PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN Insider: Pats look "virtually unstoppable" on offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, but that would, in large part, be due to YAC.
Lloyd is more of a leaper/acrobat isn't he?

Dunno, they certainly will make YAC all over the inside of the field but outside maybe not.

Pats ran Hernandez out of the backfield again successfully today. A beast.
Josh will unleash a monster on the NFL this season.

One of AWTE's takeaways over at PP was that the Patriots should probably just offer Hernandez the same deal that Gronk got right now, because his value is going to be pretty insane after this season. Honestly, he's absolutely one case where I wouldn't mind seeing the Pats extend him right away. Give him all of the money that was budgeted for Welker after this season, if that's what it takes. Just thinking about what he'll do in a McDaniels offense is pumping me up.

One of AWTE's takeaways over at PP was that the Patriots should probably just offer Hernandez the same deal that Gronk got right now, because his value is going to be pretty insane after this season. Honestly, he's absolutely one case where I wouldn't mind seeing the Pats extend him right away. Give him all of the money that was budgeted for Welker after this season, if that's what it takes. Just thinking about what he'll do in a McDaniels offense is pumping me up.

man, I've been pumped and jacked like Pete Carroll on crack since McD was announced as O co-ordinator...AHern IS the mismatch that other teams cannot handle...mark it...

man, I've been pumped and jacked like Pete Carroll on crack since McD was announced as O co-ordinator...AHern IS the mismatch that other teams cannot handle...mark it...
Assuming health and a long term extension for Hernandez, the next decade has the potential to be one matching the excitement of the last for Patriots followers.

After his reconstruction I'm now convinced Tom Brady is a cyborg.

Assuming health and a long term extension for Hernandez, the next decade has the potential to be one matching the excitement of the last for Patriots followers.

Is this something the Pats will do? Invest $17-18M per year in the TE position? AH wants WR money, right?

Or was the Ballard pickup a) leverage for them in the AH negotiations and b) insurance if he walks?

Seems like they are in a good position to play hardball with AH and flip him for a R1 or R2 once Ballard gets healthy. Can't see AH playing nice in light of the Gronk deal and the Welker situation. He'll get $8M somewhere and he knows it.

Shrewd move claiming Ballard. IMO it was done with this situation in mind.

Is this something the Pats will do? Invest $17-18M per year in the TE position? AH wants WR money, right?

Or was the Ballard pickup a) leverage for them in the AH negotiations and b) insurance if he walks?

Seems like they are in a good position to play hardball with AH and flip him for a R1 or R2 once Ballard gets healthy. Can't see AH playing nice in light of the Gronk deal and the Welker situation. He'll get $8M somewhere and he knows it.

Ballard seems more like Gronk insurance. They might not consider it paying 2 TEs but instead paying their best TE and best WR.

Ballard seems more like Gronk insurance. They might not consider it paying 2 TEs but instead paying their best TE and best WR.

Since they already paid their best TE and refused to pay their best WR, who would they invest the WR money in? Is there a young up and comer on the team at WR that has produced like AH has?

Last edited:
The Bills suck!

Oh, wait. Wrong thread. Please continue...

:D

weird...a Bills fan obsessing over AHern and his future contract???

why??...I mean, historically, Barfalo gets our used up has beens like Drewpy and Lawyer and pay through the nose for them....Herno a Bill??? heh...must be like 20 or 30 tons of high grade weed dropped out of the sky up in Toxic Townalo....if I was a Buffy fluffer (thank all deities responsible for sparing me this horrid fate) I'd be worrying more about filling the vacant safety position on my Jills roster before the Air Show hits town...

I sure hope so LetsGoBuffalo. When you build a mismatch tandem as the Patriots have with the Gronkandez it wouldn't be wise (IMO) to let one of the two up and leave.

Did you say crack.

pctwitter2.jpg

I sure hope so LetsGoBuffalo. When you build a mismatch tandem as the Patriots have with the Gronkandez it wouldn't be wise (IMO) to let one of the two up and leave.

I agree, I think it's one of the most unique innovations i've seen. The conundrum for defenses lies in the difference between the two players. While both are elite, one is physically bigger than everyone else with great hands and speed and the other is a WR in a TEs body. Mismatches all over the field.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Can't imagine there will be any hometown discounts from any Pats player at this point (post Welker) but at the same time I could see the Pats investing the money and preserving this TE combo b/c it's so overwhelming for D's.

This 2 TE O ranks up there with the Bengals/Bills no huddle, Oilers run and shoot, and 49ers WCO in terms of innovation and mismatchability (is that a word?). Pats should do all they can to keep those two TEs together, at least till Brady retires.

Last edited:
While I was teasing earlier, I'd love it if the Bills could replace the Jets as the division's #2 team this year. Bills fans have had to deal with a really bad team for quite a while, and they should get some time in the sun, as it were.

Also, the joy of watching Jets fans pondering seppuku would be a nice way to get through the winter months.

Antowain Smith says hi.

yes he does...with his SUPER BOWL ring...oh wait...how could you possibly understand..

The next season Smith rejuvenated his professional career when he joined the New England Patriots. He ran for 1,157 yards and 12 touchdowns in the regular season. He also ran for 204 yards in the playoffs as the Patriots won Super Bowl XXXVI. Smith's numbers dropped off a bit in 2002 as he ran for 982 yards and 6 touchdowns. He did get more involved in the passing game however, and caught 31 balls including 2 touchdowns. 2003 was Smith's final season in New England and he managed just 642 yards, although he still led the team in rushing. His play improved in the playoffs that year as he ran for 252 yards and 2 scores as Smith and the Patriots won their second Super Bowl Championship.

Drewpy and Lawyer really "rejuvenated" their careers up in GlowInTheDarkalo...real smart analogy...forget the Herno fantasy, junior...

As for the offense, I don't really think of unstoppable yet. I need to see the whole field being threatened in real games before I start up with the visions of 2007-lite.

But things certainly seem promising so far. :)

While I was teasing earlier, I'd love it if the Bills could replace the Jets as the division's #2 team this year. Bills fans have had to deal with a really bad team for quite a while, and they should get some time in the sun, as it were.

Also, the joy of watching Jets fans pondering seppuku would be a nice way to get through the winter months.

Not to hijack the thread, but I said my piece on this in the "biggest threat" thread. The Bills had the chance to replace the NJJ last year and got their asses kicked in their own building. I'll believe it when I see it.

Back to the topic at hand. Not sure this O is any more unstoppable than say last year or 2007 for that matter. Even if it is, who cares? Clearly it will again be elite, as it has been since what, 07? The Pats didn't need to improve on O. They averaged what, 37 ppg last year? What are they gonna do, average 38 now? Come on. O was not their issue.

The question is, will the D be better? The R1 rooks are talented and should help at times, but should also be expected to get burned at times. You guys watched the AFCC game last year, was it the vaunted O that won the game or the defense?

there's a ton of questions that won't even begin to be answered until well into the preseason game schedule...if either of the 1st round picks show up in real games like they've practiced so far, that is a decided positive...the kid they got in the 2nd seems like he's got the talent/brains to impact immediately...just an incremental defensive improvement should prove to be decisive as far as the fate of the 2012 unit goes...this offense at the skill positions is as good as its' been the past ten years(arguably, of course...nothing has been proved yet)...I like the O line's potential..for me, the questions about Mankins, Vollmer and Waters need to be settled somewhat before the opener.(if not all three I would want at least two of them ready and able).

The Pats have some youth that needs to be gauged in real time game conditions...Bequette, the new RB Bolden...if these kids perform like they have in the camp drills, you have to like the shape of the club going into the opener.

I'm on the Branch side, not Stallworth BTW...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back