PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN: Cassel has accepted the franchise tender [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to throw out something obvious, for speculation's sake:

This was a lightning fast tender and acceptance. This could (gonna have some fun with it) mean that a deal has already been agreed upon between the Patriots and the Chiefs, with Cassel's blessing.

Last edited:
The $14+M counted against the cap once we tagged him. The only change now is that if we find no market whatsoever for him or can't trade him because he won't go, we can't withdraw the tender.

I'm with you and patsox on this. The only surprise to me was that it took Cassel this long to sign the tender. You are spot on that the only difference now is that the worst case scenario for Cassel is $15M on his tax return for 2009.

From a process perspective, this means that Cassel won't be a free agent on Feb 27th and other teams can't sign him to an offer sheet (sending the Pats two 1st round draft picks). But here is the thing...nobody with an ounce of sense ever thought that was going to happen anyway! The only reasonable way for Cassel to leave town was through a trade and Cassel would need to sign the tender to make that happen.

Cassel knows this. The Pats know this. The other 31 teams know this. Not sure why so many people (even in the media) are struggling to grasp the concept. Now the game begins. Cassel has removed all risk for him from the equation. The Pats have all the risk now and will have to eat $15M on the cap if they can't work out a trade. Good for Cassel and now the Pats and Cassel's agent really need to start working the phones.

Cassel knows this. The Pats know this. The other 31 teams know this. Not sure why so many people (even in the media) are struggling to grasp the concept. Now the game begins. Cassel has removed all risk for him from the equation.

Exactly - but the risk for the Pats has not changed as BelichickFan stated, the Patriots had to earmark that 14+ milli whether he signed it or not. So the Pats took the risk the moment they franchised him.

Two things happened today:
1) Matt Cassel secured his financial future.
2) The Patriots now control where Matt Cassel lands and any possibility of him ending up in a Jets uniform is gone.

Last edited:
Re: Report: Cassel has accepted the franchise tender (merged)

Isnt this a new front office?

I'd guess that the same guy is behind these decisions as since 2000.

I'm with you and patsox on this. The only surprise to me was that it took Cassel this long to sign the tender. You are spot on that the only difference now is that the worst case scenario for Cassel is $15M on his tax return for 2009.

From a process perspective, this means that Cassel won't be a free agent on Feb 27th and other teams can't sign him to an offer sheet (sending the Pats two 1st round draft picks). But here is the thing...nobody with an ounce of sense ever thought that was going to happen anyway! The only reasonable way for Cassel to leave town was through a trade and Cassel would need to sign the tender to make that happen.

Cassel knows this. The Pats know this. The other 31 teams know this. Not sure why so many people (even in the media) are struggling to grasp the concept. Now the game begins. Cassel has removed all risk for him from the equation. The Pats have all the risk now and will have to eat $15M on the cap if they can't work out a trade. Good for Cassel and now the Pats and Cassel's agent really need to start working the phones.

Also, this opens the door to the possibility of getting MORE than just 2 first round draft picks. And, before people come after me with clothes that tie in the back, let's note that I'm just pointing out the impact of the signing, and not making any claims.

I'm officially worried about Brady for next year.

Sorry..... just saying. :(

This was a lightning fast tender and acceptance. This could (gonna have some fun with it) mean that a deal has already been agreed upon between the Patriots and the Chiefs, with Cassel's blessing.

Possibility but don't you think the terms of the agreement (aka draft picks) couldn't yet be finalized since the combine hasn't even occurred yet? I mean, I imagine both teams want to fully evaluate the rookies before determining compensation for Cassel. Unless the trade wouldn't include draft picks from this year (or at least not 1st round picks).

I was thinking along the same lines. Not necessarily with KC, but with someone.

Possibility but don't you think the terms of the agreement (aka draft picks) couldn't yet be finalized since the combine hasn't even occurred yet? I mean, I imagine both teams want to fully evaluate the rookies before determining compensation for Cassel. Unless the trade wouldn't include draft picks from this year (or at least not 1st round picks).

Nah... it could be done already. New England get the #3 in exchange for Cassel, or for Cassel and the Patriots pick. New England gets the Chiefs second round pick and a first next year... something like that could already be done.

This is the most interesting offseason I've had in an NFL offseason prior to the draft in years.

Because Cassel signed the tender ? We knew they'd Franchise him and his signing it was out of the Patriots' hands, it was his choice. This says nothing about Brady.

I don't see the logic. Why would Matt Cassel accepting a $14 million check have anything to do with Tom Brady's health? The decision made today was made by Matt Cassel and not the New England Patriots.

As stated above, if anything, this expedites the tag and trade process.

Exactly - but the risk for the Pats has not changed as BelichickFan stated, the Patriots had to earmark that 14+ milli whether he signed it or not. So the Pats took the risk the moment they franchised him.

True, except the Patriots could remove the tag at any time until Cassel signed the tender. The risk I was referring to was having to carry two QBs at a $29M cap charge total. The only reason why I call this a risk is because I'm assuming that they don't want to do that.

I was thinking along the same lines. Not necessarily with KC, but with someone.

Well, I looked at the former Patriots and ruled out Denver because of Cutler. I would imagine that for anyone else to have a deal in place already, the deal is either a whopper in favor of the Patriots, or someone found naked pictures of BB with Myra.

Nah... it could be done already. New England get the #3 in exchange for Cassel, or for Cassel and the Patriots pick. New England gets the Chiefs second round pick and a first next year... something like that could already be done.

This is the most interesting offseason I've had in an NFL offseason prior to the draft in years.

The deal could be in place - but we would have to wait until Feb 27th to announce it, right?

But I do agree - this just gets the process moving and makes it more likely he is traded sooner than later once the free agency and trading period begins.

Well, I looked at the former Patriots and ruled out Denver because of Cutler. I would imagine that for anyone else to have a deal in place already, the deal is either a whopper in favor of the Patriots, or someone found naked pictures of BB with Myra.

Barf!.............

Maybe Minn. or Carolina or someplace like that. But yes, KC seems most logical.

The deal could be in place - but we would have to wait until Feb 27th to announce it, right?

But I do agree - this just gets the process moving and makes it more likely he is traded sooner than later once the free agency and trading period begins.

Correct. Cassel signing the tender takes "free agency" out of the equation. He is now under contract for 2009 and the Pats have to wait until the 2009 league year starts to trade him since the 2008 trading deadline is long since passed.

I don't know if it's the Chiefs or not, but I always thought the Pats would have something worked out with Cassel behind the scenes in order to maximize both their chances of doing well next year. It's a win/win for both. The team gets their insurance for Brady and Cassel gets his money. Now they can sit back and figure out over the next couple of months if Brady is going to be ready or not. If he is great - they'll either take a tentative deal they already have worked out (with Cassel's blessing) with someone, or if they need Cassel, they'll get him ready to play, perhaps with the idea that they'll trade him early in the season (when is the deadline?) once Brady returns to form. The cap space problem is what it is. BB isn't going into the season without a good QB and he wasn't going to let Cassel walk. Now they have time to let the chips fall where they may.

From my understanding of the complex rules, this offers Cassel a little less risk, but is not a major factor in changing the ultimate outcome.

He gives up the opportunity to negotiate directly with any team, come Feb 27, by signing the tender. He is under contract, like any other player. Without signing the tender, Cassel is free to negotiate with any team to seek the highest bidder and best situation.

However, he still has some control, because he can refuse to negotiate a long-term extension with any team he doesn't like, should he, I don't know, sign Archie Manning as his advisor. So, while he loses some flexibility, he still has some ultimate control. But, worst case he now has a guaranteed $14.7mm. You can pee on his leg, but you can't take that guarantee away.

The Patriots now know that, unless they trade him, they owe him the full $14.7mm. However, their ability to trade him is unchanged.

I'm so very tempted to go to a chiefs board and plant the rumor, just to see the panicked posts.

Then, if it did come true, I could read them again and watch all the changes of heart. Hmmm..... am I feeling trollish enough to do this tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back