PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN: Charlie Weis accepts OC job with Chiefs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disco Volante

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Sources: Charlie Weis to become Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator - ESPN

Charlie Weis has agreed to become the offensive coordinator of the Kansas City Chiefs, according to team and league sources.

Weis could be named to the position within the next 24 to 48 hours, the sources said.

Weis will be reunited with head coach Todd Haley, with whom he shared an office when both were young assistants with the New York Jets. Weis also will be reunited with Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli, who was the Patriots vice president of player personnel when Weis was the offensive coordinator for three Super Bowl championships before he became the coach at Notre Dame.

Last edited:
Kinda bummed out actually...:(

Because of BB's ego, I knew it was a long shot for Weiss to return. I think BB wants to prove he can win a super bowl on his own without his original coordinators.

So much for "Weis and Pioli hate each other".

And we have to settle with Bill O'Brien for perhaps another season...just great. :mad:

That was quick, it was bound to happen but they need some help on the defensive side of the ball since they essentially have two offensive coordinators..

Good, we need the Chiefs to beat the Raydahs twice next year.

Last edited:
Not surprised in the least...best opertunity for him since the Chiefs are his best chance to rebuild the offense into one that he can control and put his guys in place and is controlled by two guys who know him and his style well.

Good luck, Charlie!

The chiefs are going to be insanly better next year. they have a fantastic RB and QB that we all know can mange a game and now a decent OC

Charlie wants to be a head coach again. Coming back to the Pats would hinder that process. Even if he won another Super Bowl, he would be considered part of a system. If he makes Cassel what he was in 2008 again and turn around that offense, he will probably get another job as soon as 2011.

QB that we all know can mange a game

Hell, if you put some talent around him he can flat out win games. (eg: Back-to-back 400 yard games)

Of course, I don't think he'll ever have another duo as talented as Moss & Welker.

Because of BB's ego, I knew it was a long shot for Weiss to return. I think BB wants to prove he can win a super bowl on his own without his original coordinators.

:bricks: ..............

Nothing like inventing drama

Charlie wants to be a head coach again. Coming back to the Pats would hinder that process. Even if he won another Super Bowl, he would be considered part of a system. If he makes Cassel what he was in 2008 again and turn around that offense, he will probably get another job as soon as 2011.

That is what I am thinking.

I agree with you 100%. There will be no Romeo back either.

My first reaction was a combination of surprise, disappointment and resentment, pretty much in that order.

I was surprised that he made this decision without there at least being active rumors swirling that he was coming back to New England. Then I was disappointed in the same and finally I resented that we would have to go another year without the benefit of a premier OC.

But when I thought about it, it makes complete sense for Weis. If he'd come to Foxboro, he would have always been competing with himself and what he accomplished here. He is a genius at developing young, talented QB's and in KC he's teaming up with a Personnel genius who will listen very seriously to what he has to say. :)

I'll leave it to others to speculate on whether New England was not big enough for both Belichick and Weis as well as on whether BB is motivated by showing he can win an SB without Weis. My guess is "maybe" on the former and "I don't think so" on the latter.

But the main reason I think he didn't come here is that he's 53 and probably hopes to move up to be an HC in no more than three years; since BB shows no signs of retiring, it would have meant that he would have had to leave "again."

And, as an afterthought, I wondered at first whether Todd Haley might start to feel added pressure to succeed with Weis in the wings. But, then I reflected that the Chief's success would be a classic "Win-Win" for both Weis and Haley, as they clearly have significant mutual self-interest at the heart of their relationship; plus, I guess they already know each other pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes