PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN: Lombardi on Pats "starting price" for Cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.
And don't forget the outside chance that he may be OUR QB this season again if all doesn't go as we assume it will with TFB.
If we could sign him to a 2 year deal for $20M, fully guaranteed for Cassel's personal protection, that pays him, say $8M this year and $12M next year then I have no issue with holding him for a while. Let the draft pass, make sure Brady is OK. If Brady is not OK, I'm fine with Matt for another year then he's tradable. If Brady is OK there will still be a market for QB.

That contract would be wonderful if we could make it a win-win for both sides.

Thats why I was saying before that if the Chiefs gave us their #2, thats at 35
If they threw in Tyler Thigpen that would give the Patriots some Brady insurance. Or if not Thigpen some other serviceable player, or #2 of #3 in 2010.
I don't really want Thigpen, I'd prefer another pick and go with O'Connell as the backup.

and, please, if they get a #1, dont dance in the streets naked. please. :)
LOL, you won't see it - I live on a quiet street so I could do it in private :eek:

Let's just hope other teams are willing to give up something substantial.

I know this won't be a popular sentiment, but if I was a team looking to get a QB I would look at Derek Anderson's 2007 compared to his 2008, and might be a little weary of acquiring Cassel. I know we love him around here, but he's still far from a proven commodity. I just hope someone is willing to pony up big time.

Yeah, but anyone who was paying attention would have seen that DA had a great first half of 07, then, once Ds got film on him, had a horrible second half of the seasons.

2nd Half 2007 DA = 2008 DA

Conversely, Cassel improved dramatically from the first half of the season to second, and to close the season was arguably playing QB as well as anyone else in the league.

If we could sign him to a 2 year deal for $20M, fully guaranteed for Cassel's personal protection, that pays him, say $8M this year and $12M next year then I have no issue with holding him for a while. Let the draft pass, make sure Brady is OK. If Brady is not OK, I'm fine with Matt for another year then he's tradable. If Brady is OK there will still be a market for QB.

i would aslo prefer this, only prob is that form what i understand, this years draft is VERY good, and next years seems like a crap shoot

hence i would take the little risk and get the picks for this years draft

I would bank on the fact that if Brady misses all of next year, Cassel is the future of The New England Patriots.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but Cassel's worth isn't just based upon what he has done and what he MIGHT do. It's also going to be driven by market forces. The needs of a potential team, other QB's who may or may not be available through the draft, FA, or trades, etc.

In short, the game of Cassel's worth will be played by BB in the environment he excels at: Situational Awareness.

We can debate all we want to and conjecture and opine, but in the end, it comes down to a LOT of variables in the market as viewed not only by New England, but by the potential buyer as well.

respects,

Let's just hope other teams are willing to give up something substantial.

I know this won't be a popular sentiment, but if I was a team looking to get a QB I would look at Derek Anderson's 2007 compared to his 2008, and might be a little weary of acquiring Cassel. I know we love him around here, but he's still far from a proven commodity. I just hope someone is willing to pony up big time.

Or I could look at Brady 2001 vs Brady 2002.

No no no, he was saying "compare Anderson's 07 season to his 08 season", basically pointing out that an average or even bad QB can have a great season.

That being said, I still think if a team needs a QB they are better off getting Cassel than using a first rounder draft pick on a QB. Cassel has at least proven SOMETHING at the NFL level, as opposed to College QBs who haven't.

Thank you, this is exactly what I was saying.

I should clarify that I agree with those who have responded to my point that Cassel is a better bet than Anderson to sustain his 2008 performance.

That said, my point is that I can see where teams might make the comparison. After all, both are around the same age, were late round picks in exactly the same draft, and so far each has put together one solid NFL season.

A team that went out and and paid a lot to acquire Anderson after his 2007 would have egg on their faces right now, and I'm not yet convinced Cassel is a particularly better bet to continue to be a top-flight QB (I agree that it does seem he's better positioned, but it's far from a sure thing).

Last edited:
I don't really want Thigpen, I'd prefer another pick and go with O'Connell as the backup.

LOL, you won't see it - I live on a quiet street so I could do it in private :eek:

what would the other pick have to be? Would this years # 2 (35) and next years #2 be enough. or would you demand a #2 ( 35) and #3 (67) for 2009.

what would the other pick have to be? Would this years # 2 (35) and next years #2 be enough. or would you demand a #2 ( 35) and #3 (67) for 2009.

I'd get it all in this draft, for sure. So much talent, I think the First round will be two rounds long this year, if you know what I mean.

i would aslo prefer this, only prob is that form what i understand, this years draft is VERY good, and next years seems like a crap shoot

hence i would take the little risk and get the picks for this years draft
I do expect this year's draft to be stronger. However you can also get more if you're willing to take future picks. For argument's sake, let's say we could get a #1 and #3 in this draft (I think that's high but who am I to say). If we could (again, just hypothetical) then I bet the same team would trade the 2010 and 2011 #1 for him. Draft picks in the future when there's one or more seasons yet to be played and when the people making the trade may not even be with the team are traded away more easily whereas picks in current drafts tend to be overrated when team put names to the picks that they could have for the current season.

Or I could look at Brady 2001 vs Brady 2002.

I would like nothing better than if potential trading partners looked at it in exactly the same way.

I'm confused, are we having a discussion about how much we could get in a trade for Cassel, or having a collective ballwashing session? I love Cassel too, but the way we feel doesn't really matter in objectively deciding what we can get for him.

I'm not saying DA is a perfect comp, I'm saying I can easily see other teams making the not too far-fetched comparison.

For me ? If we could get #35 I would be thrilled, I'd take it and run. From this article, though, it sounds like we would be asking for this year's #2 and next year's #1. That sounds AWFULLY pricey but I'm basing my response on what Lombardi and Reese said not what I would think.

I'm not saying DA is a perfect comp, I'm saying I can easily see other teams making the not too far-fetched comparison.
Compare all you like, the Browns were said to have been offered Dallas' #1 and #3 last year even after the crappy 2nd half. However they turned it down as they heard Dallas would then move him to Baltimore, Cleveland's division rival. Of course, Baltimore got Flacco so the laugh's on the Browns there.

I wonder how much, if any, BB has spoken to Lombardi about the asking price. He's one guy who really does seem to have some semblance of access to someone in the Pats. BB using the media to his advantage perhaps?

Compare all you like, the Browns were said to have been offered Dallas' #1 and #3 last year even after the crappy 2nd half. However they turned it down as they heard Dallas would then move him to Baltimore, Cleveland's division rival. Of course, Baltimore got Flacco so the laugh's on the Browns there.

I'm aware of that, the offers the Browns received for DA were well publicized. Even though he didn't get traded, that doesn't change the fact that his 2008 season serves as a cautionary tale in over-valuing a QB based on one season. Those teams are probably as glad they didn't trade for him now as the Browns are remorseful that they didn't offload him.

Last edited:
For me ? If we could get #35 I would be thrilled, I'd take it and run. From this article, though, it sounds like we would be asking for this year's #2 and next year's #1. That sounds AWFULLY pricey but I'm basing my response on what Lombardi and Reese said not what I would think.

And the best part is a #2 in the Patriots hands is worth a lot more than a #2 for someone else because we have Scott Pioli doing the...........

oh wait........:confused:

if we got a high #2 and a #1 next year I would be pretty psyched.

We will not be disappointed with what we get for Matty. And don't forget the outside chance that he may be OUR QB this season again if all doesn't go as we assume it will with TFB.

True, but if they think Kevin O'Connell is ready to lead this team, they may be willing to trade Cassel anyways. :eek:

I'm aware of that, the offers the Browns received for DA were well publicized. Even though he didn't get traded, that doesn't change the fact that his 2008 season serves as a cautionary tale in over-valuing a QB based on one season. Those teams are probably as glad they didn't trade for him now as the Browns are remorseful that they didn't offload him.
I think Anderson is irrelevant, Cassel was a far more consistent and accurate QB than Anderson was in 2007. To me the relevant question is : if you need a QB where are you going to get one ? There's Cassel. The draft. Or the old guys like Collins and Warner who might buy you a year. If you want an 8 year solution QB who can step right in, for sure, for Game One, I'm only aware of one QB.

Last edited:
In a league where AJ Feeley nets a 2nd rounder, Matt Cassel will net a 1st rounder and then some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes