PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN & CBS Week 2 Picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out the rest of Schefter's picks.

He is the only one that has picked the Cardinals, Lions, Steelers as well as the only one to pick the Jets, and only one of two to pick the Redskins and 49ers.

He knows exactly what he is doing so that if some of them win, he can go on record as saying he was the only one who got them right, but if they lose, all he gets are a few "told ya so's" Its a nice ploy he is using.

Interesting picks. I like Schefter- I follow his twitter and think he's generally just a great reporter with inside scoop who gets stuck needing to pick games even though he admits it's anyone's guess half the time. Anyway, I'm kind of surprised on some of these picks, as he's the only one that's taking the underdog.

Arizona over Atlanta. I''d probably take Atlanta, but I'd agree that the Falcons are extremely overrated and wouldn't be surprised if they lost.

Detroit over Philadelphia. I like this pick. I think the Lions win at home against Vick.

Pittsburgh over Tennessee. I also like this pick. Pittsburgh has a nasty defense and I think Dixon has better command in game 2. Tennessee just beat a terrible team and they're nothing special.

Jets over Patriots. I'll take the Pats, but I'm surprised he is the only one taking the Jets. I wouldn't be shocked at all if the Jets win, given the Pats road record last year and the Jets' desperation.

Washington over Houston. I expect a huge letdown from the Texans, and I don't think they match-up well with Washington. Houston also missing Owen Daniels.

49ers over Saints. I think this is his worst pick. I don't like the Niners' chances in this game. One other analyst picked the Niners. The Saints have arguably won 16 of their last 17 meaningful games (and maybe 17 depending on how hard you think they played against Dallas last year)... the streak will end, but against a worthy opponent, not a team that just got blown out by Seattle.

Last edited:
Te patriots are doomed. I think the Jets offense looked so bad because the Ravens have the best defense in football.They will not be this bad against the Patriots.

Nope, they might have the best front seven, but when they play a real QB that secondary will be exposed and it won't be pretty. The Jets just played to the Ravens strengths.

I gotta tell you, I think that the rumour that Sayton Manning is injured is dead on, and I expect the Giants to take down the Colts this weekend. I think that the Giants come after him hard and fast and he ends up on the ground more so this weekend then last, and that's saying something. There was one play where Manning went down hard and laid there, face down, for a few seconds, enough to make a lot of folks nervous.

Regardless, I think that we all saw the real NYJ this past weekend, and that by the end of their bye week, there will be an awful lot of JETS fans wearing bags over their heads.

CSNNE's Tom Curran seems to have changed his tune very quickly in regards to his outlook for the Pats:

Week 2 Preview: Pats will divide, conquer

Confidence-wise, the Patriots are feeling pretty good about themselves. They believe there are plays out there for their offense to make against this Jets defense. New York, meanwhile, might be feeling OK about its defense, but offensively and on special teams the Jets were undisciplined last week. It will take longer for them to get their swagger back.

SCORE, PLEASE
Patriots 23, Jets 10

Too many weapons for the vaunted Jets defense to keep track of and another hard-hitting and tenacious effort by the Patriots young secondary as New England dumps the Jets into an 0-2 hole and touches off a new round of worry in Gotham for the "future Super Bowl champs."

Last edited:
WEEI's Kirk Minihane is predicting the Pats will win 20-10.

patriots - Week 2 NFL picks: Coming around on the Patriots - WEEI | Kirk Minihane

But I'm going with the Patriots (against my preseason pick) because I think Mark Sanchez is A) not a very good quarterback and B) a not very good quarterback with absolutely no confidence. His mind is all over the place right now, which is shocking because I was half-convinced that he was legally brain-dead after watching him drool through "Hard Knocks." Again, we still don't know if the Patriots young defense is good (sorry, one week vs. Cincy isn't a sale) but there's clearly some increased athleticism. I'm banking on a couple of turnovers from Sanchez and a pretty safe game plan from the Patriots offense. Winning ugly time, but it'll be the first test passed.

WEEI also interviewed Rodney Harrison, who is predicting a win for the Pats.

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports...10/09/16/rodney-harrison-on-dh-pats-will-win/

On the game Sunday, “I think the Patriots will win, definitely,” Harrison said. “I’m really impressed with the defense, the youth and the speed. I’m watching the tape and I’m like, ‘Wow, look how fast how these guys are.’ They look like they know exactly where they’re going. [Tom] Brady looks good.”

Rodney also had this comment in comparing the Colts and the Jets:
I can sum it up like this: The Patriots hate the Jets, but I still think the Indianapolis Colts [are] the bigger rivalry. You look at the Jets and you go up a couple of notches for Jets week. When you play against the Colts it goes up another notch. The simple fact is: The Patriots respect the Colts. The Patriots hate the Jets.

Last edited:
Onlu Shef and Mot picked the Jets... but looking back to week 1, they were the only ones who picked the Bills to beat Miami too. How did that work out for em?

Peter Schrager of FoxSports has the Pats winning by a field goal in a high scoring game.

NFL Week 2 picks and predictions - NFL News - FOX Sports on MSN

New England at New York Jets: I received a few good texts as the big-mouthed Jets were being shut up and shut down during their season- and stadium-opening loss Monday night. Two of the better ones? “J-E-T-S: Just Exciting Till September” and “The Sanchize? More like The Sanch-eckdown”. Hey, I wasn’t sold on this new-look Jets offense from the start. Thomas Jones was an underappreciated workhorse, Leon Washington was a talented do-everything guy and Alan Faneca, though a bit long in the tooth, still had some good run blocking left in the tank. NFL Films and HBO truly deserve Sports Emmys for their masterful work in presenting the Jets offense as something worth being even mildly scared of this summer. OK, I’m done ranting. The Patriots win on a field goal in the final seconds Sunday. Now, I’m gonna go eat a #$*#@ snack.

The Pick: Patriots 27, Jets 24

Last edited:
Though offering no insight to the game, Bill Simmons thinks the Pats will not only win, but will cover the spread.

Bill Simmons NFL Week 2 picks - ESPN

Pats (-3) over JETS

Dave W. in Rapid City made me feel better about Tom Brady's hair: "My theory is that Gisele has been watching 'True Blood,' loves vampire Bill and wants her husband to look just like him." I like it! Vampires are in right now.

Unrelated: Wes Welker's dramatic comeback from an ACL tear, followed by two touchdown catches in Week 1, got me more choked up than the "It's real to me d%#*!@t" guy. I love that guy. I thought about buying a Rob Gronkowski jersey because I'm a sucker for tight ends and he's potentially the best Pats tight end since Ben Coates -- they even gave him No. 87 -- but I couldn't cheat on the Welker jersey. Not after that comeback. So I settled on making the Gronk my Twitter avatar. By the way, I turn 41 in a week.

True....but there's no way Sanchez outscores Brady.

Jets have to get 10-14 defensive points to win this matchup.

Good way to look at it.

If we assume that the Jet's Offense alone is good for no more than 17--20 points (or roughly twice what they did against a very tough, experienced Ravens D, plus after getting bashed all week) and if you assume that the Pats' Offense (with Brady and his old/new weapons plus 125 or so yards on the ground) is good for 24--30 points (with Revis hobbled and Jenkins out), then the Jets need 6--13 points from Pats turnovers or poor field position to win the game. Yeah, that makes sense. I just wish that Gostkowski hadn't gotten me nervous with that 43 yard miss last week, even if I give him a pass on the 50+ yarder.

Last edited:
Walter Football is predicting the Pats will blow the Jets out. He has a pretty good track record of betting against the spread; hopefully he is correct again.

WalterFootball.com: NFL Picks Against the Spread - Week 2, 2010

RECAP: All offseason, Brady and Belichick have been hearing about how awesome the Jets are. They listened to NFL analysts pick the Jets to win the AFC East and advance to the Super Bowl. Plain and simple, this is a statement game for New England.

And think about the spread this way: All Brady has to do is win. The line is -2, so you basically have to choose a straight-up wager between Brady and Sanchez. That really is a no-brainer.

The Psychology. Edge: Patriots.
Respect. Everyone has been saying the Jets are going to Super Bowl. Tom Brady and Bill Belichick are still in F-U mode.

The Vegas. Edge: Jets.
No shock that the public loves the Patriots after the Jets' Monday night futility.
Percentage of money on New England: 86% (51,000 bets)

The Trends. Edge: Patriots.
History: Patriots have won 12 of the last 15 meetings.
Patriots are 29-17 ATS vs. AFC East opponents since 2001.
Tom Brady is 109-36 as a starter (85-57 ATS).
Jets are 5-10 ATS in September home games since 2000 (2-0 in 2009).
Opening Line: Patriots -1.
Opening Total: 40.

Week 2 NFL Pick: Patriots 34, Jets 10
Patriots -3 (5 Units)
Over 38.5 (0 Units)

Last edited:
AOL Fanhouse has the Pats winning 24-17:

NFL Picks Week 2: Peyton Needs Latest Manning Bowl More -- NFL FanHouse

With this kind of early schedule, Rex and his lads should have been a lot quieter. Bill Belichick with extra incentive? Tom Brady berating New England fans for not being as loud as Jets fans?

Tom solves the fan problem, throws at Antonio Cromartie and Kyle Wilson just as Joe Flacco did last week and drops the "champions'' before the fact to 0-2.

The Sporting News is going with the Pats by six.

SN's Week 2 NFL picks - NFL - Sporting News

AFC Game of the Week
New England (-1 1/2) at N.Y. Jets. The Jets are coming off a physically draining Monday night loss. Brady and the Patriots' offense are rolling early, just in time to handle Rex Ryan's blitzes. Darrelle Revis can't shut down both Randy Moss and Wes Welker.

Patriots 20, Jets 14

NBC Sports/PFT is split in their prediction; Florio has the Pats winning easily while Gregg Rosenthal is going with the Jets by four.

PFT's Week 2 picks: Peyton will beat brother Eli - NFL- NBC Sports

Patriots at Jets

Florio's take: During an offseason of incessant Jets chirping, the Patriots have remained largely silent. Apart from Tom Brady's acknowledgement that he hates the Jets, the Pats have avoided the trash talk. Instead, the Patriots have saved it for the field, and the Jets may have a hard time saving themselves as the Pats make the only kind of statement that truly matters in football.

Florio's pick: Patriots 35, Jets 13.

Rosenthal's take: What goes up in the NFL usually comes down. And vice versa. An overconfident team loses one week, gets ripped, and plays hungry the next time out. Last year, Rex Ryan called the Jets' Week Two game against the Patriots the team's Super Bowl. This one is far more important. The Jets know they can't go 0-2 at home to start the year. The Jets defense still looks great. The offense can find a way on the ground. Don't crown the Patriots yet; this will be a season-long battle.

Rosenthal's pick: Jets 20, Patriots 16.

From the Boston Globe, Christopher Gasper and Shalise Manza Young are going with the Pats to cover a 1-1/2 point spread, while Jim McBride and Monique Walker are taking the Jets and the points.

Globe staff's pro picks: Week 2 - Boston.com

McBride gives his pre-game breakdown and predicts the pats will win 24-23.

Patriots at Jets - The Boston Globe

JETS’ KEYS TO VICTORY:
1. Hot start: Mark Sanchez has to get into a groove early by hitting short passes to move the ball and boost his confidence.

2. Baggage carousel: Defensive ends Shaun Ellis and Jason Taylor have to whirl their way around the tackles and get into Tom Brady’s face.

3. Special effort: Returners Brad Smith and Jim Leonhard have to make something happen to give the woeful offense short fields to work with.

PATRIOTS’ KEYS TO VICTORY:
1. Everybody’s invited: Mix up the coverages and blitz from all angles. Mark Sanchez lacks maturity and hasn’t shown he can overcome adversity.

2. Slot machines: Sure, Wes Welker needs his touches, but let young guys Julian Edelman and Brandon Tate get some time to keep the Jets’ tongues wagging.

3. Stay on task: Yes, the crowd will be loud, and Rex Ryan and his troops will come out hootin’ and hollerin’. Keep the game tight, and the Jets and their crowd will quiet down.

Last edited:
Jim Donaldson of the Providence Journal advises bettors to take the Jets and the points, basing his reasoning that people over react to one game (the 2003 season opener is his example), plus teams with their back against the wall tend to do well (the Jets cannot afford to go 0-2.)

Jim Donaldson: Take the Jets and the points | New England Patriots | projo.com | The Providence Journal

While we may not care for his prediction, he has a good look at how the rivalry has evolved.

There is no love lost between these two teams, whose rivalry dates back to the founding days of the American Football League, when the Titans played in the Polo Grounds and Billy Sullivan’s vagabonds played wherever they could find a stadium that would have them.

In subsequent seasons, Jets QB Joe Willie Namath wore white shoes while the overmatched Patriots waved white flags.

In 1979, the first year I covered the Patriots, New York put an end to the Pats’ playoff hopes with a 27-26 win that culminated with the two teams brawling under the lights in Shea Stadium. That was payback for a humiliating, 56-3 rout the Jets had absorbed at the hands of the Pats in Week Two.

A few years later, Don Hasselbeck broke Joe Klecko’s leg in Foxboro, and the enmity between the two teams only continued to increase — doing so exponentially when Bill Parcells, after leading the Patriots to the AFC championship in 1996, abandoned New England to return to New York and coach the Jets.

Turnabout was fair play when, in 2000, Belichick, mere hours after being handed the Jets’ coaching job, announced he was resigning as “HC of the NYJ” in order to take over the Patriots.

Donaldson's colleague Robert Lee breaks down the game and predicts the Pats will win 21-17:

Analysis: Slight edge to Pats | New England Patriots | projo.com | The Providence Journal

The key to the game could be in the first 10 minutes. If the Patriots can get on the scoreboard and make Sanchez and Co. play from behind, New England will be in very good shape. If the Jets can keep the game close early, then the Patriots will be in trouble if their defensive second-half performance of Week 1 is an indication of things to come.

pretty shocking how most are taking the browns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes