PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN Insider already declaring Ron Brace a bust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have the insider and I was checking it out only to come across the title, "Is Brace a bust?"

Here's pretty much what it said:

The cheers rang across the Bay State when the New England Patriots took Boston College product Ron Brace in the second round of the draft this past April. Deemed as the potential heir apparent to Vince Wilfork should the vet not be re-signed, big things were expected out of Brace.

I don't know who was cheering because most of us were scratching our heads when they took him. Although we gave him a chance, the Brace selection has us once again scratching our heads.

But to this point, he's being outperformed by sixth-rounder Myron Pryor, and in the last game, he wasn't even in the active lineup.

There is no excuse for this. Myron Pryor is making this guy look really bad.

And last but not least, Dean Peas doing his best politician impression.
"Ron is working hard," Pees said, per the Boston Globe. "He's learning the system. It's just been a matter of us trying to say who kind of fits the role that we need this week in this particular spot. It may not necessarily have anything to do with whether Ron has not done or has done well. It's more a fact of, this guy kind of fits what we want there.".

Saying all the right things, huh? :rolleyes: To translate, Pees really is saying: "Brace needs to get his sh*t together and he's not active because he flat out isn't getting it done".

Jumping way ahead of themselves there after only seven games and the guy he is supposed to be replacing STILL PLAYING :rolleyes:

Every pick must have to start and have an impact right away or else they get labeled a bus apparently

You know Wilfork is saying to himself..."keep sucking Brace" more $$$$$ in my pocket and I stay in NE as well

The longer it takes Brace to become a servicable NFL player the more money big Vince will probably get.

LOL, lets say we didnt have a 6th round pick....do u think that bracy would be inactive?

my guess is no....he is very much so a servicable player, and WOULD be spelling wilfork, and CAN spell wilfork

the only catch is we drafted someone in the 6th round, who so far is spelling Wilfork BETTER then what brace has shown he can do....

what does that matter that hes a 6th round pick? after u make it to the NFL, ur draft status means sh*t....

or did we all forget a certain QB taken 100th overall?

brace is prob doing just fine, but pryor is better.......and we have a surplus on the d line....if brace were needed and we brought someone else in, than we should begin worrying

What's funny is that some of us are already labeling him a bust as well when we don't even have the slightest idea of what he can do for us (aside from some preseason garbage time). I'd like to know where you guys are getting the idea that he is a bust from.

This is a crock.

For once, we have the luxury of bringing along a DT, slowly. Letting him mature in the system.

However, with Green gone, look for him to be activated for this Sunday.

A plainly ridiculous article. Nobody knows any of the circumstance surrounding Brace and what's going on with him other than the coaching staff. After all... it's not like we spent pick 6 in the 2008 draft on him :D.

I wouldn't even wipe my azz with that BSPN outsider rag

Every pick must have to start and have an impact right away or else they get labeled a bus apparently

I am sure a bus would do a great job at DT.

But why must we have he's a bust every year. We had this about Meriweather when he wasn't playing two years back look now is he a bust or well developed? Give Brace a chance to learn what is needed and BB will put him in when he thinks he is ready.

the reason we get these posts is there exists a certain core group of Pats fans that are totally immersed in fantasy football and get so deep into their mountains and mountains of stats that they begin to think THEY know more than the Patriot organization about how to run this football team. This is why you see so many "I say this player is this" and "I say this player can't play that" after tiny samples of seasonal data are in.Left up to these stat geeks, a player like Tedy Bruschi NEVER would have played a down of football for the N.E.P.

Take it all with a grain of salt...they aren't about to stop pontificating anytime soon.

the reason we get these posts is there exists a certain core group of Pats fans that are totally immersed in fantasy football and get so deep into their mountains and mountains of stats that they begin to think THEY know more than the Patriot organization about how to run this football team. This is why you see so many "I say this player is this" and "I say this player can't play that" after tiny samples of seasonal data are in.Left up to these stat geeks, a player like Tedy Bruschi NEVER would have played a down of football for the N.E.P.

Take it all with a grain of salt...they aren't about to stop pontificating anytime soon.
Yes...this is a total crock...and you are correct about how fantasy football and madden has made understanding football for those totally impossible..they know madden and FF but zilch about the real game.. This clown was scratching his head at the Brace pick.. typical...this garbage needs to end up in the practice squad..away from this board..

Right, Pryor's filling basically an entirely different sorta situational role. Brace's situational style fits Wilfork's (big widebody) and Wilfork is still here...

Previous posters are exactly right. He is being brought along SLOWLY and that's fine by me.

The Pats are now playing a 4-3 sometimes. Last time I looked you need two DTs for that scheme. Typically a Stay-home run tackle and a penetrator DT. One of the best in the league stay home tackles is Wilfork,who is playing in front of Brace.

For the penetrator DT position, they have been using Wright and Jarvis; but Jarvis has had knee problems that have now lead to a Scope cleanout. You would expect that penetrator Pryor would get some snaps in such a situation.:)

According to the guy who wrote this article, Brandon Merriweather is a bust.

Seriously, he's SEVEN games into his NFL career.

probably not the place for this but. Does anybody know what is happening with shaun crabble? Exactly what his injury is e.t.c i know he is IR'd but there has been little to no actual info about what has been wrong with him.

The most worrying thing in the op is that the op actually pays for espn insider, just to read all their lies.

On Brace, he is a rookie, like hello the guy might be one of those that actually needs a year to adjust.

LOL, lets say we didnt have a 6th round pick....do u think that bracy would be inactive?

my guess is no....he is very much so a servicable player, and WOULD be spelling wilfork, and CAN spell wilfork

the only catch is we drafted someone in the 6th round, who so far is spelling Wilfork BETTER then what brace has shown he can do....

what does that matter that hes a 6th round pick? after u make it to the NFL, ur draft status means sh*t....

or did we all forget a certain QB taken 100th overall?

brace is prob doing just fine, but pryor is better.......and we have a surplus on the d line....if brace were needed and we brought someone else in, than we should begin worrying

I'm not Pryor isn't farther along than Brace obviously he is, but when they have rested Wilfork a lot of times its been in passing situations. Pryor is a better pass rusher than Brace. I watched Brace play 25 games in college he wasn't even a good pass rusher then, but I think he will become a good run stuffer and very good back up for Wilfork. If you were expecting more then you don't watch a lot of BC football because he doesn't have anything close to Wilfork's quickness.

Does this writer remember how little Ty Warren played as a rookie? And he turned it ok right? I think the real issue here is that Pryor fills a more pressing role right now than Brace. Pryor may be the Pats quickest interior pass rusher , especially with J. Green missing a few of the upcoming games. The role Brace is most ready to fill-Vince's spot on the nose or over the guard on 1st and 2nd down-is being aptly filled by right now. If Brace isn't playing by this time next year, then we can talk about him being a bust.

What's funny is that some of us are already labeling him a bust as well when we don't even have the slightest idea of what he can do for us (aside from some preseason garbage time). I'd like to know where you guys are getting the idea that he is a bust from.

Couldn't agree more. What a bunch of nonsense flying around ESPN (and here). Brace is being outplayed by Myron now - who cares? Why can't that be an especially good thing about Myron, as opposed to a BAD thing about Brace? Think I'll walk on the wild side and buy into the fact that 7 games is too short a time to evaluate ANY rookie, and show a little patience, and a little faith, before I deem someone a bust. Christ, even Chad Jackson got a couple years.

Last edited:
Wilfork already has the job. He's pretty good, in case you haven't heard.

Should we sit Wilfork and play Brace to make ESPN happy? Myron is a penetrating 4-3 tackle who has a place in our new emphasis.

Wilfork can do what Myron does, besides doing what Brace is built for, playing nose. That's why he is a star.

We have other, better, quicker, more experienced linemen, so Brace will learn the NT. If he learns well, he'll be a valued backup, or trade bait, since good huge NTs are always in demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes