Status
Not open for further replies.

Disco Volante

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
http://www.allphiladelphiasports.com/blog.php?bid=326

Eagles targetting Asante Samuel in free agency
Eagles News > Saturday, February-09-2008

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports Asante Samuel will be targeted by the Philadelphia Eagles and the New York Jets when he becomes a free agent at the end of this month. Samuel has stated that although he'd like to stay in New England, he will be listening to offers and won't be offering the Patriots a discount. Asante Samuel will be looking for that large signing bonus and long-term contract.

For those wondering what this means for Sheldon Brown and Lito Sheppard, the move would be perfect for the Eagles. First, with Lito Sheppard often injured at some point during the season, it's a huge luxury to have another excellent CB on the roster. Sheppard and Samuel will obviously be the starters at CB. Then, you can move Sheldon to the strong-safety position. I don't think anyone questions Brown's ability to hit the opposition, just ask Reggie Bush. I have too many images of Brown getting burnt when he is up against Plaxico Burress and that's been a huge weakness for the team.

A Samuel-Sheppard-Dawkins-Brown secondary would definitely strike fear into the hearts of the opposition and the Eagles front-seven is as good as any in the league, especially if Kearse or Abiamiri can step up this season and help out Trent Cole. Quintin Mikell and J.R. Reed would be the reserves at safety. That would give the Eagles the ability to throw Sean Considine in a trade package, either to acquire another player or move up in the draft because he'll no longer be needed.

The bottom line is the Eagles need to force more turnovers. Last season, Sheldon contributed 3 INTs and Sheppard had 2. Asante Samuel had 6 INTs last season and 10 INTs in his 2006 season. By adding Samuel to the team, it would not only be a huge upgrade at the CB position, but it would help out at safety too because Brown could move to strong safety. So far, I like what I'm seeing from the Eagles this offseason. It will be interesting to see what this team is going to look like next season. If this move does happen, it would be great news for the Eagles' approach to the draft because the Eagles could use their first-round pick on an OT to anchor the line for the next 10 years when Thomas and/or Runyan are set to retire instead of having to target a DB.

No one more unreliable then Chris "Eli Will Miss A Month" Mortensen but a topic for discussion anyways. Where would you rather see Asante go?

Eagles - We will only have to seem him once every 4 years, out of the AFC.
Jets - Our envious rival further hurting their team by grossly overpaying someone who isn't worth the blockbuster money.

Overpaying or not, I'd prefer Samuel not go to the Jets. Him and Revis would be a good pair and would make a strong secondary with Kerry Rhodes.

Eagles front 7 as good as anyone's? Now, that's laughable.

The Chargers and Jags have a ton of cap space I wouldn't be surprised if either of them take a run at Assante too. If he's going to leave I hope the "winner" pays 9M+/year. Let the bidding war begin.

If a Florida team comes up with the cash, that's where Asante's going.

Asante has gone on record many times that he wants a deal better then Nate Clements 8 years/$80 million/$22 million in guarantees signing.

:rofl:

I really want the Jets to waste their cap space on him. Sure just looking at the player, it's a great pickup for them. But it's the equivlient of paying $1,200 for a PS3.

Nice system, not worth the ridiculous money.

Asante has gone on record many times that he wants a deal better then Nate Clements 8 years/$80 million/$22 million in guarantees signing.
It's actually 7/$64M as the 8th year for about $15M has voided. Your point remains, however.

I doubt the Eagles will spend this much opn a corner. They often float names to give their fans a binky, and they have bigger needs elsewhere.

If the Jets/Eagles want to pay that kind of money to Asante...be our guest.

I would rather spend our cap money on improving our MLB's, OL, CB depth and re-sign Moss. They can have him.

It is good that Samuel has a shill to drive up the price. I don't think that Philly is interested, but there should be other bidders in addition to the jets.

I would note that jets are likely also interested in Gay, and perhaps even Wilson. Of course that would likely mean Poteat coming back to us.

Last edited:
As often as we talk about former players knowing the plays and tendencies of the Patriots and therefore representing a threat when they are on another team, by the same token, doesn't the Patriots staff also know the playing styles and tendencies of those players who have gone to other teams.

What former Patriot player of the last ten years has killed us when he went to a team which we subsequently played?

I would love to see Wilson, Gay, and Samuel on the Jets next year. They all have exploitable weaknesses that Brady will use against them to turn those games into a cakewalk.

The Eagles have Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown. Why would they want to fork over a ton of money for Samuel? If teams are smart they will remember the Nate Clements rule and not cripple your team for one player. I know the contract is backloaded at 80 million but still.

I would love to see Wilson, Gay, and Samuel on the Jets next year. They all have exploitable weaknesses that Brady will use against them to turn those games into a cakewalk.
Gay and Wilson, I agree, are JAGs that I don't give a crap about. I think you're overstating the downside of Samuel, though. He'll not be worth what he's paid but he's still a real solid player who we will miss.

I am always dubious about the Jets' interest in any Patriots player. Like they did with Deion Branch, their interest in Samuel may be purely to drive up Samuel's price to make the Pats overpay for him or are forced to pass on him all together. The Jets do have some cap space, but they have some far bigger holes to address this offseason including d-line, o-line, QB, and LB.

When will teams learn that the Patriots homegrown talent tends to suck in other systems?

Two reasons not to sign Samuel to a big money contract:
  1. Missing the pick on Tyree's TD - he was a half step too late.
  2. Missing the pick on the final Giants drive off his hands.
He didn't make the plays that could have made a difference.

If a Florida team comes up with the cash, that's where Asante's going.

I am not familiar with Miami's cash flow, but Miami or the Chargers seem likely. He will go to a strong organization I think.

He is gone, let's see what SP and BB have up their sleve...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes