PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN: "Don't be surprised if Bill Belichick doesn't last the season."

Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick4

Banned
Reaction score
The front page article, by TMQ:

"Will Belichick even be in coaching by season's end? When the Vick dogfighting scandal first broke, most football pundits, and most in the Atlanta and league offices, thought there would be few repercussions. Then they thought Vick would have to make some kind of apology. Then they thought he'd need some leave of absence. Then they thought he'd be suspended for a year. Now they wonder whether he'll ever be allowed to play again. By acting Nixonian, Belichick is accelerating his fall from grace. Today, Belichick and New England are trying to pretend the scandal is over. It would not surprise me in the slightest if, before the season ends, Belichick resigns, or is suspended, or is fired by Kraft, or even is permanently barred from the league. Belichick's head might be necessary to preserve the integrity of the game. Surprisingly soon, sacrificing Belichick to save professional football might seem an attractive option, even to Kraft. Remember, there is no law of nature that says the NFL must remain popular."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/070918&sportCat=nfl

Last edited:
What bull**** he signed an extension until 2013. Love how the article doesn't mention the Jets illegally simulating the snap count against the Ravens btw.

That makes all the sense in the world, especially since Kraft presented a game ball to Belickick after the Chargers game.

This is total speculation. Whoever wrote that did not cite one thing to back up his/her speculation.

Not worth reading but I did because of the title of the thread. Should have titled it "ESPN SPECULATION".

Wasn't this the clown who was kicked off ESPN a few years back for his anti-semitic harangue? Maybe HE should have been "banned" from writing about the NFL again. ***clown.

Sounds more like wishful thinking than anything else.

Belicheck isn't going anywhere. The scandal is over. BB will turn over his tapes and will make sure to get rid of anything that might make things worse. Goodell can't touch him without hard evidence. Goodell is a commissioner, not a judge, so he'll only get what BB gives him. This is over. What you should be afriad of is the fallout throughout the NFL. It looks like teams are heading into the "blame everyone else" direction. That could be a problem.

The article is such a distortion of fact. The writer disgraces himself by ignoring reason in order to further sensationalize the issue. The big issue here in seperating what Belichick did and what the players who were suspended did, is the fact that the players all committed crimes. Belichick broke a competition rule and paid dearly for it. Boy..issues like this really expose most in the sports media as what they truly are....complete hacks!

It's page 2 garbage which is usually satire.

I wonder when ESPN is finally going to realize that printing this garbage is only going to speed their own decline, not the decline of the NFL.

"But San Diego's new defensive coordinator, Ted Cottrell, was defensive coordinator for the Bills and Jets, both AFC East teams, in the Belichick period. Perhaps Belichick has spied on Cottrell's calls before and took out the tapes of the spying rather than handing them over as Goodell demanded. Was New England cheating again Sunday night, when the Patriots advanced the ball with such ease it seemed they knew what defense San Diego would be in?"

Here's what I replied to that article:

_______

Dear Mr. Easterbrook,

Don't you think D Coords change their signals often?

If you don't, you're an imbecile.

Why? Simple. Because players move from team to team year to year. In almost every game this year, Cottrell will be facing enemy players who used to play under him in Buffalo and NY.

I hope this realization doesn't make your head hurt too hard.
________

Reading the other 120 or so comments, he's getting almost universally lambasted.

The overplaying by the Easterbrooks, et al may just now be causing a backlash in areas even outside of NE.

The front page article:

"Will Belichick even be in coaching by season's end? When the Vick dogfighting scandal first broke, most football pundits, and most in the Atlanta and league offices, thought there would be few repercussions. Then they thought Vick would have to make some kind of apology. Then they thought he'd need some leave of absence. Then they thought he'd be suspended for a year. Now they wonder whether he'll ever be allowed to play again. By acting Nixonian, Belichick is accelerating his fall from grace. Today, Belichick and New England are trying to pretend the scandal is over. It would not surprise me in the slightest if, before the season ends, Belichick resigns, or is suspended, or is fired by Kraft, or even is permanently barred from the league. Belichick's head might be necessary to preserve the integrity of the game. Surprisingly soon, sacrificing Belichick to save professional football might seem an attractive option, even to Kraft. Remember, there is no law of nature that says the NFL must remain popular."

Just read it. Yes, Belichick could be forced to resign by seasons end...its amazing what a media witchhunt can accomplish (and Vick's case is a good example of what can happy when you don't do exactly what you think the media should do which is to constantly kiss their *ss). I also love how he blames Belichick for tarnishing the leagues rep when its the media blowing everything out of proportion with wild speculation of what Belichick could have done with absolutely no proof whatsoever. He himself is guilty of accusing Belichick of cheating based on things said by jealous and bitter former players who hate the Pats and need to make excuses for their own inadequacy. Then again, easterbrook recently (last few years) wrote articles basically saying he started to believe in global warming, so it doesn't surprise me he would fall easily for wild speculation.

The media is tarnishing the leagues image, and the image of one of its best coaches and the whole thing reeks of bitter jealously and simple hatred for being just that much better then everyone else.

The front page article, by TMQ:

I hope articles like that Make ESPN no longer popular.
Keep giving us stories about NASCAR and the opinion of an 8 year old on sports. WTF???!?! (for those that have seen that)

BB and Kraft are NOT going to like this from ESPN...
And the repercussion is going to be immense given Kraft's authority as an owner.

If the NFL knew what was good for it, it would end this probe, make sure BB STOPS taping signals and move along and focus on FOOTBALL. Why not call out the NFL ESPN?? Wait a minute... that would be biting the hand that feeds you... Or maybe after forking over 100M$(?) for MNF you're pissed the FOX got the tape??

Boy I thought I read all the bad stories on this . Comparing the NFL to the NBA is hilarious . Thanks Easterbrook for the poor journalism it made me laugh.

I guarantee you that Goodell will not "find" anything on those tapes. He is seeing how this story is lingering and how current and former coaches and players are admitting to these things have been happening for a while. He is also seeing Billick throwing allegations at Mangini and expects more to come.

If he adds additional penalties on Belichick and the Patriots for stuff that happened three or four years ago, he is going to open a Pandora's Box that will do some serious damage to this league. I see this seizing the tapes thing is more of a PR thing to show the league and fans that he is going to investigate thoroughly. But this scandal needs to end for the good of the league.

I read that article, and had thought prior to this we were on the other side of this "scandal".... easterbunny of whatever the f his name is, is just trying to keep it going, keep flaming it with no regard for the facts. Makes is sound like BB is the only one who tries to steal signals... I flabbergasted by the whole thing.

Looks like it got plenty of readers. Why bother dignifying that type of article by reading it. They're just selling clicks and ad views.

Wonder why?
the Worldwide Leader in Sports
... seems to be taking the lead in this defamation !

Looks like it got plenty of readers. Why bother dignifying that type of article by reading it. They're just selling clicks and ad views.

Wow - they really dont want this stroy to go away. Amazing.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots