PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN: Mike Wright re-signed to 4-year/$7.5M deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike Wright is an excellent back up to Wilfork. His struggles against the run were when he was playing DE and not NT. He made a miraculous jump in production when he slid over to NT late in the season. He struggled a lot at DE though. Great insurance for if Wilfork goes down.

A good signing..he also plays ST..and has been getting better and better at nose as a backup...

I'm of two minds on this. One I think the deal is a little rich for a Back-up D-Lineman, but given the Patriots propensity to rotate the DLine based on what package they want in there, I am not terribly surprised with the move. It is roughly the same type of deal that Green got back a few years ago. So the numbers are not terrible.

But I would have thought getting Wilfork a new deal would have been a much higher priority. Wright is not capable of being a full-time replacement at the Nose. There is no way you would want to be a 3-4 team with Wright as your primary nose tackle. So now the options are limited to how you address the nose tackle position.

Trading up and drafting a guy high, like a Raji, is not to desirable, since you would then have three guys at one spot, all getting paid at a high price tag. Drafting a guy later is an option, but then that guy would need to be able step in next year and do the job, if you drafted and let him be a reserve year one then resigned Wilfork, you would be overloaded at the position.

So in my mind, which is a dark and twisted place, resigning Wright to this type of deal means that you need to resign Wilfork. Which I would have thought should have been done first.

I'm of two minds on this. One I think the deal is a little rich for a Back-up D-Lineman, but given the Patriots propensity to rotate the DLine based on what package they want in there, I am not terribly surprised with the move. It is roughly the same type of deal that Green got back a few years ago. So the numbers are not terrible.

But I would have thought getting Wilfork a new deal would have been a much higher priority. Wright is not capable of being a full-time replacement at the Nose. There is no way you would want to be a 3-4 team with Wright as your primary nose tackle. So now the options are limited to how you address the nose tackle position.

Trading up and drafting a guy high, like a Raji, is not to desirable, since you would then have three guys at one spot, all getting paid at a high price tag. Drafting a guy later is an option, but then that guy would need to be able step in next year and do the job, if you drafted and let him be a reserve year one then resigned Wilfork, you would be overloaded at the position.

So in my mind, which is a dark and twisted place, resigning Wright to this type of deal means that you need to resign Wilfork. Which I would have thought should have been done first.

Why would it make any difference at all which player is resigned first?

Re: Per ESPN: Mike Wright re-signs

Keep in mind this guy is, at most, 5th on the DL depth chart (possibly 6th if LeKevin Smith jumps him). $2mil/yr seems like an awful lot for that.

Wrong. He is the primary backup for Wilfork, so 2nd on the depth chart would be more accurate.

Why would it make any difference at all which player is resigned first?

I do not know what Wilforks cap hit is going to be going forward. It might not be possible to fit both contracts. And it limits the viabilty of drafting a guy. But that is just from a purely chess match POV.

I like this deal.

Young versatile big defensive linemen do not sign vetmin deals. This is good value for a back-up DL. Mike can rotate at several positions, fills a big-man ST role. Knows the system. Good guy. Long-term deal that pays him for performance, but doesn't cost much if he doesn't produce.

The off-season keeps getting better.

I do not know what Wilforks cap hit is going to be going forward. It might not be possible to fit both contracts. And it limits the viabilty of drafting a guy. But that is just from a purely chess match POV.

I'm sure the capologists have already planned this scenario out far in advance.

There is no chance in hell BB will let Wilfork get away.

My assessment is based on him getting absolutely mauled whenever teams run at him, and his inability to get any pressure on the qb. Do you disagree with this assessment?

yup...............

I completely tuned out your argument when you stated he compares favorably to Olshansky. Olshansky is a proven starter in the NFL and was a starter on the Chargers D when they had one of the best run defenses in the NFL. I'll state it again, Wright is a bum. I can't even give him the title of JAG.

Luckily you don't work for the Patriots.

My assessment is based on him getting absolutely mauled whenever teams run at him, and his inability to get any pressure on the qb. Do you disagree with this assessment?
Absolutely.....

I'm sure the capologists have already planned this scenario out far in advance.

There is no chance in hell BB will let Wilfork get away.

Yeah, well I thought Samuel would not get away either.

With the Haynesworth deal setting the bar, and Mankins being another guy I want to see extended, and no idea what the salary cap will look like going forward, Mike Wright getting ~2 mil a year, to me is a luxury.

Yeah, well I thought Samuel would not get away either.

With the Haynesworth deal setting the bar, and Mankins being another guy I want to see extended, and no idea what the salary cap will look like going forward, Mike Wright getting ~2 mil a year, to me is a luxury.

How many truly elite 3-4 NT's are there in the league?

He's probably the single most important player on the defense. Letting Samuel go was rough, but cornerbacks are eminently more replaceable than someone like Wilfork. I'll eat my hat if he's not resigned, because he is near impossible to replace in such a short timeframe.

How many truly elite 3-4 NT's are there in the league?

He's probably the single most important player on the defense. Letting Samuel go was rough, but cornerbacks are eminently more replaceable than someone like Wilfork. I'll eat my hat if he's not resigned, because he is near impossible to replace in such a short timeframe.

Which makes them expensive. Wilfork is going to command a big contract. I am still not sure if the FO will pay it.

I thought it might be possible to draft a guy like Brace in the second round or so and have him back-up vince this year and then see if he can get the job done next year. But I think with Wright being penciled in as the number 2, that is a bit more difficult. But maybe not, maybe the detials with Wilfork are already to the ROM level and everyone is comfortable with them, and this deal is known to be within reason.

I just would feel better if Wilfork was resigned first.

Sweet just got on, good deal keeps good depth FYI he will be 31 in 4 years. For anyone who says hes garbage or bad what else do you suggest we do? because apparently the front office thinks hes worth keeping...

I credit you for giving consistent sound arguments and using reason to back up your points. However, when it comes to Mike Wright, saying that he is a strong special teams player and fast for a big fat guy, doesn't really make the argument more persuasive that he is a solid value at 2M. From what I've seen, he is a major liability against the run and is below average across all three DL positions. He may be fast and tries hard, but I don't know if that is enough justification.

I posted that free agency list a few posts ago. How is Wright at 2M a better value over those other players?

Ahem.

ImgDyn.cfm

We might need that on the Belistrator...

fatguyani.gif

;)

Yeah, but he is PICKING HIS NOSE!!!!

Great signing Wright has been a solid back-up for a couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes