PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN: Lombardi on Pats "starting price" for Cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how it would be. I'm just curious if there's any situation in which, assuming Cassel considers his first priority "best interest" to be a starter in '08 for a team he's signed to by minicamps, is there a type of 2-year deal that would help facilitate this more readily than just sticking with the franchise tender?

I do not think so without the Pats paying Cassel an upfront signing bonus and why would they do that when they can tag and trade him.

Here's another problem with the two-year hold-on Cassel to see what happens with Brady scenario.

If Cassel gets hurt in OTAs, passing camps, or TC, the Patriots would be on the hook for his cap numbers for two years.

Here's another problem with the two-year hold-on Cassel to see what happens with Brady scenario.

If Cassel gets hurt in OTAs, passing camps, or TC, the Patriots would be on the hook for his cap numbers for two years.
I think most people here realize that but see it as a risk worth taking; largely because the expectation is we would get good news on Brady and trade Cassel before training camo where the injury risk goes up a lot.

Like I said last night, I'm now thinking it will be a straight Franchise not a F&T. Franchise him. If another team signs him and gives up two #1s, great. If not then a trade can be considered down the road. If the worst case happens and Brady isn't back until 2010 we get two years out of Cassel and O'Connel would be ready as the backup in 2010. If a team called looking for a trade, I'd just tell them we're not talking - sign him and give up two #1s or go elsewhere.

This would simplify Cassel's thinking on a new contract with us IMO. Assuming no team is making him a UFA offer then it's simple, take the $14.8M and hope to be healthy for next year or take more (however it gets structured with bonuses and guarantees) now - no complications of other teams, trades, etc.

I realize 20 mill is a big number, but I still wonder why Cassel would restrict himself that way. He's on his way to being a STARTER, which he wants to be, and not for ONE more year in N.E. (his best-case scenario with the Patriots). The guy held the clipboard for 8 years, it's his time. He will be Franchised and traded to the highest bidder.

Last edited:
I realize 20 mill is a big number, but I still wonder why Cassel would restrict himself that way. He's on his way to being a STARTER, which he wants to be, and not for ONE more year in N.E. (his best-case scenario). The guy held the clipboard for 8 years, it's his time. He will be Franchised and traded to the highest bidder.
Cassel maybe wouldn't take 2/20 or 2/23. That's his choice, we don't know. But in order to play this year, taking a tradably (new word) structured 2 year deal would be good for his playing time. If Brady is out, he plays. If Brady is not out then it's easy for Cassel to be traded. If he were Franchised and played hardball and stayed with the team then if Brady was fine Cassel would make more money in 2010 but would spend 2009 on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back