PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN asked coaches to call timeouts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah...quid pro quo more likely. Fisher would have likely complied if it wouldn't have made him look stupid. Del Rio will probably be unemployed at the end of this season and he will need the talking heads to promote him as some other suckers logical next HC...or he will be looking for a talking head job of his own with one of the letter networks...

Looks like the Buffalo Wild Wings commercial came to life.

Why is Fischer talking about this publicly? Feeling guilty for going for it on 4th down? Can't handle the heat because somebody implied he was running up the score? If that is the case and he felt that way, he could have punted or taken a knee.

If Fischer is so concerned about making sure he is perceived to be a stand up guy (i.e., doesn't run up the score), then he should also consider that stand up guys don't throw their organization (the NFL) and a major business partner (espn) under the bus the moment he is asked a mildly uncomfortable question.

Why is Fischer talking about this publicly? Feeling guilty for going for it on 4th down? Can't handle the heat because somebody implied he was running up the score? If that is the case and he felt that way, he could have punted or taken a knee.

If Fischer is so concerned about making sure he is perceived to be a stand up guy (i.e., doesn't run up the score), then he should also consider that stand up guys don't throw their organization (the NFL) and a major business partner (espn) under the bus the moment he is asked a mildly uncomfortable question.

I don't agree at all. I'm a big supporter of whistle blowers in any industry. If you think it's wrong, report it. To not do so is wrong, not the other way around.

I don't agree at all. I'm a big supporter of whistle blowers in any industry. If you think it's wrong, report it. To not do so is wrong, not the other way around.
In my opinion this had nothing to do with blowing the whistle, and appears to have everything to do with saving face.

If something is incorrect, you discuss it with your boss, or his boss. Have a problem with a co-worker, then discuss it with your supervisor rather than letting the entire company know about it. Going public should be a last option; Fischer chose to make it his first option.

To me this is like a player having a disagreement with his position coach or coordinator, and rather than choosing to talk about it with that coach, or the head coach, he decides to instead talk about with the media in a post-game press conference.

Perhaps we agree to disagree, but I don't think that's the best way to handle things. Being on the competition committee Fischer certainly not only knows who he can discuss this with, but in addition those people are going to take the time to speak with him about it.

Any coach caught taking an unnecessary timeout because freaking ESPN asked them to should be taken out into the street, beaten publicly, then handed his pink slip.

scumbags....

Any coach caught taking an unnecessary timeout because freaking ESPN asked them to should be taken out into the street, beaten publicly, then handed his pink slip.

Can you them asking The Hoodie this? :pigsfly:

Next thing you'll know, they'll be asking for players to stop and pose for glamour shots on breakaway touchdowns.

Next thing you'll know, they'll be asking for players to stop and pose for glamour shots on breakaway touchdowns.

Shhh... you didn't hear this from me, but I have it on good authority that ESPN was also caught filming all the offensive and defensive plays for the entire game.

In my opinion this had nothing to do with blowing the whistle, and appears to have everything to do with saving face.

If something is incorrect, you discuss it with your boss, or his boss. Have a problem with a co-worker, then discuss it with your supervisor rather than letting the entire company know about it. Going public should be a last option; Fischer chose to make it his first option.

To me this is like a player having a disagreement with his position coach or coordinator, and rather than choosing to talk about it with that coach, or the head coach, he decides to instead talk about with the media in a post-game press conference.

Perhaps we agree to disagree, but I don't think that's the best way to handle things. Being on the competition committee Fischer certainly not only knows who he can discuss this with, but in addition those people are going to take the time to speak with him about it.

I agree in MOST industries, the process you outlined is the right way to do it. But let's assume Fisher spoke with NFL officials about this. What do you think they'd say?

my guess is something like, "This is an entertainment industry Jeff and ESPN is part of that equation...just roll with it please"

But it's also a game that is affected by "TV timeouts" all too often. And yeh, if I'm po'd and losing a game, these silly TO's will piss me off even more. So why not spill the beans to the public so they can give ESPN a hard time? ESPN is getting a tad too big for their britches, wouldn't you agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes