PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN Mock going on right now has us taking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richter

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
DeAngelo Williams. Can't say I'd be too happy if that happened, especially with Chad Jackson and Richard Marshall still on the board. Good thing the boys from Bristol are wrong so often.

No friggin way they take Williams like that. If anything, they trade down.
I'd take NEM making the picks for the Pats over those two. OK. Maybe not. But you all get the gist of it.

Williams would be an awesome pick for us.

Williams is a top 10 talent and he's a proven productive player who just so happens to play a position which handles the ball a ton of times per game. Exactly what you want with 1st round picks!

What's not to like about such a pick?

Takes two the play the trade down game. You need someone who wants to move up as well.

Bobs My Uncle said:

Williams is a top 10 talent
Then won't he be gone when we pick at 21?

spacecrime said:
Then won't he be gone when we pick at 21?
Depends on which teams need a RB prior to us picking.

Trades

Yesterday someone posted that BB was looking to move up to #13. Today a collegue in Michigan says one fof the newspaper's up there reported that BB called Millen about the #9 pick. (He's suppose to send me the link.) GBN wrote that New England was one of the teams interested in WR Walker of Green Bay.

Are these examples of disinformation or is BB just performing his due diligience as the draft nears?????

if we move up to 9 its gotta be either.
1)Huff
2) Davis
3) Lawson
4) Greenway

one of those guys at 9 if we move up

Bobs My Uncle said:

Williams is a top 10 talent and he's a proven productive player who just so happens to play a position which handles the ball a ton of times per game. Exactly what you want with 1st round picks!

I don't consider him a top 10 talent, not even close in this draft. He was productive in college, which is a positive indicator, but it doesn't impress me, especially with the level of competition he faced. And who cares how many times he handles the ball? Richard Seymour is lucky to handle the ball 3 or 4 times a season, did that make him a bad first round pick? I'll tell you what's not to like - for the NFL he's small, he's slow, he already has plenty of tread worn off his tires, he'll be making a bigger leap in terms of competition in comparison to other prospects, and taking a running back in the first round is always a shakier investment than other positions. Running backs have short shelf lives, and good ones can be found in later rounds. I'd be much happier to take a defensive player in the first to bolster the back 7, then look at a guy like Addai in the second as a much better value.

Remix 6 said:
if we move up to 9 its gotta be either.
1)Huff
2) Davis
3) Lawson
4) Greenway

one of those guys at 9 if we move up

If the Pats move up to 9, it's got to be for Huff.

is there a reason Greenway fell to #28 in this?? would u call that realistic? wouldn't the pats have taken him at #21 in a heartbeat considering who was gone and who wasnt?

Keegs said:
is there a reason Greenway fell to #28 in this?? would u call that realistic? wouldn't the pats have taken him at #21 in a heartbeat considering who was gone and who wasnt?

I doubt the draft shakes out like this. The run of defensive players could happen, but one of those teams in the middle of the round is going to be enticed by a receiver or running back. More than one of the top linebackers is going to be there for the Pats, I'm willing to bet, including Greenway.

Bobs My Uncle said:

What's not to like? Hmm? Where to start?

1) Quality of competition he faced. It was pretty poor his entire college career. When he was supposed to face a quality defense with tons of scouts in the stands, his injury miraculously flared up after saying he was going to play. Sorry, the coach's comments afterwards smell like a coach trying to do damage control and protect his player's reputation.
2) Seems to milk injuries
3) TOO much tread worn off his tires already.
4) Doesn't break many tackles.
5) Can't block to save his life.
6) Has problems picking up the blitz.

Sorry, I don't believe the hype about Williams. I don't believe he is top 10 talent.

Richter said:
I don't consider him a top 10 talent, not even close in this draft. He was productive in college, which is a positive indicator, but it doesn't impress me, especially with the level of competition he faced. And who cares how many times he handles the ball? Richard Seymour is lucky to handle the ball 3 or 4 times a season, did that make him a bad first round pick? I'll tell you what's not to like - for the NFL he's small, he's slow, he already has plenty of tread worn off his tires, he'll be making a bigger leap in terms of competition in comparison to other prospects, and taking a running back in the first round is always a shakier investment than other positions. Running backs have short shelf lives, and good ones can be found in later rounds. I'd be much happier to take a defensive player in the first to bolster the back 7, then look at a guy like Addai in the second as a much better value.
Fair. So who do you like @ 21 nstead?

What if Addai isn't there in the 2nd?

If the Patriots trade up to the top 10 and DON'T take Michael Huff I will cry.

DaBruinz said:
What's not to like? Hmm? Where to start?

1) Quality of competition he faced. It was pretty poor his entire college career. When he was supposed to face a quality defense with tons of scouts in the stands, his injury miraculously flared up after saying he was going to play. Sorry, the coach's comments afterwards smell like a coach trying to do damage control and protect his player's reputation.
2) Seems to milk injuries
3) TOO much tread worn off his tires already.
4) Doesn't break many tackles.
5) Can't block to save his life.
6) Has problems picking up the blitz.

Sorry, I don't believe the hype about Williams. I don't believe he is top 10 talent.
Fair. So who do you like @ 21 instead?

I don't see the Pats trading up to #10. Why? Because of VALUE. It will take either our #2 or a combination of out picks to get us there. And I just don't see it happening. BB's not one to waste picks like that.

I mean, what is the most that BB has moved up in the draft? In the 1st round, I think its 2-3 slots at most.

In order for us to move all the way up to 9 we'd have to basically trade our entire draft.

Bobs My Uncle said:
Fair. So who do you like @ 21 instead?

I see the Pats taking either Carpenter or Greenway. They could take Chad Jackson there, though I don't think he fits into their value scheme in the 1st round. Marcus McNeil could be another candidate, taking Gorin's place on the roster and giving the Pats tremendous depth at tackle. I think that McNeil would push both Light and Kaczur for playing time and a starting position.

Personally, if the draft worked out like that, I would be on the phone to Houston to find out if the Texans wanted to move their #2 pick (33) and a #3 pick for the 21st. Or a deal where the Pats would trade their 1st and 2nd picks for #33, #66, and a 2nd next year.

I think that Casserly would be drooling at the possibility of moving up to take McNeil and give Carr an legitimate OT to help solidify their O-line.

bakes781 said:
In order for us to move all the way up to 9 we'd have to basically trade our entire draft.

That's not true. The Pats would probably have to trade their 1st and 2nd picks as well as their early 3rd rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back