PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN Mock going on right now has us taking...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bakes781 said:
What if DeAngelo turns out to be the next Tomlinson with another team? As much as I like Manny Lawson he is still considered a "project". If the Cardinals hadn't signed Edge in the offseason Wiliams would be projected to go there at 10. Same could be said of the Vikings. We can't possibly expect Dillon to last a full season. I'm not saying he's necessarily my top choice at 21 but the value is there.

And what if he turns out to be Ki-jana Carter or Curtis Enis? You can't play that game. And I'm comfortable going into this season with Dillon as the lead back. We shouldn't be drafting to fill a potential need.

JJDChE said:
2005 Rushing Leaders

1 Shaun Alexander (1st)
2 Tiki Barber (2nd)
3 Larry Johnson (1st)

4 Clinton Portis (2nd)
5 Edgerrin James (1st)
6 LaDainian Tomlinson (1st)

7 Rudi Johnson (4th)
8 Warrick Dunn (1st)
9 Thomas Jones (1st)
10 Willis McGahee (1st)

So two of the top four rushers were 2nd rounders, and a 4th rounder was also in the top ten. Seems to support what I'm saying. Although really all it proves is that 2005 was an awful year for lead backs, when Thomas Jones and McGahee are the ninth and tenth leading rushers in the league.

Remix 6 said:
if we move up to 9 its gotta be either.
1)Huff
2) Davis
3) Lawson
4) Greenway

one of those guys at 9 if we move up

Or Harloti...

Last I checked DeAngleo didn't play for Penn St. lol j/k but seriously Manny Lawson, Jason Allen & Antonio Cromartie are more of a risk than DeAngelo.

Richter said:
Point two, it's not just measurables. His frame isn't ideal, and it shows in his injury history in college.

How many games has he missed?

Richter said:
Point three, he's just not that fast. I don't put any stock in 40 times, so that's not my concern. He actually timed decently there. He just doesn't play that fast, when I watched him he didn't seem like he exploded into holes. This is really the least of my concerns though, it's more that he doesn't have tremendous speed to offset his other issues.

I don't think he necessarily has eilte explosion, but for a #21 I think it's right there. Not top 10, like someone else mentioned.

Richter said:
Point four, he's carried the ball a ton in college. It matters. Maybe it shortens his NFL career a few years. Not a huge concern, but it's a negative.

I don't think it plays any role in whether or not a team would draft him.

Richter said:
Point five, Tomlinson was clearly leaps and bounds better than the competition he faced in college. Can't say the same for Williams, nor can you say he has talent anywhere near Tomlinson's level.

That's why Tomlinson was drafted 5th overall. There's a big difference between #5 and #21.

Richter said:
Point six and seven, I totally disagree. There are plenty of teams that have manufactured later round backs...

Like who?

Richter said:
So two of the top four rushers were 2nd rounders, and a 4th rounder was also in the top ten. Seems to support what I'm saying. Although really all it proves is that 2005 was an awful year for lead backs, when Thomas Jones and McGahee are the ninth and tenth leading rushers in the league.

7 1st rounders, 2 2nd rounders and 1 4th rounder. How does that agree with what your saying. My point was its a lot harder to get good RBs in later rounds.

If you assume there are about the same amount of RBs drafted in each round, that would mean there are 6 times as many RBs drafted after the first rd, but there are more than twice as many 1st rounders on that list. How is that showing there are a lot of good RBs available later?

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats went Offense in the 1st round. And particularly with Dillon getting closer to the "end" years.

Can't agree that DeAngelo WIlliams would be a bad pick because of height/weight and defenses faced. Barry Sanders was 5'8", 200lbs and his last year, when he carried the ball constantly, OU never faced many tough D's either. Matter of fact the few they did they lost the games.

Not that Williams is the next Sanders by any means......but what it IS ain;t always what it IS.

Last edited:
When do you put the candles & icing on the cake. After its baked, cooled and stacked.

The 5 year Plan is almost done but not quite. The Offense is virtually done; the OL, QBs, TEs, the big guy WR, are all under thirty, and the RBs are there too. But the RBs are getting old.

The Defense is 2/3 rds done. The DBs and DLs are all young and maturing. Oh sure, you can argue for a "shutdown" CB to improve it, but there are 5 corners and 4 safeties under 30; The DLis full of high picks.all well under thirty.

Only the LBs are a patchwork,with pieces from before BB arrived. Finish the re-building of the LBs and ST as it appears BB is doing, then spend the next draft on the icing and candles that have a short shelf life like the RBs.

Simple as baking a birthday cake.

Then collect three more Lombardis...

PS: (Its NOT coincidental that this draft has lots of LBs and the next one has lots of RBs and WRs. Do you think BB is a fool?)

ESPN is doing a mock on another "Draft Special" just now and had us taking Wimbley.

Last edited:
DaBruinz said:
That's not true. The Pats would probably have to trade their 1st and 2nd picks as well as their early 3rd rounder.

Basicly all the picks that tend to produce first year starters that would be a horrid move

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes