PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN fires Jason Whitlock

Status
Not open for further replies.
desi-patsfan said:
Lets not forget he could find racism in a loaf of bread.

I'm glad someone said it, I was about to. He, and to a lesser extent, Bill Rhoden both play the race card an awful lot.

I liked him. And all of you are WAY too sensitive on the race card. We need some ppl in the media to say it as it is, such as with dumbasses like Vince Young (which was Jason's best article btw).

drew4008 said:
We need some ppl in the media to say it as it is, such as with dumbasses like Vince Young (which was Jason's best article btw).

Well, fine, except in many cases, Mr. Whitlock said it as it....wasn't.

desi-patsfan said:
Lets not forget he could find racism in a loaf of bread.

They don't call it 'white' bread for nothing! :D

I never thought much of Whitlock. More a sports sensationalist, than columnist.

I love "Jim Rome is Burning" on ESPN. (actually it's the only ESPN show i can stand) I don't always agree with Rome, but i respect him. Anyway when he is gone and they have a guest host, it's terrible. The only guest host that wasn't terrible was Whitlock. Don't get me wrong, i don't love the guy---but he was a better choice than Bonnie Bernstein or the aging tennis pro (forget his name)

There are a lot of other people that should have been canned before him **cough** Michael Irvin **cough**:D

mtbykr said:
I love "Jim Rome is Burning" on ESPN. (actually it's the only ESPN show i can stand) I don't always agree with Rome, but i respect him. Anyway when he is gone and they have a guest host, it's terrible. The only guest host that wasn't terrible was Whitlock. Don't get me wrong, i don't love the guy---but he was a better choice than Bonnie Bernstein or the aging tennis pro (forget his name)

There are a lot of other people that should have been canned before him **cough** Michael Irvin **cough**:D

I don't know if they've ever filled in for Rome on his TV show, but I've really liked it when the Sklar brothers have done his radio show... Of course, I'm not much of a Jim Rome fan. I think he's kind of a pud.

mongoloido said:
I don't know if they've ever filled in for Rome on his TV show, but I've really liked it when the Sklar brothers have done his radio show... Of course, I'm not much of a Jim Rome fan. I think he's kind of a pud.

I have never seen them on the show, usually it's either whitlock or this weird tennis pro guy who is completely worthless. I have seen Bonnie Bernstein do it a couple times-------however i really like Rome. I know who the Skylar brothers are (even from their days on Becker) and that would be pretty sweet!

captain stone said:
Unfortunately, the racist hack may be correct.
No, the Pats are the biggest 2-1 fraud in the NFL. ;)

I never really cared for Jason Whitlock; I disagreed with his opinions more than just about any other reporter. And he did play the race card waayyy too often for more liking; then again I don't see race issues in much of anything nowadays so my sensitivity to it may need to be raised some.

After the article he wrote on Friday, I believe he deserved to be fired and happy that he was. His job has nothing to do with complaining about other reporters and his perceptions of unfairness in his TV shows; he's supposed to be reporting on *sports*. He crossed the line, IMO and got what he deserved.

I read a little of the link, but it seemed to smell of a self-righteous, "no one's going to tell me what to say" type of article. If that's his attitude and he believes he should be spouting off about anything that crosses his mind (or his path), then he got what he deserved. Take your ESPN problems to the ESPN management; don't be airing your hurt feelings in front of the public. We don't care. If you refuse to cover what you're being paid to cover and instead go off onto personality issues, then it's time to replace you with someone else who will do the job he's hired for.

Geeze, after reading his article I now have more respect for the guy. Anyone who takes off after those two 'reporters' for the reasons he did has my OK. Whit has his core beliefs (whether you like them or not) and sticks with them.

OK, I still hate him 'cause he's a Pats basher but hey he was right about the 2-0 fraud comment. Just a bit hyperbolic.

whatever kind of person he is...he article does mention something valid like

"I take being a journalist/columnist very seriously. To me, being a contract employee for ESPN did not mean I’d surrendered my right to blast the World Wide Leader in Sports for making the awful TV show “Playmakers,†employing as expert analysts clownish buffoons with drug problems such as Rush Limbaugh and Michael Irvin, and publishing the gangsta-posturing rantings of a poor writer."

For better or worse, he'll be back. ESPN.com fired Easterbrook for stereotyping jews as interested only in money (Easterbrook swears that wasn't his intent, but admits he chose his words poorly), yet his TMQ is back on Page 2 after a two year hiatus (and temporary home on NFL.com). Even though he was fired from his TV spots, I bet ESPN will have Whitlock back after a year or two. Once he comes back, he'll do what Bill Simmons does...disguise his pot shots instead of being blatant.

Regards,
Chris

chris_in_sunnyvale said:
For better or worse, he'll be back. ESPN.com fired Easterbrook for stereotyping jews as interested only in money (Easterbrook swears that wasn't his intent, but admits he chose his words poorly), yet his TMQ is back on Page 2 after a two year hiatus (and temporary home on NFL.com). Even though he was fired from his TV spots, I bet ESPN will have Whitlock back after a year or two. Once he comes back, he'll do what Bill Simmons does...disguise his pot shots instead of being blatant.

Regards,
Chris

I don't understand. Why take Jason Whitlock back? It's not like he was really good at what he does. Plenty of reporters around just as worthy or more worthy then Whitlock that we can listen to.

TruthSeeker said:
I don't understand. Why take Jason Whitlock back? It's not like he was really good at what he does. Plenty of reporters around just as worthy or more worthy then Whitlock that we can listen to.
Whitlock, for reasons beyond my understanding, must attract enough eyeballs/listeners to the point he's actually an asset rather than a liability. He survived the "Bledsoe is gay" episode from the Foxboro pressbox when KC visited in '98. He's allegedly written controversial race-baiting articles (I say allegedly because I didn't read them myself), yet survived. To each his own, I guess.

Regards,
Chris

It doesn't seem like many of the opinions here are well informed. Some here even bash Whitlock then admit to not reading his work. Somehow people have been indoctrinated to disfavor anyone that regularly mentions race issues in his writing. That's kind of scary....

I remember my first impression of Whitlock...."How the heck did he get a job on TV?"

This guy was a moron. I'm sorry but he was REALLY, REALLY BAD. His opinions were so shallow and he never backed anything up. It was really hard to take him seriously.

ESPN should be commended for firing him. The real mystery is why did they ever hire him in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes