PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN has lost 10 Million subscribers since 2013 and 1.5 Million over the last 4 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
While ESPN's appalling actions likely have some sort of factor (I wish I could say it is the driving factor and the sub drop is 1:1 justice), the sub drop is the reality of Internet bandwidth speeds improving (easily achieving sufficient mbps throughput to allow RTSP), remaining affordable, most important Internet becoming a higher priority household expense (we already have and must have Internet! Why do we need Cable TV?), and content from the Internet becoming very wide (gee honey, I went to this site, clicked the link, and that movie currently in theaters started playing. Huh, imagine that).

Given those factors the laughable approx. 6$ sub fee charged by ESPN made it a house of cards. This was going to happen to ESPN whether they were the DHs they are or the swellest guys in town. And I can't see any way out of ESPN's continued drop (with the highly unlikely exception they come up with a new scam that brings in equivalent revenue some other way. Every subscriber to ESPN get a free set of mickey mouse ears? A free burger at any Disney park?).

No doubt ESPN will endure but it will no longer be TV ubiquitous. They may endure as 80% of what they were or, more likely, they are in for a more shocking drop sooner rather than later.

As Internet provides more and more of what people want for TV content (and over time devices/apps/protocols will allow getting the content and manipulating the content easier and easier) and as these people jump from Comcast and DirecTV to just Internet TV content, Comcast and DirecTV will have to change their current captive sub packages else join ESPN in its nosedive. Further, eventually the bubbleheads in government will not be able to hold back the water they currently do hold back to the benefit of many non OTA TV networks. Cable/Sat will have to be able to deliver only the wanted content to reduce pricing and compete with people saying "we already have Internet, why do we need to pay for a TV feed".

Despite the news today about ESPN, D-Day for ESPN has not yet arrived (as in D-Day where ESPN is an Axis power). The fall in revenue will be shocking. Then the swamp at the NFL offices will rev into a MUCH higher gear for getting their content to viewers without ESPN as their boot polishing lackey (The super duper terrific happy hour NFLchannel.com game of the week. Watch the game and win fabulous prizes like a pizza with mr Ed!).

Sound like a wild far fetched tale? You can bet the mortgage payment that Comcast, DirecTV, the NFL are already working on the plans for unbundled packaging. Just saying the words "unbundled packaging" makes Mickey Mouse start to weep.

They've become more concerned with off field drama and politics rather than sports.

And it's interesting. Their flagship program was Sportscenter, and they built their audience by doing things a certain way, and that was covering actual sporting events and presenting a full show of highlights from the previous night/day etc, of all the major sports leagues. Now, Sportscenter seems like it's a few highlights surrounded by a majority of flapping headed dorky pundits, bantering endlessly about the things on the periphery of sports and not the sports themselves. Glad I haven't watched in almost 10 years. It doesn't help that it's still popular and is still on at every bar and restaurant you can think of. I wish NBC/CBS/FS1 would step their games up and put out better products than they have. FS1 does the best job but it's still not up to par.

What was their subscribership at their peak?

This is from an article written in October of last year.

ESPN is starting to feel the impact of cord cutting (<<Link)

After a meteoric rise that saw the number of homes with ESPN surpass 100 million in 2011

02.png

03.png

You know what I recently discovered, as well?

I don't have to go to their web site. I even deleted their bookmarks from my browser. And uninstalled their apps on my Android.

Recently dumped Douche Network. Unfortunately, I still have to deal with BSPN* on my local cable network. Oh well. Still avoid it like the plague (apart from a baseball game I watched yesterday).

I cut the cord about 5 years ago, for a lot of reasons including how they chose to cover and then continually misrepresent facts for years after "Cameraplacemenrgate." Mostly though it was because I was bored with everything they were offering, from their idiotic personalities to their self-reverential "journalism" to the stupid awards shows and juvenile "dramas." Even then there was no question that what I wanted from them - scores and highlights - were much more readily available without their BS from dozens of places online, such as this website. It was easy to arrange my cable service to omit them, and once their app was deleted I barely gave them a thought. I honestly don't know why anyone wastes their time with BSPN, especially Pats fans in light of the disgrace of the last 16 months. F them

I cut the cord about 5 years ago, for a lot of reasons including how they chose to cover and then continually misrepresent facts for years after "Cameraplacemenrgate." Mostly though it was because I was bored with everything they were offering, from their idiotic personalities to their self-reverential "journalism" to the stupid awards shows and juvenile "dramas." Even then there was no question that what I wanted from them - scores and highlights - were much more readily available without their BS from dozens of places online, such as this website. It was easy to arrange my cable service to omit them, and once their app was deleted I barely gave them a thought. I honestly don't know why anyone wastes their time with BSPN, especially Pats fans in light of the disgrace of the last 16 months. F them

Live game coverage

It's all about live game coverage for sports channels now.

Which is why suddenly and very conveniently the big internet providers are introducing data caps and lobbying in Washington to castrate the FCC even further so they can't do anything about it.

They are scared of the cord cutters and the inevitable future..

Unfortunately, I highly doubt the business plan the suits will come up with for losing mass amounts of subscribers is going to be: better quality

Be nice to be wrong.

Nah, they'll just keep cutting costs (already laid off 300 people in the past year, plus got rid of high-priced talent like Bill Simmons, Colin Cowherd and Skip Bayless).

It's just one of those things. For some reason, the response to declining revenue is always to cut costs, which generally ensures that your product will suck even more and lurch you deeper into the death spiral. The actual reasons why the business is failing are rarely addressed, usually because the people deciding how to address the problem are the same ones who steered the ship into the iceberg in the first place, and they're sure as hell not going to fire themselves.

Which is why suddenly and very conveniently the big internet providers are introducing data caps and lobbying in Washington to castrate the FCC even further so they can't do anything about it.

Agreed, which is why this was so huge: Net Neutrality: FCC Reclassifies ISPs as Common Carriers

It was a rare and unexpected win for the average American, and internet providers are now trying to attack it at the source by lobbying to get the FCC hamstrung. Should be a big issue among the voters with broad bipartisan support. It's not a left-right issue, no matter what some would try to claim. "Crony capitalism" sucks is one of the few principles that we all tend to agree on no matter where we fall on the left-right spectrum. It's at the perfect intersection of big, corrupt business and big, corrupt government to make everyone angry.

download (2).jpg

"What if my kids realize I'm a talentless has been that works for a morally bankrupt conglomerate circling the toilet? What about the kids?!"
images (2).jpg
"**** Mark, there's no fall guy for that..."

On the other side of the coin, more government interference is leading to more sites being shut down, and more centralization of the internet, and that's a huge negative.

Too much sympathy can be a bad thing.. but so isn't thinking of it like its **** or syphilis ;)

This is all true. ESPN = TMZ Sports. No real journalism. It's E! But with 99% less Kardashians.

In fact, I remember a independent reporter broke the story that LeBron was headed back to Cleveland on a Tuesday. All the while ESPN and Chris Broussard said it wasn't confirmed, they hear it's Miami or NY. LeBron drops the letter in Sports Illustrated, and Chris says "I now can confirm the story is true, LeBron is headed back to Cleveland." Joke excuse for a media organization.

if you live in the teams' local market you'll get all the games Over the air for free.
you'd be amazed how few people actually know this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back