PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN bashes (lightly) the NFL?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdangle

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Article Linked Here

There was a <gulp> ESPN article today that said what I had speculated- which was that the new ballhandling rules undermine the NFL's ruling on TB12. The only logical reason I can think of doing that BEFORE announcing the ruling on the appeal is to grease the skids and show some level of justification (other than stupidity, revenge, ego and thirst for being a 24x7 news article) for the reduction in the suspension.

Yes, I also think ESPN being allowed to jump in on this is Wery Wery Interwesting. You know they had to run this story up the NFL flagpole first.

1. Seems like they introduce twist on the new narrative, its now "running a scheme to deflate footballs", and TB was guilty of being "'at least generally aware' of the deflation scheme". So now it's a scheme.

2. Obviously this is a NFL orchestrated message. It's actually quite funny, in every enumerated paragraph where the NFL is at fault, TB is thrown under the bus with a "Brady was punished...", or "Brady's guilt.." etc. Still, it's an NFL sanctioned article, so we should examine it closer.

Summary: The NFL meatheads are concocting/conceding the one game evidence is garbage, but.... if they only had these stronger standards in place they would have caught NE in it's dastardly scheme (and I think they say that almost verbatim in the article too, haha), and they will next time. Keep the TB smear on going, of course. They will instead now use conspiracy theory logic to back any case for punishment, as they also read article comments, and that's all that's left for those that still believe them. That's my Cliff Notes at least.

Conclusion: NFL drops charges against TB. Says these new important standards were not in place. NE draft penalty remains as proof the caught NE doing something wrong in this "scheme" of some kind. Tops it off by throwing a molatov ****tail of blame under the bus singeing Wells, The Refs, TB, NE, stadium security, everyone really, and shockingly, even blaming themselves a little (for outdated lax rules, which they have now addressed).

I guess by slinging so much mud, after TB is at 0 games, the NFL hopes to deflect much of the discussion back to, the procedure.

So yes, I find this ESPN very interesting. I'd invite others to try and read the tea leaves of this rare sighting as well.

Last edited:
The article is definitely suspicious although it still written in a tone that considers Brady was guilty but because his deflation "scheme" was so well constructed they (the NFL) will never be able to prove this in court.

They could have written that because the NFL had no clue about the effects of weather on a football they blindly created this nightmare and that Kensil and his cronies acted irrationally in their childish pursuit of finally bringing down the greatest team in NFL history.

The NFL* is way ahead of this. I'm sure the NFL* hopes these suspicions of this ongoing "scheme" will more than justify all of the sting planning and other anti-Pats communications found on the NFL* front office types' cell phones during discovery.

The article is definitely suspicious although it still written in a tone that considers Brady was guilty but because his deflation "scheme" was so well constructed they (the NFL) will never be able to prove this in court.

They could have written that because the NFL had no clue about the effects of weather on a football they blindly created this nightmare and that Kensil and his cronies acted irrationally in their childish pursuit of finally bringing down the greatest team in NFL history.

What scheme would that be? One that allowed him to guess ahead of time which gauge they were going to use? One that allowed him to predict the weather? The galactic stupidity in this whole thing is beyond sad at this point.

If y
Article Linked Here

Yes, I also think ESPN being allowed to jump in on this is Wery Wery Interwesting. You know they had to run this story up the NFL flagpole first.

1. Seems like they introduce twist on the new narrative, its now "running a scheme to deflate footballs", and TB was guilty of being "'at least generally aware' of the deflation scheme". So now it's a scheme.

2. Obviously this is a NFL orchestrated message. It's actually quite funny, in every enumerated paragraph where the NFL is at fault, TB is thrown under the bus with a "Brady was punished...", or "Brady's guilt.." etc. Still, it's an NFL sanctioned article, so we should examine it closer.

Summary: The NFL meatheads are concocting/conceding the one game evidence is garbage, but.... if they only had these stronger standards in place they would have caught NE in it's dastardly scheme (and I think they say that almost verbatim in the article too, haha), and they will next time. Keep the TB smear on going, of course. They will instead now use conspiracy theory logic to back any case for punishment, as they also read article comments, and that's all that's left for those that still believe them. That's my Cliff Notes at least.

Conclusion: NFL drops charges against TB. Says these new important standards were not in place. NE draft penalty remains as proof the caught NE doing something wrong in this "scheme" of some kind. Tops it off by throwing a molatov ****tail of blame under the bus singeing Wells, The Refs, TB, NE, stadium security, everyone really, and shockingly, even blaming themselves a little (for outdated lax rules, which they have now addressed).

I guess by slinging so much mud, after TB is at 0 games, the NFL hopes to deflect much of the discussion back to, the procedure.

So yes, I find this ESPN very interesting. I'd invite others to try and read the tea leaves of this rare sighting as well.[/QUOTE
Article Linked Here

So yes, I find this ESPN very interesting. I'd invite others to try and read the tea leaves of this rare sighting as well.
If your scenario comes to pass then what could be the possible excuse for the fine and the picks? Wouldn't the picks and the dough have to be returned?

If y

If your scenario comes to pass then what could be the possible excuse for the fine and the picks? Wouldn't the picks and the dough have to be returned?
Not when you've gone down the Rabbit Hole at NFL Headquarters...or to mangle another literary reference, "...we're not in Kansas anymore."

If y

The justification would be that Kraft didn't appeal. By not appealing, he forfeit the opportunity for the Pats' team punishment to get reevaluated. Goodell could outright say "If the Pats had appealed, based on what I know now, I would have been forced to vacate their suspension. But since they didn't (and since I still think they're guilty, even if I can't meet the minimal burden of proof that's required), the punishment stands". And that would be that.

Maybe Goodie should delegate some of these things (trying to squash rumors, trying to turn the tide back again Brady, making new rules) to the hundred or so VPs he has working for him. I mean, it has to be hard work to make up arbitrary rules or even harder to find a way out of this mess without having Brady win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back