PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN: Doc Rivers to return next season

Great news.

I don't know if the players feelings mimic the fans at all - but from my own perspective...when the season ended, I felt such a feeling of finality and disappointment, I thought this group was done.

Now, with Doc coming back in the fold, I'm feeling the momentum and feeling like this team has another run in them.

The thing a lot of commentators are missing when talking about this team is that Rondo is still the key. Sure, it'd be nice to have the big 3 back. But Rondo carried this team - and the reason they lost wasn't necessarily b/c the big 3 faltered (it didn't help that they did), but it was that Rondo failed to take the next step to superstardom.

Rondo needs to go work on his shot, all day. If he can hone his jumper and his free throw shooting, this team will compete in any year he's on the roster. Unfortunately, I just think its mental with him to some extent and that he'll never quite be the complete player that he could be. He's a jump shot away from being a top 10, easily, player in this league. Sadly, I don't think he'll get over that hump.

Last edited:
I think this means its a given that Pierce re-signs to a multi-year deal, and Allen comes back as well (how long I don't know)

Doc wouldn't be back if they were blowing up the team

Good news ... the biggest news will be finding a center because none of the guys we have cut it. Perk cannot be expected back fully even when he returns and Garnett is not strong enough to do it anymore.

We need some quality youth playing and to slowly transition this veteran team. Great news if Doc comes back.

Last edited:
We need some quality youth playing and to slowly transition this veteran team. Great news if Doc comes back.

Exactly my thoughts....I just hope with Doc coming back for 1 more season (possibly that's all) that he doesn't put all his eggs in one basket.....We need to rebuild with some youth along with competing with the older players.....I love Ray as much as the next guy but with his salary we need to let him go....He had 1 big game in the finals and if he showed up more consistently we probably win the series.....We need to get a younger SG that can shoot to bring in and take over for Ray......He will come cheaper and possibly be more effective.....Great news though with Doc coming back as all the players love him....

Supposedly Carlos Boozer isn't getting a whole lot of attention from teams, focused on the bigger names...

I wonder what this guy could be signed for... and whether having Pierce @$12 million and KG with his $21 remaining would leave room to sign Boozer

Again - here's a guy who might be considered "undersized" but you can't argue with the stats - especially the rebounds

Carlos Boozer Career Statistics - Utah Jazz - ESPN

Brendan Haywood could be a good compliment to cover for Perkins until he's back and provide some backup minutes too - probably at a cheaper price than Boozer

Last edited:
As much as I love Ray Allen ... I think the best way for the Celtics to proceed will be to not resign him if it's for more than 5 million a year. As I posted last year I still feel the Celtics would be best served by having Pierce moving to SG. A younger SF would be good for the team ... or ... even having Baby transition to SF for now might be something to consider with the salary cap problems.

Not signing Allen and moving Pierce to SG would free up more money to sign a C / PF type of player.

Supposedly Carlos Boozer isn't getting a whole lot of attention from teams, focused on the bigger names...

I wonder what this guy could be signed for... and whether having Pierce @$12 million and KG with his $21 remaining would leave room to sign Boozer

Again - here's a guy who might be considered "undersized" but you can't argue with the stats - especially the rebounds

Carlos Boozer Career Statistics - Utah Jazz - ESPN

Brendan Haywood could be a good compliment to cover for Perkins until he's back and provide some backup minutes too - probably at a cheaper price than Boozer
Rebounding killed us against the Lakers. If we want a championship calibre team this is the single most important issue that needs to be addressed.

It's going to be interesting to see Ainge work it out.

If we want a championship calibre team

This is what kills me so much, we HAD one.

Nothing more championship calibre than having a 13 point lead in the 3rd quarter of a championship clinching game.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back