PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN Insider: Scout information anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Charlie. Have to wait until 2009. Which is why I think the Pats try to trade back and get another 2009 #1 pick.

Why do you say that?
Do the Pats have someone in mind?

Why do you say that?
Do the Pats have someone in mind?

I obviously have no inside information on who the Pats like, but the 2009 linebacker class is loaded:

ILB Laurinaitis OSU
ILB Maualuga USC
LB Spikes UF
OLB Cushing USC
LB Lee PSU
ILB Beckwith LSU

And that doesn't include Juniors or DE/OLB hybrids. Having two 1st round picks would allow the Pats to get any of them or sit back and grab a couple.

Goulston is about the only player that I can see the Pats taking at #7 this year...and he may go #6 to the Jets. Better to trade down and take advantage of the linebacker "perfect storm" in 2009.

They don't even mention Sammy Morris and say we need to address the running back position? Nice analysis:rolleyes:. If healthy, Maroney, Morris, and Faulk should do very well next season.

anyone who wants can just login to my account

username: removed
Password: removed

Appreciated, but if this is for real you should probably remove it. There's alot more people on these boards than you think and a thread can turn up as search results very easily these days. Especially since the title of the thread is "ESPN INsider..." it won't be hard to get a cross-hit with you listing "username" and "Password." You don't want to get your account banned because 1000 people are using it.

anyone who wants can just login to my account
yea, take this down. people will use this more than you expect. also, they can have influence on your account details(address, name, credit card(if listed on the account). take it down ASAP.

They don't even mention Sammy Morris and say we need to address the running back position? Nice analysis:rolleyes:. If healthy, Maroney, Morris, and Faulk should do very well next season.

Though I also wouldn't mind seeing Mewelde Moore here if...the Price is Right.

Asante is an excellent zone corner who excels at breaking on the ball. He is very quick but lacks pure deep speed. Hobbs, on the other hand, is not as instinctive as AS. He has the speed and hips to be a #1, but lacks size. IMO he's gotten way too much flack this season.

Agree. And I'll add, ball skills and tackling ability are the most important qualities to have as a CB. These have been points of emphasis whenever BB talks about the opponent or draft prospects. The fact that both of our starting corners have these qualities to a greater or lesser degree bear this out. Hobbs is strong in run support and solid in coverage, but lacks the instinctive playmaking ability that Samuel offers. This is nothing new for Samuel, as he's the all-time leader at C. Florida in passes defensed. Not a lot of picks, but numerous tips, just as he's displayed with the Pats.

Hobbs has the CB mentality (which BB covets), and he also has the hunger and willingness to improve. I think he's solid enough to remain a starter at RCB. And whoever replaces Samuel on the other side will most likely have the necessary ball skills to impact the secondary. I can't imagine BB settling for less.

Also, both Asante and Hobbs will play that far off the LOS, as that distance is chosen by the coaches.

Right you are. And just because they're paid professionals, doesn't mean they have free reign to improvise. This isn't a comedy act -- it's football...run by coaches -- not the players.

As I told a few other fans who complained about Hobbs distance from the LOS, it's scheme based! They've employed a soft zone that plays into Asante's strengths, not Hobbs. Also, both Asante and Hobbs will play that far off the LOS, as that distance is chosen by the coaches. If you'd like to complain about said distance go ahead, but in reality you're complaining about a coaching decision.

Also, Hobbs is better in man, while Asante is a better zone CB. Hobbs is also faster, more athletic, and out jumps him by a large margin, but I'm sure you'll keep on believing otherwise.

I've actually had similar questions/thoughts and might post a thread on the subject in the future.

Looks like someone else agrees that Hobbs isn't a starting caliber player YET (could be next year but hasn't displayed that to this point):

"..., the Patriots' other starting cornerback, Ellis Hobbs, posted a 9.6 yards per attempt last season, and he may have to be replaced as well."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insi.../columns/story?columnist=joyner_kc&id=3243594

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes