PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN: Mike Wright re-signed to 4-year/$7.5M deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely understand your point, but my point is guys like Mike Wright shouldn't just be paid slightly below the team avg. If there ever was a guy that should be paid Vet Min, he seems like the guy. I'll ask again, what has he done to make you think he should paid any more than the Vet Min.

Like I said earlier, my worry is the Pats are becoming more and more void of playmakers. I just think overpaying for guys like that is hurting this D. As last year went on, I found myself literally expecting teams to convert on 3rd and long situations. That should never be the case. In my opinion, the reason for this is the lack of playmakers on D (particularly at OLB). I think overpaying for guys at the bottom of your roster can be just as detrimental as overpaying guys at the top. It seems the Pats are sacrificing top level talent on D for depth, and it really shows.
You completely lost me in your bias by indirectly making Mike Wright responsible for the team's woes on defense in long yardage situation on 3rd down.

I'm looking forward to getting the players back on defense healthy again this season to see the parallels between our defensive struggles of last season to the new season.

Solid backup signing. I guess we can scratch DT/DE off the needs list now.
Well...no...if there is of balue a DE/DT that slipped an done they have been looking at..I would expect them to draft him. The NEED is not there...but I still think it's very possible they will draft one.

i wonder if j.taylor will want his number

I'm kind of theorizing here,but....

Isn't part of the value the fact that when Wright goes in for Wilfork, the defense is a little bit DIFFERENT and a little more UNPREDICTABLE? Wright is smaller than Wilfork, and quicker. (Sorry Vince!) So when opponents game plan, if they know Wright gets some snaps, they have more to prepare for and worry about.

Since Wright knows the defense so well by now, Belichick & Co. can continue to teach him new wrinkles with stunting linebackers, etc., that Wright will be better able to implement than a free agent JAG backup NT would.

I like the re-signing.

One last time, what has he done to make anyone think he should be paid anything more than Vet Min?

OK,

He is good size 6'4" and 295#, rightsized for the 3-4. He also runs runs a sub 4.8 40, that no one, including Sey, a HOF player does on the Dl. He can backup both the DEs, and can backup the NT for some relief stints, but not for long in heavy run defending. But he can play an entire game against a pass oriented offense, such as the Clots.

For the STs, his speed and competitiveness lets him play superbly as wedge buster, and wedge on the KO and KOR teams. That is an unglamorous position,but absolutely necessary and Seeley has more than once spoken of how hard it is to find talented players that can and will do that dirty work.

And he has a sack average percentage, that is very good on a per snap played basis.

Now what else would you like to know about a reserve here, on the best 3-4 DL in the league?:cool::D

OK,

He is good size 6'4" and 295#, rightsized for the 3-4. He also runs runs a sub 4.8 40, that no one, including Sey, a HOF player does on the Dl. He can backup both the DEs, and can backup the NT for some relief stints, but not for long in heavy run defending. But he can play an entire game against a pass oriented offense, such as the Clots.

For the STs, his speed and competitiveness lets him play superbly as wedge buster, and wedge on the KO and KOR teams. That is an unglamorous position,but absolutely necessary and Seeley has more than once spoken of how hard it is to find talented players that can and will do that dirty work.

And he has a sack average percentage, that is very good on a per snap played basis.

Now what else would you like to know about a reserve here, on the best 3-4 DL in the league?:cool::D

Guy seems like he's worth more salt that Jarvis Green, imho. But at the present having both is very good for us.

Doesn't wright come in on two DL formations?

Guy seems like he's worth more salt that Jarvis Green, imho. But at the present having both is very good for us.

Doesn't wright come in on two DL formations?

Well JSN this may place Green as part of a draft day trade. Wanna to start another Peppers rumor? :horn:

As even the Wright supporters have ceded, Wright is horrible at defensive end. I would say that he is perhaps a nice change-of-pace kind of backup NT, on obvious passing downs. One poster also brought up that he plays an integral piece as a wedge buster on special teams. I guess I can live with this signing, though I hope his contract is back-loaded and that in the first few years he is making closer to 1M than 2M.

Well JSN this may place Green as part of a draft day trade. Wanna to start another Peppers rumor? :horn:

Tempting... hehe

I'm putting Julie Peeps in the tackle box. Rather see a cheap and wiley noob (Crable or a draftee) in there. Let someone else break the bank and convert him.

If the Pats do it, though, I'll take it all back and call it brilliant. :D

Tempting... hehe

I'm putting Julie Peeps in the tackle box. Rather see a cheap and wiley noob (Crable or a draftee) in there. Let someone else break the bank and convert him.

If the Pats do it, though, I'll take it all back and call it brilliant. :D

Unfortunately Crable missed a year of development. Right now, excepting Thomas, I don't see that every down starting OLB. JT may not even be that guy at his age. Woods is probably the closest, but I'm leery. OLB by committee could get tough with the Colts and maybe Miami running a hurry up/no huddle offense. A draftee is always a risk. Converting Peppers is a risk. I'm at a loss, but see this position as the weakest on the team.

As even the Wright supporters have ceded, Wright is horrible at defensive end.

I don't remember any Wright supporter say that he is horrible at defensive end. I'm too tired to look again, I'll let you do the leg work. I swear sometimes you and DW Toys just make stuff up as you go along. He is an adequate backup on all three DL spots, however he does need to improve defending the run. His strength, as you said, is as a change-of-pace NT on passing downs. And as Patchick pointed out, how are you going to replace all that for less money?

I don't remember any Wright supporter say that he is horrible at defensive end. I'm too tired to look again, I'll let you do the leg work. I swear sometimes you and DW Toys just make stuff up as you go along. He is an adequate backup on all three DL spots, however he does need to improve defending the run. His strength, as you said, is as a change-of-pace NT on passing downs. And as Patchick pointed out, how are you going to replace all that for less money?
Mav's been taking a lot of sour pills again, I guess some trips just have a rough landing.

i do not dislike this re-signing: he is a good back up; now i would like to see Wilfork extended

You have to consider some context here on DL signings.

Comparison:
DL Chris Canty, 6-7 304, 26 years, 37 tackles and 3.0 sacks: 6 years $42mm
DL Antonio Smith, 6-4 285, 27 yrs, 41 tackles and 3.5 sacks: 5 years $35mm
DL Mike Wright, 6-4 295, 27 years, 28 tackles and 2.5 sacks: 4 years $7.5mm

The cost of young free agent defensive linemen is pretty high, as seen by some of these deals.
Now Mike Wright is not Chris Canty, but Canty may not be able to play NT in our system, nor play special teams. And Wright is a classic example of a guy who may be 80% as good, but costs 30%.

Wright costs only about 40% of the cost of Jarvis Green, and I don't see that much drop-off. With Green a free agent next year, I am very comfortable letting that $5.4mm a year go, and slide Wright into that spot, with another year of experience, at less than half the cost. Even if it pushed the cost of Wright up a little to get those extra years, from say 25% of Antonio Smith to 30% of Antonio Smith, it's probably worth it for the security of having a decent back-up to spell all three DL.

Ok, so your point is just wrong, then.

Thanks, got it.

Thank goodness we have someone like you to police anyone who's opinion is wrong (or at least differs with yours)

But overall I agree that Wright is a quality backup who is versatile and knows our system - a wise signing with Wilfork up in the air which gives the Patriots just a bit of security (though not much with Wright nowhere near Wilfork's caliber) if Wilfork decides to play hardball in extension negotiations.

Thank goodness we have someone like you to police anyone who's opinion is wrong (or at least differs with yours)

But overall I agree that Wright is a quality backup who is versatile and knows our system - a wise signing with Wilfork up in the air which gives the Patriots just a bit of security (though not much with Wright nowhere near Wilfork's caliber) if Wilfork decides to play hardball in extension negotiations.

So you agree and you even comment on it, I shouldn't have opined that the person's point was wrong.

Brilliant!

Last edited:

Comparison:

The cost of young free agent defensive linemen is pretty high, as seen by some of these deals.
Now Mike Wright is not Chris Canty, but Canty may not be able to play NT in our system, nor play special teams. And Wright is a classic example of a guy who may be 80% as good, but costs 30%.

Wright costs only about 40% of the cost of Jarvis Green, and I don't see that much drop-off. With Green a free agent next year, I am very comfortable letting that $5.4mm a year go, and slide Wright into that spot, with another year of experience, at less than half the cost. Even if it pushed the cost of Wright up a little to get those extra years, from say 25% of Antonio Smith to 30% of Antonio Smith, it's probably worth it for the security of having a decent back-up to spell all three DL.

nice post..........I completely agree

So you agree and you even comment on it, I shouldn't have opined that the person's point was wrong.

Brilliant!

Thanks!

And as you now consider me brilliant (apparently because I agree with your opinion about Wright) try to keep in mind that OPINIONS are not right or wrong. Different people will have different opinions - about all sorts of things, including whether or not someone will have a successful football career.

Comparison:
Eye opening numbers

Wright is a classic example of a guy who may be 80% as good, but costs 30%.
Gee, this sure sounds like a BB-type signing. :D

No, I'm not 11 and I have watched Pats games for as long as I can remember. "Frigin Stacked"????? We have nobody, and I mean nobody who can get after the qb on a consistent basis. Adalius has 1 season of double digit sacks in his career, and he will be 32 when the season starts. I do not base my opinion of the Pats players only on stats. In my opinion, Ty Warren is one of the best players on our D, and he is by no means a stat machine. Just does his job very well. I am pleased with the Springs and Bodden signings (especially Bodden - watch Vikings/Lions game #1 from last year - he was everywhere). However, if we do not get some playmakers to pressure the qb, we could have a young Michael Haynes and D. Sanders back there and it will not matter.
Yeah, those guys are the worst defense line in the league. I'll just be glad if they could give us just one winning season for a change. I'm tired of all these 3-13 and 4-12 seasons year after year. Gimme a break. All you want are ESPN highlight clips. You call them playmakers when they make flashy plays and scrubs when they work as effective and efficient anonymous parts of a team defense.

THe Pats have had weak secondaries for a long time. THe DL is the reason the Pats defense is better than average, sometimes in the top 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back