PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN: Bill Belichick has the NFL’s least diverse coaching staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
F ESPN. Someone should should post the timeline from 2000 to now of underrepresented groups with the Pats. Those data are pretty crucial. Post it in every thread online where it is discussed...
People deny the idea gas law (8th grade science), you think posting historical facts will make a difference?

People believe what they want to believe now a days, I dont think it would make a difference

It's a little misleading though, to compare it to the general population, when nearly 70% of NFL players are African-American. The disparity gets even worse when you compare that to the diversity rate for execs and owners.

Because of your post I decided to look at the typical path of the NFL Head Coach.

Out of the 8 Head Coaches I looked at only 1 had NFL player experience which was Tony Dungy. Bill Walsh, Mike Holmgren, Mike Tomlin, Dennis Green, BB, Bill Parcells and Marvin Lewis all played and Coached at the College level but never played in the NFL. (Mike Holmgren was drafted but did not play)

So I don't think we can compare the diversity of NFL players to NFL coaches rather I think we would have to compare the disparity at a college level.

Side Note: Tony Dungy is an interesting guy. For example, his father was one of the Tuskegee Airmen who fought in WWII. Tony once threw and caught an interception in the same game while playing with the Steelers.

Anyways food for thought.

Because of your post I decided to look at the typical path of the NFL Head Coach.

Out of the 8 Head Coaches I looked at only 1 had NFL player experience which was Tony Dungy. Bill Walsh, Mike Holmgren, Mike Tomlin, Dennis Green, BB, Bill Parcells and Marvin Lewis all played and Coached at the College level but never played in the NFL. (Mike Holmgren was drafted but did not play)

So I don't think we can compare the diversity of NFL players to NFL coaches rather I think we would have to compare the disparity at a college level.

Side Note: Tony Dungy is an interesting guy. For example, his father was one of the Tuskegee Airmen who fought in WWII. Tony once threw and caught an interception in the same game while playing with the Steelers.

Anyways food for thought.

That is complete silly and should not be entertained or defended

BREAKING NEWS: Commissioner ****dell has taken away the Patriots 2017 1st Rounder and suspended Belichick for the season due to having the least diverse coaching staff. Commissioner states, "It is for the integrity of the game."

The NFL is a classic "good ole boys" club where rich white men hook up their other rich white male friends and it's hard for black men to get into those circles. That's just the reality of the situation. This is why the same terrible coaches keep getting recycled back into the league.
Like Lovie Smith and Hue Jackson?

It was the same crap people slung at the Celtics in the 80s.

I remember Red was asked by a reporter why he had so many white players he said, "Because they're good.".
Lol the guy who hired the first black coach and who had the first court with no white players on the floor gimme a ****ing break that should be media credential losing comments.

Lol the guy who hired the first black coach and who had the first court with no white players on the floor gimme a ****ing break that should be media credential losing comments.

Growing up a Jewish kid in Brooklyn enabled Red to learn bigotry, antisemitism and racism first hand.

That primarily is because the country's population wasn't as diverse then as it is now, including as recently as the '70s.

I was just gonna flag you with a "disagree" but I'll say it out in the open, that this isn't true, and quite frankly bullsh*** There was plenty of diversity back in the 50's and 60's, but minorities had to contend with open discrimination tolerated (if not legal) not to mention segregation was an accepted fact of life.

Felt I should point that out

J
It was the same crap people slung at the Celtics in the 80s.

I remember Red was asked by a reporter why he had so many white players he said, "Because they're good.".
Yeah, same team and coach with the first black draft choice in the NBA, the first black starting five and the first black head coach. Auerbach and Belichick share many qualities. Color-blindness is only one of them. Even affording this attention is embarrassing. Romeo Crennel says hello...

I was just gonna flag you with a "disagree" but I'll say it out in the open, that this isn't true, and quite frankly bullsh*** There was plenty of diversity back in the 50's and 60's, but minorities had to contend with open discrimination tolerated (if not legal) not to mention segregation was an accepted fact of life.

Absolutely correct.

J

Yeah, same team and coach with the first black draft choice in the NBA, the first black starting five and the first black head coach. Auerbach and Belichick share many qualities. Color-blindness is only one of them. Even affording this attention is embarrassing. Romeo Crennel says hello...

Damn it Jackson. I just posted this and now have to delete it because you were first. haha

Yes, it is true and I do not appreciate your "frankly ********" attitude about something you either haven't thought through or intentionally are misinterpreting. This purely is a matter of statistical demographics -- not discriminatory racial attitudes, which you appear to be knee-jerk lathered up about.

The country's population simply was not AS diverse in the 1950s-'70s as it is now IN TERMS OF OVERALL MINORITY PERCENTAGES. African-American, Asian and Latino populations have grown significantly in proportion to Caucasians SINCE THAT TIME FRAME. Consequently, it stands to reason how/why cultural manifestations in the arts and media reflected America's population makeup THEN and are different NOW. That's all my post was about. Not that the country didn't have "plenty of diversity" then, just that it has much more now and we're seeing it expressed accordingly.

Last edited:
Yes, it is true and I do not appreciate your "frankly ********" attitude about something you either haven't thought through or intentionally are misinterpreting. This purely is a matter of statistical demographics -- not discriminatory racial attitudes, which you appear to be knee-jerk lathered up about.

The country's population simply was not AS diverse in the 1950s-'70s as it is now IN TERMS OF OVERALL MINORITY PERCENTAGES. African-American, Asian and Latino populations have grown significantly in proportion to Caucasians SINCE THAT TIME FRAME. Consequently, it stands to reason how/why cultural manifestations in the arts and media reflected America's population makeup THEN and are different NOW. That's all my post was about. Not that the country didn't have "plenty of diversity" then, just that it has much more now and we're seeing it expressed accordingly.

Yes and no. The black population has not changed all that much percentage wise over the last hundred years but the minority population has. Biggest growth coming from the hispanic population.

So in terms of diversity within the media, government, sports etc... there was not a good balance in the 1960's or 70's. I haven't looked into it yet but suspect there are many reasons for why that was. Good ole boy networks (not in a racist sense), lack of media outlets (as we only had 3 channels etc..), segregation de facto and of course racism.

With the recent additions of cable TV, internet and all the other social media outlets things have changed.
The problem for me is that as a white guy I get tired of everything and everyone being "racists". It's as if the boy who originally cried wolf to his town now has an iPhone and has internet access to the world.

I do know that racism exists and have seen it first hand including as a white guy living in Asia. I've seen it in the Army and as a manager. I once was asked, "why did you hire the razorback?" and have heard "why are you hiring a black guy?", so although rare, in my experience, it definitely exists.

Complicated discussion.

upload_2016-7-23_19-17-24.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes