Welcome to PatsFans.com

ESPN: Bengals reject Redskins' offer of 2008 1st, 2009 1st (cond.) for Johnson

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by pats1, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3358557

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  2. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +209 / 4 / -5

Dan Snyder just can't stop himself, can he? :rofl:

Seriously, though, I'm not sure who comes off looking most foolish--Ocho Stinko for putting Cincy in this position, Cincy for letting things devolve and for not taking the offer, or the Redskins for making the offer. . . .
  3. primetime

primetime Rookie

Ratings:
    +128 / 20 / -8

#18 Jersey

Cincy. They're going to regret this in the long run, I think. He's a heck of a football player but he's a turd.
  4. dhamz

dhamz Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Cincy takes an 8 million plus cap hit if they deal Johnson so it is unlikely to happen.
  5. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +603 / 6 / -0

To me, the interesting thing is that somebody chose to tell Mortensen about this. I have to assume that "somebody" is the Bengals brass. Maybe they're following CJ's lead and doing their player-team communication through the media?
  6. tombonneau

tombonneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Good to see Snynder still hasn't figured out how to build a football team. You might be able to mortgage draft picks for stars and make the playoffs, but you'll never win a Super Bowl that way. They need only look at their NFC rival whose killer 07 draft paved the way for their Lombardi.
  7. mike100915

mike100915 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I never actually believed them when they said they wouldn't get rid of Chad Johnson. But now I am a believer. That's a really good offer for Chad. I know the cap hit they would take, but the possibilty for 2 #1's for he is a great offer. I think the Bengals are dumb for not doing it. Yes, he is a great player, but he's will be a MAJOR distraction on that team. This could be worse then TO in Philly.
  8. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +883 / 46 / -48

Disable Jersey

It's things like this that have earned that team the apt nickname "The Bungles".
  9. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +509 / 5 / -1

I don't know if trades are covered by this, but the Bengals can spread the cap hit if they cut him over two seasons that would make his cap hit be about the same as if they kept him. All they have to do is carry the full the cap hit until June 1st which I think they can do.

Now I don't know if trades are covered by this and a cap expert like Miguel would probably have to answer that.
  10. PatsGuy

PatsGuy Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Bingo That's the real issue
  11. dhamz

dhamz Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I don't believe it applies to trades since the provision was put in place as a way for veteran players to be freed before June 1 when the market dries up.

I recall reading that unless they wait until after June 1, any johnson trade hits 8m on the 2008 cap.

Even with the spread after June 1, dead $ equal to the cost of a pro bowl WR is still a very high cost.
  12. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +509 / 5 / -1

Except if it equals his cap hit for both those years, what's the difference especially if you can get two first round picks for a 30 year old WR who may never play a down with you anyway? And at the very least he will be a negative force to an already shaky clubhouse where fellow players have already come out in his support. Sometimes you gotta cut your losses.
  13. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,028 / 25 / -45

No Jersey Selected

Yeah... what he said.
  14. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

While Chad Johnson is much better than the average WR,I think he is by far the most overated WR in the league.

Has he ever been a huge factor when the Bengals have played NE? -I don't remember any big games from him.

Cincinnati is an idiot FO for rejecting that offer on a guy that does not want to be there and certainly is not worth what was offered
  15. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,028 / 25 / -45

No Jersey Selected

Yeah. The 8 million dollar cap hit would be worth it to get rid of an unhappy drama queen receiver and also rebuild the team with some damn good draft picks. I can see why Cincy didn't do this, but I also think they should have swallowed their pride and pulled the trigger when presented with this golden opportunity.
  16. Dino 6 Rings

Dino 6 Rings Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

As a Steelers fan, I'm going to spend the season laughing as Chad walks up and down the sidelines not playing. Although it would be fun to see him get his teeth knocked out again.

Redskins were crazy to offer that much. Where will chad play in the 09 season, that's the question.
  17. Gumby

Gumby Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#11 Jersey

nothing is ever so simple. Still could be the redskins.

imagine if you will that the Redskins want to make CJ more upset; to make him a poison pill for cincy and get cincy to be desperate. They leak to Mortensen what they were willing to give and then CJ and his agent dream about all the $ that Snyder has overpaid to every other acquisition. CJ becomes more intransigent; and Redskins may actually end up with a better deal than what was put on the table so far.
  18. castlelong1

castlelong1 Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Bad move by the Bengals.

When Chad gets worse it will be more obvious they HAVE to trade Chad Johnson. This is the high water mark for offers.
  19. PatsFanJess

PatsFanJess Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

IMO Chad is a great route runner. I agree with you though that Cincy's FO sucks and is shooting themselves in the foot not trading Chad. Better off taking that cap hit.
  20. bakes781

bakes781 Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

He may just come back with an offer of a third 1st round pick in 2010 :singing: That is if they haven't already traded that away for a bag of chips. :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.