PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN: Cassel has accepted the franchise tender [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a video with Mort on ESPN who thinks he'll stay here for the year. I just don't see it. Cassel has at least earned the right to start in this league. While I think his value is a little inflated right now (which works to our advantage), he's also proven he's far better than a lot of the NFL QBs out there.

I think you're right, also because I just don't see the Pats carrying $29M of QB cost on the books, even for 1 year. I think that if they don't trade Cassel quickly (within the next month) they'll sign him to a multiyear deal which is more cap friendly, and either trade him later on or keep him.

So if Cassel stays who plays if Brady is healthy? If Brady is healthy game 4 do they let Brady start?

ARE YOU GUYS SERIOUS...THIS MEANS NOTHING!!!!!!

(1) cassel is guaranteeing he gets paid
(2) patriots are protecting themselves in the worst case scenario brady is injured

Ive been the #1 supporter of keeping cassel around here, but this means nothing. stop babbling about it, its just formality stuff

expected......its all part of the process........I don't believe anyone in the pats FO believed that cassel would just sit therewith 14.5M sitting on the table and not lock it in..........WHAT IF HE FALLS DOWN THE STAIRS TOMORROW?

I stick to my guns that he will not be on the team by draft day

So if Cassel stays who plays if Brady is healthy? If Brady is healthy game 4 do they let Brady start?
If Brady is healthy he starts. Clearly.

haha, i cant believe that question was even asked. but yes. if brady is healthy he plays. you all know i think we need Cassel just in case. however, the price right now is ridiculous and probably prohibitive. at this point he either signs a multi year extension or gets traded.

i would have to think a multi year deal was probably talked about but the sides are far apart. if they werent, he probably wouldnt have signed the franchise tender and they would be in continuous talks.

heres my guess

the patriots approached Cassel about a 2-3 year deal to be a backup. He said thanks, but no thanks. Cassel knows he can start and teams want him to start. signing the franchise tender puts pressure on the patriots to give him more money or trade him.

Please explain why you tag Cassel and not trade him? Espn and others are saying Cassel stays for a year. If Brady is healthy after 4 games does he then start? 14 mil for a guy to hold a clip board. It makes no since unless you trade him even if Brady is not ready game 1.

I see what you're saying in principle, but there are many teams out there with lousy QBs, and just because they line things up as best they can beforehand, doesn't mean they won't make a significant move even past the dates you give. Look what the Jets and Miami did 3 weeks before the season started last year. While the pool is definitely narrowed as time goes by, I think BB is willing to wait to see what the deal is with Brady. Then he'll get the best deal he can for Cassel, which still might be pretty lucrative if other teams have had lousy OTA's and minicamps with what they've already got.

Classic risk vs. reward scenario. The risk is high for the Pats now because of Brady's knee. The value for Cassel now is probably as high as it is going to get. Assuming Cassel gets traded before any preseason games are played, there is precious little chance for him to improve his stock...and a whole mess of situations where his stock can nosedive:

a) Market dries up due to free agency, draft, teams getting comfortable with what they have in-house, etc.
b) Cassel gets hurt in mini-camp or falling off the solid gold toilet he can now afford.
c) Teams spend money on other needs and can't afford a big contract for Cassel.

Yup. No doubt about it. Cassel wouldn't question it, and no one else should. The last thing we need is a QB controversy. TB is the man as long as he can get on the field.

I do, however, expect him to be listed as "questionable" with a shoulder injury every week for the remainder of his career. :D

Please explain why you tag Cassel and not trade him? Espn and others are saying Cassel stays for a year. If Brady is healthy after 4 games does he then start? 14 mil for a guy to hold a clip board. It makes no since unless you trade him even if Brady is not ready game 1.
Brady is the better QB. If Cassel isn't traded (and that's a HUGE if) then Cassel is an expensive INSURANCE POLICY and nothing else.

Because in the same exact offence that cassel throws 21 touchdowns in, Brady throws 50.

Brady is the better QB. If Cassel isn't traded (and that's a HUGE if) then Cassel is an expensive INSURANCE POLICY and nothing else.

as long as that insurance policy does cost you the help you need on defense.

If Brady is healthy he plays. Cassel only stays as insurance. it's quite an expensive insurance policy. its going to depend on the health and confidence we have in Brady

Yet your paying him more then the guy who threw the 50 tds.

you dont want to pay him that much but to keep him you have to; anyway, thats why were going to trade him.

Yet your paying him more then the guy who threw the 50 tds.

Don't get caught up in the money or you'll miss the bigger picture. Also, don't buy that 21 touchdowns vs. 50 touchdowns argument, because it's misleading.

Last edited:
Stop getting caught up in the money. Also, don't buy that 21 touchdowns vs. 50 touchdowns argument, because it's misleading.

How is the tds misleading? Cassel is really the Hall of Fame qb not Brady?

all i know is that if we do trade cassel, the front office is confident about Brady's knee.

Stop getting caught up in the money. Also, don't buy that 21 touchdowns vs. 50 touchdowns argument, because it's misleading.

your right, if cassel played another full season he would put up much better numbers, but he still isnt brady.

all i know is that if we do trade cassel, the front office is confident about Brady's knee.

I wouldn't make that leap. Again, we've had this conversation, but take Brady's knee out of the equation. The Pats would hardly have enough money to sign their rookies right now w Cassel under contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back