been drafted for a reason. NOT saying he can't be a contributor but younger does not mean better. Let them compete and may let the best player win. Or maybe neither of them make the roster. Just not into this whole go with the younger play regardless thing. Margin of error for winning a championship is so small. If ravens go younger instead of going with Jacoby Jones maybe Pats are talking repeat right now.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back