PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN: Jets in better Super Bowl shape than Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again as we stand In FEB.... Not sept FEB... This not the time to judge teams.. But if were we are, lets compare...

QB Sanchez vs Brady- No contest Brady
RB- they have 2 good RB, we still cant find one.. edge jets
WR- Moss and a bunch of question marks, that includes welker - The jets have a bunch of avg recievers.. Push
Te Keller vs Baker - Edge Jets
Oline- The jets have a great run blocking o line- The Pats have a good pass blocking line, but still have questions right now... edge the jets

D line- I think if we have Wilfork , we have the edge, with out him its a push...

LB's - The jets by far have David Harris, Bart Scott 2 studs, we have mayo and well no one.. edge jets...

Cb- Derell Revis outweighs any combo we have right now...

Coach- Bill Belichick , Rex Ryan- I will take Belichick nuff said there..
I just disagree. Their RB are no better than ours IMO. The WR are NOT a push, nowhere close; are you kidding ? Moss >>> Edwards and they have no-one else just like us without Welker although I think Edelman might be the next best on either team by next year. Our QB is light years better, our safeties are better. Plus we have more guys coming back who could help (McKenzie & Tate) plus more draft choices. We are the better team now and in September.

Again as we stand In FEB.... Not sept FEB... This not the time to judge teams.. But if were we are, lets compare...

QB Sanchez vs Brady- No contest Brady
RB- they have 2 good RB, we still cant find one.. edge jets The problem isn't our RBS so much as it is the run blocking and consistent play calling. Also, Leon Washington is a RFA unless he goes untendered... So not guaranteed to be there.
WR- Moss and a bunch of question marks, that includes welker - The jets have a bunch of avg recievers.. Push Edelman and Welker will be around for awhile.
Te Keller vs Baker - Edge Jets
Oline- The jets have a great run blocking o line- The Pats have a good pass blocking line, but still have questions right now... edge the jets The Jets have a good run blocking O-line and terrible pass blocking O-line. At worst, this should be a push..

D line- I think if we have Wilfork , we have the edge, with out him its a push...

LB's - The jets by far have David Harris, Bart Scott 2 studs, we have mayo and well no one.. edge jets...

Cb- Derell Revis outweighs any combo we have right now... Revis outweighs what we have only because Butler was a rookie and Bodden is now a UFA. That being said, their secondary as a whole is worse than the Pats.

Coach- Bill Belichick , Rex Ryan- I will take Belichick nuff said there..

So the way the team has been built right now FEB, the jets have edge in alot of aspects ,but lets ask this question after the draft and FA... There are too many questions right now, and the awnsers wont come until TC..

No, the Jets don't have the edge in "a lot of aspects" unless you just willy nilly say so and ignore things like Special Teams. I'll take Gostkowski over their kicker and our punt return group over theirs..

The Green Beans are frauds. Jabba Wrecks is a carnival-barking phony. Woody Johnson has the dumbest name in America. Tannenbaum is a two-faced conniving snake. Their fans are a collection of misfit overgrown children and slimy perverts led by a bizarre angry dwarf cheerleader.

That team enjoying any level of success is a crime against nature.

I don't agree at all that the Jets have a terrible pass blocking O-Line. I think that O-Line is pretty good in all phases. Sanchez was one of the least hit QB's last year. Now, unless you're ready to attribute that to Sanchez's "ultra-quick" release, I think you have to admit that the Jets O-Line is pretty good at pass protection.

I don't agree at all that the Jets have a terrible pass blocking O-Line. I think that O-Line is pretty good in all phases. Sanchez was one of the least hit QB's last year. Now, unless you're ready to attribute that to Sanchez's "ultra-quick" release, I think you have to admit that the Jets O-Line is pretty good at pass protection.
I don't have stats on "QB hits" but :

Sanchez was sacked 26 times in 364 attempts, 7.1%
Brady was sacked 16 times in 565 attempts, 2.8%.

Now, I know sacks aren't the same as hits or hurries but . . . . the numbers speak for themselves.

The Jets O-line gave up 30 sacks on 390 attempts between Sanchez and Clemmens.. 1 every 13 drop backs. Sanchez was sacked 25 times on 364 attemps.. Or once every 14.6 drop backs. Still not good. I won't use Brady or Manning for comparison. I'll take Carson Palmer. He took 26 sacks on 466 drop backs ( 1 in 17.92 drop backs) . Philip Rivers took 25 sacks on 486 drop backs ( 1 in 19.44 drop backs).

The "hits" category doesn't take into consideration Sacks. Which it should.

So, you'll have to forgive me if I take the "hits" category with a grain of salt since it's pretty highly subjective.

Last edited:
Is there a template for this article? Because it seems like something like this comes out every off season. Except last year, it was about how the Dolphins were poised to become the new power in the AFCE. And the year before that, it was the Jets again. The argument stays the same, just the name of the team, coach, and players that are going to knock off the Patriots changes each year.

The "they're getting old" argument can be applied just as easily to players like Thomas Jones, Faneca and Woody.

Along those lines, I believe that the Jets have had the same O-line start every game for 2 years in row. That kind of continuity would help any team. Can you assume that they are going to get a 3rd full season out of their line? I'd say the odds are against that. And if they have to bring in a back-up or two for several games, the offense is going to take a step back.

Finally, stating "if Sanchez develops" as is (a) it's going to happen and (b) it's going to lead to a better record is a huge assumption. Flacco and Ryan had much better rookie seasons than Sanchez and improved in their second seasons. The only problem was, their teams ended up with worse records in their 2nd year.

I just don't see the Jets being able to sneak up on opponents next season.

Jets in better Super Bowl shape than Pats - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN (click on link for full article)

"A sampling of accomplished former AFC East players who still follow the game closely raised many recurring sentiments:

* The Jets at least have pulled even with the Patriots.
* The Patriots are getting older and have more roster concerns.
* If quarterback Mark Sanchez can develop, the Jets will be the team to beat for a long time.
* The Miami Dolphins are on the rise but still trail the Jets and Patriots.
* The Bills are a mess and don't belong in the conversation until they show significant improvements on the field.

ESPN analyst Herm Edwards, a former Jets and Kansas City Chiefs head coach, already has picked the Jets to represent the AFC in next year's Super Bowl.

"The Patriots are closer to getting back to the Super Bowl, but the better long-term future would be the Jets," said Steve DeOssie, who spent a dozen years in the NFL and hosts a Patriots postgame show on Boston sports radio station WEEI.

"That window of opportunity is closing for the Patriots in two, three maybe four years on the outside. If Sanchez develops, the Jets have a very bright future for the next seven, eight, nine years."

Listening to DeOssie (and Fred) on WEEI it's often clear that he doesn't do his homework in part because he assumes things are how he thought they were back in the day... He is insightful about x's and o's and locker room dynamics or coaching anecdotes, but almost never has a grip on things like the cap or contract situations or the expiring CBA. I bet if someone challenged him on the JETS situation in light of their final four status and lack of draft picks he'd backtrack. I really wish these guys would do some homework considering what they do as football mediots is funding their post season careers.

Brady will probably be retired before the Sanchise learns how to read a pro defense, IF he ever does (and guys with the gunslinger mentality seldom to). Most of that FA Oline as well as Rex, Tanny and Shotsie, Jr. will be long gone before then too.

The way I look at it is that it seems every year another team in the AFC East looks to be ready to overtake the Pats and every year they take a step back. I will believe the Jets are ready to overtake the Pats when they actually do it.

As for the age thing, the Jets do have some key players who are older (Thomas Jones, Alan Faneca, Damien Woody, Shaun Eliis). They also could have cap issues if the new CBA slows or halts the growth.

Also, the have a big question mark at QB. Sanchez is good if they can limit the number of throws he makes, but the more he throws the worse he gets (see the end of the AFC Championship game after starting out good when the Jets didn't throw the ball except on rare occassions). I don't know if the Jets can rely on Sanchez to be a QB to carry the offense. We will have to wait and see. He seems like a QB who can make plays when opposing defenses are only playing run and aren't pressuring the Qb.

I don't really see the problem with the claim. The Jets probably are ahead of the Patriots right now. I don't really see why people would be up in arms about that notion, given the free agent issues, the lack of WWW, etc... On the other hand, it's February. The season doesn't start anytime soon, and there are still a host of additions and subtractions to be made before the teams are in final form.

See, I can't agree with that. The Jets were an 8-8 team who lucked out for two games in the post season.

As others have mentioned, the Jets, by reaching the AFCCG, are now severely limited on what they can do in free agency. They can only sign "Street Free Agents" or they have to lose a player before they can sign one to a comparable contract. The Jets showed that they have very little depth and its going to be extremely hard for them to get that depth just on the draft.

That is what Herm and DeOssie missed.

They also over-looked the fact that Brady was coming back from his knee surgery and that he wasn't fully comfortable all year with it.

The Pats are in a much better position than they are being given credit for by either DeOssie or Edwards. And I am surprised at DeOssie's thought process.

I certainly see where they are coming from but I think the Jets are a better team than they showed last year, but I think we are still the better team at this point in time. If we were playing the Jets today Id still think we'd beat them. The Jets, like us are thin at some positions but deep at others. If we lost wilfork for the season we'd probably be SOL but the Jets lost Jenkins and they ended up in the AFC championship game. The Jets have a weak secondary and a weak LB core, they are also weak at WR. We are weak at WR, ILB. This was the worst year for a team to go far and not win it all so I think we could actually make a few big moves and have a good draft and we will be set for the future.

The Jets of this year reminded me of the Falcons from last year. Rookie QB, new coach, overachievers, and a pretty decent year.

But I think, much like the Falcons, they will find themselves in for a sophomore slump.

Jets are built for the playoffs, they will be better next season.

Would be nice to have home field advantage through out the play offs.

Jets would of beat the Colts iffin they had played in Giants stadium.

The Pats will miss Welker big early next season.

Gap closed.

The Jets will lose a few defensive players but should still be in the top 10 as a defense - The running back situation looks good and Jones will probably be gone.

Sanchez is still a question mark but his OL is very good,The Jets are a #3 WR away from possibly having a good WR corps...they should be at or near 10 wins again next season.

Without any major moves in FA or the draft,the Pats could be looking up in the East...there is lots of work to do in Foxboro to remain king of the hill,the Jets and Dolphins are closing in.

You've got to be able to score in the playoffs.

Home field throughout ? You're kidding right ? They had to be handed a playoff spot as a gift and you're talking about home field ? Do you want every team to bench their starting QB against you next year ?

LMAO.

Please someone explain to me how the Jets this year are any different than the Ravens last year? Would anyone trade places with the Ravens right now? I wouldn't. The Jets backed into the playoffs because TWO teams essentially laid down for them and then got matched up with a terrible team (Bengals) and one team with a terrible playoff kicker. Once they played real competition they lost. Does anyone remember the second time we played them, it was a fricking JOKE. The Jets only finished one game above .500 and that was with two gifted wins. Good lord lets get some perspective.

Right now? I don't know. The Jets d is better, i'll give them that. But 12/20?!?! Come on Sanchez! We could select a member here at random, get him liquored up to the point of being sick each week, and he would have a better season. Add to that the fact that he is in for a sophomore slump next year and the Jests are fahhkkeeddddd next year. I'm feeling 11/24, with a 6-10 record. opposing defenses will outscore the Jests o, and the Jests d will do the same. a man can have dreams can't he?

Gap closed.
Care to wager the Jets aren't better next season? That means you win the AFC Championship match and have a Superbowl appearance.

Last edited:

Gap closed.

Don't forget to get Sanchez his traffic light. He needs that for every game.

Attachments

• traffic-light1.jpg
    traffic-light1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 111
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes