PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN & CBS Week 2 Picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike Reiss predicts the Pats will win 20-17 and Tedy Bruschi is going with the Pats by a score of 17-10:

Tedy Bruschi and Mike Reiss preview the New England Patriots' Week 2 game against the New York Jets - ESPN Boston

Mike: Let's wrap it up with predictions, Tedy. I expect the Jets to play a better all-around game than they did Monday night. They don't want to go to 0-2 with a trip to Miami scheduled for next week. It's going to take a complementary game to beat them. As dominant as I think the Patriots' offense can be, I think the Jets' defense can be that dominant. I think the magic number is 20. If the Patriots score 20, I think they win it. I think they can, so I'll go 20-17 Patriots.

Tedy: Last week I saw a Jets team that looked like they were reading too many of their own press clippings. What was really telling for me was that when the going got tough, it looked like their offense quit. The Patriots are all about mental toughness and they know this is a tough road test, going to the New Meadowlands Stadium with those Jets fans all fired up. Their confidence should be sky high after the season-opening win. I think they get that tough road win they've been longing for, 17-10.

The New York Post is suggesting you put your money on the Pats.

Brady-Welker combo will jolt the Jets - NYPOST.com

Patriots (-2½) over JETS: Wes Welker was absent in last year's New England loss in the Jersey swamp. Patriots have been sparkling artificial-turf team throughout Tom Brady's tenure. Even if Darrelle (watch that hammy!) Revis handcuffs ex-captain Randy Moss, Brady can tattoo foe Pats hold in utmost contempt.

By the way, if you're interested in how NY/NJ is looking at this game, here's a link to many columns on this week's game from their Jets section:

New York Jets | NY Jets - News, Photos, Highlights, Videos, Scores, Tickets, Schedules - NYPOST.com

Te patriots are doomed. I think the Jets offense looked so bad because the Ravens have the best defense in football.They will not be this bad against the Patriots.

The Jets offense may be better today but the Jet defense is not facing Joe Flacco (who was absolutely horrible on Monday night - missed open receivers all night long) and that Raven offense. Tom Brady and his many weapons will score a lot more than 10 points on that Jet D today.

The Jets offense may be better today but the Jet defense is not facing Joe Flacco (who was absolutely horrible on Monday night - missed open receivers all night long) and that Raven offense. Tom Brady and his many weapons will score a lot more than 10 points on that Jet D today.

It'll be interesting to see how the Bengals-Ravens game plays out, with the Pats-Jets Week 1 opponents going up against each other.

I just heard on EEI that the Chargers home opener is prolly gonna be blacked out in San Diego. What a joke those fans are. They're all pissed off after the pathetic loss to The Chiefs. I'm still laughing about the '06 loss there to The Pats. Those fans are totally fed up with their team choking every single year after they talk trash all regular season. After a while, they're tired of lookin' tha fool. Yeah, now they refuse to even fill that place on a home opener. Good. Screw all of em.

Te patriots are doomed. I think the Jets offense looked so bad because the Ravens have the best defense in football.They will not be this bad against the Patriots.

Maybe the Raven's D looked so good because the Jets' O is so bad. Cincy swept that Baltimore team last year.

The guys from Sunday NFL Countdown have posted their picks, and surprisingly, they're all in agreement picking the Pats to win.

FWIW, they also all pick the Chiefs (surprising considering 6 out of 8 of the other set of ESPN analysts who make picks took the Browns). Also, 3 out of 4 are taking Seattle and Cincinnati in upsets and 2 of them are picking Miami to upset Minny at home.

Five out of eight on the staff of the New York Daily News have bailed on their home team, and are picking the Pats (-2) to win today; one of them even makes the Pats his best bet.

NFL Staff Picks

NFL Week 2 bettor's guide: Inside the Matchups

Patriots at Jets
Patriots by 2, 38

Did you know your skull is made up of 29 different bones? Did you know Jets fans fractured - on average -24 of them watching that woeful offensive performance against the Ravens Monday night? Just 176 total yards and six first downs? There hasn't been anything that brutal to watch since "Police Academy 4." This week, expect Rex Ryan to have Mark Sanchez target the Pats' green secondary, which includes rookie Devin McCourty from Rutgers and second-year man Darius Butler at the corners, in hopes of opening things up offensively. Tom Brady is good for at least two scoring tosses and, while the Randy Moss-Darrelle Revis matchup will make for must-see TV (assuming Revis' hamstring problems are minor), who will be shutting down Wes Welker? He had 15 catches for 192 yards - both career highs - against Gang Green last November. Memo to Jets: Less talk, more walk.

IF I WERE A BETTING MAN: Patriots and the under.

From papers that cover other teams in the division:

Greg Cote's Week 2 NFL selections - Greg Cote - MiamiHerald.com

NFL GAME OF THE WEEK

NEW ENGLAND (1-0) VS. N.Y. JETS (0-1)

Line: NE by 2 -- Cote's pick: NE 24-21

Close call for the GOTW committee, but how can you deny Bill Belichick vs. Rex Ryan and also Randy Moss vs. Darrelle Revis in a game of such interest and import to Miami and Dolfans? Moss feels underappreciated; Revis calls Moss a ``slouch.'' I think Randy will be highly motivated. Also you gotta love Tom Brady striding into this stadium after saying he ``hates'' the Jets. Add in NYJ's desperation after losing last week and Pats' recent series dominance -- including an 8-1 run on the road vs. Jets -- and you have early season intensity to the max. No result would surprise, and Planes are sexy as a home-dog pick, but series trend makes me like English.

Dave Hyde | Sun Sentinel blogs | Hyde: Vikes over Dolphins, other picks

New England Patriots 27, New York Jets 20. Tom Brady is back after a slow start last year due to knee injury. Wes Welker is back. The Jets' defense is without nose tackle Kris Jenkins and lniebacker Calvin Pace. The Jets look like they're coming into the Dolphins' game 0-2.

It's a hard-knock life for Jets and other contenders - Bills & NFL - The Buffalo News

Had it up to here with the New York Jets? "Hard Knocks?" Rex? Revis Island? Ines Sainz? Mark "Sanchise?" Sadly, the hype isn't over yet.

With the possible exception of tonight's meeting of the Manning brothers in Indianapolis, the Week Two game that seems destined to get the most attention on the National Football League schedule is the Jets' game against the New England Patriots at New Meadowlands Stadium.

And, guess what? The Jets will be in the Monday Night Football spotlight in Week Three against the Dolphins in Miami. The next week, Gang Green comes to play the Bills.

The Jets were one of several supposed Super Bowl candidates or 2009 division champions to lose openers last weekend. Dallas, Minnesota, Atlanta and San Francisco in the NFC and Indianapolis, San Diego and Cincinnati also lost. Some turned in huge duds. For example, the Cowboys, Vikings, Falcons and 49ers managed a combined 31 points in their losses. The Colts and Bengals in the AFC gave up 34 and 38, respectively.

None of the eight can afford to start 0-2 so those are teams to watch in the Week Two schedule.

Game of the day

Patriots (1-0) at Jets (0-1)

The line: Patriots (-3)

The scoop: Didn't take long for the Gotham Media to turn on Rex and the Jets. The heat is on the Jets already. ... The Patriots unloaded RB Laurence Maroney in a trade during the week, leaving them with three aging veterans in Fred Taylor (34), Sammy Morris (33) and Kevin Faulk (34) among their four RBs. Belichick only has six days, not five months, to get ready for this one.

Outlook: Pats gave up 428 yards and benefited from two long returns in 14-point win over Bengals. Jets pride at stake. New York, 17-13.

Last edited:
Da Bears are back!
Cowboys staring at an 0-2 start!!!

Da Bears are back!
Cowboys staring at an 0-2 start!!!

I had a 'who is going to be the first coach fired' thread a few weeks ago and my choice was Wade Phillips and from the looks of the first 2 games,I am on the right hunch...Jerry Jones is not going to put up with mismanagement of a team talented on both sides of the ball

Phillips is,has been, and will always be an average DC and nothing else,he has no business being a HC in this league

Last edited:
I guess the mediators were on the money as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back