Welcome to PatsFans.com

ESPN: Manning > Brady?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Interception, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Interception

Interception Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 1 / -1

#95 Jersey

Peyton Manning bests Tom Brady in ESPN.com's quarterback voting - ESPN

Apparently, Manning is better at a last-minute drive... even after his superbowl pick six and Brady's drives for the superbowl winning FGs.

History will also remember Manning more... rather than Brady's three superbowl rings and 16-0 season.

Manning is also smarter... because he makes fewer mistakes throwing into coverage?

Manning is also the better lead... despite Brady's constant displays of leadership.

The older Manning also has more years left than Brady... because of Brady's injury two years ago?

Oh, let's not forget the best one... Manning would make a better coach because Brady has long hair.
  2. Bella*chick

Bella*chick Addicted to the light

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

An incredibly stupid poll voted on by incredibly stupid people.
  3. sieglo

sieglo Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Don't forget -- Manning is the most mobile QB in the NFL. LOL.
  4. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,135 / 52 / -64

Disable Jersey

Brady is in the conversation about G.O.A.T.. Manning's in the conversation about top 10.

That should be 'nuff said for the talking heads, but they just can't make the connection.
  5. BradyToAmendola

BradyToAmendola Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 5 / -3

People still compare the two? I thought Peyton pretty much killed his chance of ever being mentioned in the same breath w/ Brady after that game clinching pick-6 in the super bowl last year.

I think Peyton vs Rivers would be a more productive comparison at this point.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  6. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +502 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

What do you get when you get a guy who has the lowest TD-INT ration in the history of the NFL, who has three Super Bowl Rings, two Super Bowl MVPs, the single season TD record, and the highest winning percentage in the Super Bowl era? Someone who is making the case for the GOAT.

What do you get when you get a guy who has won one Super Bowl, has one Super Bowl MVP, threw a game-ending pick six in another Super Bowl, has a very pedestrian playoff record, and has won multiple regular season MVPs, regularly followed by playoff disappointment? Someone who just falls short.
  7. alphilip77

alphilip77 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Bingo! We have Bingo!
  8. DropKickFlutie

DropKickFlutie Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Not saying I agree with the poll, but Tom Brady hasn't exactly been Mr. Clutch for about 5 years now. His 2nd half and 4th quarter QB ratings haven't been very hot for over 25 games.
    The Colts have enjoyed the upper hand in most of our match ups since about 2005 as well.
  9. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Rookie

Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -2

No Jersey Selected

That's the thing. It's a reader a poll on ESPN.com; most Pats fans have stopped checking in with anything ESPN (except Reiss's blog) for a while now. Who here even knew there was such a poll?
  10. MNF

MNF Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

ESPN:
    3. WHOM WOULD YOU WANT AT QUARTERBACK TO WIN ONE PLAYOFF GAME?...........EDGE, BRADY (4-1)

Let's see. Who would you have be your QB when playing the most important game of the season. The answer is TB...............Doesn't the comparison start and end with this question? The rest of the criterion are off on tangents which are meaningless.

I couldn't care less who they think will have more years left, who will be a better coach or who will be better remembered. These are all guesses
  11. Ron Sellers

Ron Sellers Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well said.

There's not really much else to say other than that.
  12. Jangles

Jangles PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Considering the Manning/media love affair I'm surprised some of the categories were that close.

A couple were head scratchers though, no more than Peyton having more good years left, I don't see how a much older, more seasoned player has a better chance to be around longer.
  13. SVN

SVN Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0

saw jamie dukes and rod woodson debating today and surprising dukes cut short woodson when they were talking how manning is doing more with less saying that barring the 1 yr with moss, brady has had no body forever whereas manning has 1st rounders after 1st rounders surrounded around him so he gave huge props to brady but pickd the colts to win because of our young defense and secondary.
  14. TriplecHamp

TriplecHamp Rookie

Ratings:
    +77 / 1 / -0

#24 Jersey

15. PYPER

PYPER Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Don't get worked up by these stupid polls. Their careers are far from over and when its all said and done, I believe the guy who's truly the better QB separate himself by a large distance. When its all said and done Brady will retire with more SB championships than any QB before him while Manning will continue his struggles in the games that matter most. Ultimately there will be no contest here. It's just going to take the masses some time to figure out what we already know.

