PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN Insider already declaring Ron Brace a bust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair point, let's include the OL then. I haven't researched it fully, but I think the only example there would be Tom Ashworth, who was making a position shift to the OL as an undrafted rookie.

Believe it or not, I'm not trying to bash Brace or hit any panic buttons. I just think that his current path is a little worrisome. A bunch of posters have recalled DLs like Warren, Wilfork and Green starting similarly slowly, but all of them were every-day actives with some starts thrown in as rookies. Even Mike Wright played more as a rookie than Brace has, with Seymour, Wilfork, Warren & Green among the bodies in front of him.

As I've said, though, I'm looking forward to Brace breaking the pattern and developing strongly.

I see where you are coming from, just offering another perspective.

The Wright example actually is illustrative of where I am coming from. He was behind 4 guys (NE wasn't running nearly as much 4-3 with OLBs in 3 point stances) and he was the rare DL who was also a strong special teamer. Brace's lack of versatility is a check mark against him that IMO is what is really keeping him sidelined at this point.

The Wright example actually is illustrative of where I am coming from. He was behind 4 guys (NE wasn't running nearly as much 4-3 with OLBs in 3 point stances) and he was the rare DL who was also a strong special teamer. Brace's lack of versatility is a check mark against him that IMO is what is really keeping him sidelined at this point.

Totally agree.

BTW, if the Pats can spend a #2 and a #5 on DTs and come away with one very good player and one serviceable one, I'd be pleased as punch...regardless of which is which.

If Pryor becomes an all-pro, does that mean Brace sucks because he's behind him? No, I'm not saying that. But Pryor is showing us a lot with how effective he is in just his rookie season. Instead of looking for a new whipping boy, how about we give Pryor props for his level of play?

It's not rare to see DL quiet in their rookie season. Wilfork and Warren both weren't 1/4th the player they are now back in 03 and 04, their rookie seasons. Point is we need to give Brace time, instead of just finding a new whipping boy.

A bunch of posters have recalled DLs like Warren, Wilfork and Green starting similarly slowly, but all of them were every-day actives with some starts thrown in as rookies. Even Mike Wright played more as a rookie than Brace has,

Right, but almost all of those guys played on Special teams mostly. They've changed the special teams in a way that makes Brace almost uniquely unsuited for them.

In our best years, our stats always looked shoddy. And then you look at points, and we're doing great. We're back to bend but don't break. Our D doesn't lay down points.

This team has played 4 weak offenses in Tennessee, Tampa Bay, Buffalo and New York. That leaves 3 offenses of even minor note, in Atlanta, Baltimore and Denver. Both Baltimore and Denver were able to move the ball just fine against the Patriots. The only decent offense that this team has stopped is Atlanta, and that was really only in the second half of the game, and with the help of a 2-to-1 time of possession in the game. This team has yet to face any really good offense, and it won't until it plays the Colts next week. It will then get the rematch against the Jets before facing another good (albeit NFC) offense in New Orleans. It's after that New Orleans game that I think we'll finally be able to get a relatively clear picture of the Patriots' defense.

However, this is not what the thread is about. It's about a report that Brace is a bust by week 8 of his rookie season. I find that notion absurd, but I understand the questioning that will come given the surrounding circumstances, and I consider some questioning of Brace (at this moment) to be justifiable under those circumstances.

Last edited:
This team has yet to face any really good offense, and it won't until it plays the Colts next week.
That's interesting considering that the Ravens are 4th for average points per game, 7th for % of completions and 7th for yards per game. I'm wondering at what point statistics become necessary to anoint what is a great, good, ok and average offense.

The most worrying thing in the op is that the op actually pays for espn insider, just to read all their lies.

On Brace, he is a rookie, like hello the guy might be one of those that actually needs a year to adjust.

the patriots ? espn insider ? don't make me laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back