Welcome to PatsFans.com

ESPN: Glassy ranked No. 18 among RBs

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by BadMoFo, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BadMoFo

BadMoFo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -1

I'd argue that Faulk's value should be much higher than some of the guy's ranked ahead of him. Can't say I agree or disagree with Morris' ranking. While he did play great for us, I needed to see more.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insi...espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=3422768

2. unoriginal

unoriginal In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +282 / 5 / -1

Give a writer a deadline and words pop out.

3. bradmahn

bradmahn In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Do you mind listing the names of the top 18 (even better would be the top 32)?

Consistency is in the eye of the beholder (Maroney was one of the best backs in terms of Success Rate last season, or gaining positive yardage on a per play basis) but all in all, I think those are fair assessments of each player, although I may say that Maroney's ability as a pass catcher is largely unknown considering that the few balls he has seen :)eek:) he's looked impressive. It may be more a matter of opportunity, as opposed to ability.

I'm also of the thinking that a full offseason with a healthy shoulder will improve his strength in pass pro and his ability to knock defenders out of his way; at 5-11, 220, I wouldn't say he lacks the size.

4. aztecafut

aztecafut Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

I agree. I think Faulks value to the Patriots is a lot higher than that. I know he is not a guy that can carry the whole work load but he does a lot more things for us than carry the ball. He is a pretty good blocker and we all know what excellent hands he has. When hes in the backfield it gives teams one more thing to worry about cause they know he can turn a two yard pass into a 15 to 20 yard gain easy. He is one of my favorite players because of that.

5. BadMoFo

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -1

Actually, it's a free preview on Insider.

6. WhoaDirty

WhoaDirty Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -1

Quick and dirty:

1. LT
    2. ADP
    3. SJax
    4. Westbrook
    5. LJ
    6. Addai
    7. Gore
    8. Barber
    9. Portis
    10. Lynch
    11. Fragile Fred
    12. McGahee
    13. Fast Willie
    14. MJD
    15. Jamal Lewis
    16. Michael Turner
    17. Brandon Jacobs
    18. Maroney
    19. Ronnie Brown
    20. Ryan Grant

Hmmmm ... that's all I can see out of the link. I think I'd rather have Westbrook on my team than LT, but that could be just me.

7. BadMoFo

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -1

I can actually see Maroney up to No. 15, more than that and it'd have to be quite a convincing argument. Marshawn seems too high, and I think this may be the last year we see Darth Vader in the top spot.

8. bradmahn

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I don't have any idea how they can include rookies on this list and Turner at 16 seems a little... je ne sais pas. He was a great back up, but is a great back up better than a good starter?

If anything, I think this list really highlights the fluidity after the top five. There's a big drop off from five to six, in my opinion, and every RB after that has some question marks. Crazy talents at RB are rare, and obviously it depends on your system/preference, but after them, I don't think there are many that set themselves apart from the rest.

9. Doonan24

Doonan24 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Marion Barber is overrated.

10. bradmahn

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

:agree:

He's fun to watch, but the way some people gush over him is pretty ridiculous.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  11. Crazyeechrispats1

Crazyeechrispats1 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Barber is a man among boys thing is, Maroney is just starting to live up to his potential he is still the same age as most rookies.
    Is going into training camp healthy, has been working on pass catching and blitz pickup.
    I believe he could be a top 5 back this season and we will see a much more aggressive stance towards the running game.
    Why put Tom in danger he has his records save alot of the hits he's gonna take to later on in the season.
    Let the combination of Maroney, Faulk ,K Jones hopefully.:cool:
    allow the patriots to run alot more keeping our young defense off the field and our prolific offense on it also to burn more clock time.

12. Metaphors

Metaphors In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I don't know if he had done enough to evaluate him as a full-time back. It will be interesting to see if he can survive an increased workload now that his "Hulk smash" stiff-arm move is now a point of emphasis (it has always been illegal).

Slightly off-topic...it is nice to see a point of emphasis not specifically targeted at the Patriots.

13. castlelong1

castlelong1 Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

To discuss it I'd have to go to ESPN, so i won't do it, but don't let stop you guys from being traitors.:)

14. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

>>>> 18. Laurence Maroney, New England Patriots
    Superpower --.................. He's not a natural receiver out of the backfield.

Maybe not, but in the open field, he's pretty exciting and his ypc (11.6) is higher than most all of those at the top of the list except ADP (better than S, Jackson, LDT and LJ).......
    Hopefully we'll see more of that this season as a change of pace as he's on the field more on obvious passing downs.

15. DocE

DocE Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

16. bradmahn

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I actually think Bush may be too high. He's caught a bunch of passes, but his playmaking ability saw a huge hit once McAllister went down with an injury. He caught fewer passes for fewer yards per (a pathetic 5.7 yards)... but he did raise his ypc from 3.6 to 3.7 and lowered the number of fumbles from 7 to 2. :rocker: :rolleyes:

I wouldn't include him in the top 32 running backs but hey, who am I?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  17. Keegs

Keegs In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

he's one of those players that went from underrated to overrated very quickly.

I wish i could think of some other players like this....

18. thechris

thechris Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

This is a very strange list. Marshawn Lynch a Top 10 back? Michael Turner over Ronnie Brown, Jacobs, and Maroney? And Fred Taylor over MJD?

19. Mr.Muhozi

Mr.Muhozi Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

i agree with thechris, its a strange list, but next year, i expect and hope maroney is in the top 5

20. Displaced - Fan

Displaced - Fan Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.