Nobody's better than Tommy.
  16. PYPER

PYPER Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Five years? I realize the team sucked last year in the clutch but how did one year morph into five years?

The '05 team was devasted by injuries when they played the Colts. They were arguably playing the best football in the league by playoff time but got jobbed by bad officiating and made too many mistakes to overcome it.

The '06 team was by far our weakest team in terms of talent, especially on offense. That team had 4-12 talent on offense and realistically, even with Brady/Belichick, had no business being better than 9-7. Instead they went 12-4, beat a very good 14-2 Chargers team on the road in the playoffs, and then raced off to a huge lead at Indy in the AFC Championship before collapsing (a bad flu bug had overtaken many players) in the second half of that game. Ultimately, we just didn't have the depth to overcome the flu bug.

The '07 team dominated nearly everyone until the Super Bowl but in the few games they were pushed, Brady led them to come from behind victories (Eagles, Ravens, Giants).

Then Brady got hurt and missed a season. He returned as a shaddow of his former self which was probably 50% a result of his injury and 50% playing for a brand new OC (play caller). Despite his struggles, his statistics were actually pretty good which proves one again how statistics are misused and fail to tell the accurate story in football. Statistics work well in baseball, but not in football.

In '10 Brady is much closer to the QB he was before his injury. The team is still adjusting to new players and a change in offensive philosophy (the trading of Moss) but as the Steelers can attest to, they're starting to come around very nicely.
  17. SoonerPatriot

SoonerPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I'm so incredibly sick of this (non) debate. They are both great QBs. History will treat Brady slightly better because of the rings but they both deserve to be on the pantheon of great QBs of the modern era.

As for the immediate future I think Brady's chances of getting another ring are significantly higher than Manning's before he retires because of the talent BB has assembled the last couple of years and the draft picks that are coming up next April.

The "who would you want to lead a last minute drive" answers were ABSURD as was the "who will history treat better" answers. I guess rings don't count much with these slapdicks.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  18. Mountain_Commando

Mountain_Commando Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

It's terribly simple.

- If neither Brady nor Manning win another ring, Manning will be remembered as the better QB, not by much, same as he is now.

- If Manning wins another ring, the debate is sealed (for all non-Pats fans)

- If Brady wins another ring and Manning doesn't, more people will start coming around to Brady's camp, but Manning lovers will never turn

- If they both win another ring, same as (1).

For the sake of simplicity, I won't go into scenarios involving multiple rings, except for one...Brady wins more than one and Manning doesn't win any more, that's the ONLY thing that will cause Manning lovers to (begrudgingly) consider Brady better (or maybe not; system qb, tainted rings etc :rolleyes:)
  19. pherein

pherein Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I think most teams fans don't even think this is a competition.

I mean Bart Star won the most championships as a QB. The end.

Seeing P.Manning as the 8th greatest player in the NFL made me wonder what person rated this pole. He's a fool and does not understand what it takes to be a leader on a wining team.

Really how are Terry Bradshaw (4 SB), Bart Star (2 SB, 7 championships), troy aikman ( 3 SB) below PM with 1 SB, Its ridicules.

PM will be better than Brady when he gets 3 rings, or 1 more than Brady. Nothing less. Until then hes only equal to Brees.
    There are allot of good QB's but its so hard to score a ring that it has to be greatly respected above stats.

Brady is better till Maning can prove different. Its should be pretty easy for him, sense he's considered to the the best ever , oh besides Joe Montana.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  20. BradyMossWelker

BradyMossWelker Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Seriously, I want to see how they'll explain, 20 years from now, that the best quarterback in history(in their opinion) threw a game-losing pick six, in the superbowl...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.