PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN Article: "Under the Hoodie" [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Espn Article: "Under the Hoodie"

"What do I have to sing?" Belichick asked. Ingraham said he'd come up with something. Another pause. "OK," Belichick finally said. "But it'll be my song." He decided on The Clovers' 1959 hit "Love Potion No. 9," rehearsed in a guest house and dabbled with props. Belichick got up on the stage, belted out the 2-minute tune, and swigged from a flask -- non-alcoholic, of course -- for effect. His three children were stunned.

"He brought down the whole house," Ingraham says. "He was so into it. Anyone who thinks this guy is cold, stiff, calculating, I wish they could've seen that performance. It's as human as we can be. He was up there on a stage, entertaining, smiling, not under the influence of anything but ginger ale. It was a fabulous moment that anyone who was there will never forget because this was the guy at his happiest, with his friends and family playing rock 'n' roll."

Last edited:

""I only met him for those couple of minutes," Salisbury says on the phone as he waits for a Patriots game to start on TV. "You know what? I just wish I had met him under different circumstances." His brush with Belichick came on a late Saturday afternoon in July 2006. Five-hundred drivers must have blown by the twisted, upside-down BMW on a patch of Route 95 just south of the Rhode Island border, Salisbury says. Not Belichick.

Salisbury and the coach, wearing a Super Bowl XXXVI visor and apparently on his way back from watching his son play lacrosse, were good samaritans.; Together, they helped an injured driver whose car shot across the highway, hit a drainage ditch and flipped on its roof.

And now Belichick was ready to take charge. "Hey, you have a head injury," he said to the driver. "Let's go lie down." Taking the wobbly man by the arm, he laid him in the bed of a truck, and held a beach towel full of ice to the man's bleeding head until rescue workers arrived. "He was very polite," Salisbury says. "He took control, but was still polite about it." Belichick almost escaped without being recognized, but the whole thing became too much for Salisbury, who let out a cry of "Hey! You're Bill Belichick!""

Last edited:

Good article but the writer totally missed the Jim Brown story where Belichick works with Jim Brown to help Black prison inmates.

Last edited:

"Doom" came from LT, the real LT, not Barkley.

Good article but the writer totally missed the Jim Brown story where Belichick works with Jim Brown to help Black prison inmates.

If Jim Brown respects the man, then chalk up one big respect mark.

You cannot BS Jim Brown. That's what I love about that guy. If he says it, and it has nothing to do with sexual misconduct, hehe, it's probably true.

Jim' big mistake was thinking that he could beat Mohammed Ali and Mohammed's own game. That pipe dream didn't last long.

Wow nice stuff.

I love the Big Dog story and also the couch story. Imagine if Belichick wrote a 1,000 page biography in 20 years after he's retired . . .

Thanks for the article. It's a great read. It's a shame that good stories like this will never see the light of day besides on a Pats fan board. But crap about how inhumane and 'evil' he is spreads like wildfire.

Last edited:

Wow nice stuff.

I love the Big Dog story and also the couch story. Imagine if Belichick wrote a 1,000 page biography in 20 years after he's retired . . .

man, THATS when we all will know who belicheck is....cuz dang, he just might be considered better then vince by that time...

Re: ESPN Article: "Under the Hoodie"

Personally I always like hearing the Wesleyan stories. I wonder when he donated the couches to Chi Psi? I can't remember them precisely, but I can say that the lounge was a disaster zone. Frats are not big deals at Wesleyan, except that they do throw the only real keg parties on campus, and that makes them fond memories all of us who attended.

Thanks for the article. It's a great read. It's a shame that good stories like this will never see the light of day besides on a Pats fan board. But crap about how inhumane and 'evil' he is spreads like wildfire.

It is front page on ESPN now.

There is nothing they can write that will convince me that this man is anything other than pure evil. ;)

It is front page on ESPN now.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

ESPN didn't bury it, wow. That is one helluva good article. As long as all of us in New England know that BB isn't evil, I'm sure he doesn't mind the rest of the world thinking he is. BB is a great coach and a GREAT human being, but we all already know this :)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

ESPN didn't bury it, wow. That is one helluva good article. As long as all of us in New England know that BB isn't evil, I'm sure he doesn't mind the rest of the world thinking he is. BB is a great coach and a GREAT human being, but we all already know this :)

iam more surprised ESPN wrote this than the content. maybe we need to forward to the writer the jim brown quotes.

That would be the Amer-I-Can Program, which focuses on poor juvenile offenders.. it is pretty successful. Met Jim Brown and BB at a presentation about this one night, and Jim Brown said something to the effect.. if Michael Jordan did 1 tenth of what BB did for people the world would be a different place. Got my pix taken with my all time football hero, Jim Brown, did not foresee the opportunity to have it taken with BB.

Wow, there are so many other great stories I read about just by reading the archives at allthingsbb. All about the Amer-I-Can stuff and this one story about he helped out a prisoners trying to win a prison football game. Great stuff.

First of all, this is a fine piece of writing, regardless of subject; scolding Merrill for missing the Jim Brown stuff is petty, especially considering that most scribes scribble from the finger tip, not the thoughtful distance this writer attempts.

It's one of very the best articles I've read on BB in years and it is notable that it didn't come from a local writer or even an established national NFL writer. Merrill's piece inadvertantly demostrates just how difficult it is for reporters close to the game to think and write free of the latest mindset. Either they are too defensive, as many locals become because they like the coach or recognize the fans prefer sympathetic press (unless you're an unstable, insecure hater who can't wait to drag down the coach of the home town team like he who I will not name), or writers find it impossible to remain impartial since everyone they talk to is part of the NFL so subconsciously they fall under the influence of this season's trend, like this year's that BB is a devious troll.

Thanks a bunch for posting this link. I wish we could read more football journalism on a par with Merrill's work here.

Last edited:

Was a really good article. Bottomline is the most genuine of "do-gooders" do so without desiring or seeking the spotlight. A certain camera savvy Saint out in HolierThan Thou, Indiana could learn a thing or two about real humility and being genuine from BB. Get the feeling BB doesn't like the Saint because the Saint is a self promoting self righteous phoney.
When I heard how BB has Lenny Clark come in to entertain the team by performing a roast of BB himself after a week of Spygate hell and the night before the Chargers game, that self effacing move told me all I needed to know about BB and his relationship with the team. And don't think for one second BB has forgotten the support he's gotten from us out here in Patriot nation since Spygate. He has not forgotten and we will be acknowledged when they win the SB.
BB is a good guy who despises the media and catches hell for it. If people ever realized the number of sleazy degenerates who fall under the "sports media" umbrella, the fact that BB keeps that crowd at arms length would make him a much more sympathetic figure across this country. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes