PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN article - don't get it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: ESPN article - don't get it....

I think it's part of the whole Schadenfreude concept, i.e. taking pleasure in other people's pain/suffering/failure.

Many fans who don't ally themselves with the Patriots obviously want to see us lose. Not many people can name who the 72Dolphins beat in the superbowl, but, if we ought to lose (football Gods forbid), the Giants would be remembered like the Dolphins are remembered for adding a 1 to the loss column for the 85 bears.

Overall, I like Chuck Klosterman. He's like a less-annoying Bill Simmons. A lot of people in the media might seem to have it out for the Patriots, but he doesn't make me upset in his rooting against the Patriots, because for a fan of another team, it could very well be more interesting to see the Patriots lose.

I think it's part of the whole Schadenfreude concept, i.e. taking pleasure in other people's pain/suffering/failure.

Many fans who don't ally themselves with the Patriots obviously want to see us lose. Not many people can name who the 72Dolphins beat in the superbowl, but, if we ought to lose (football Gods forbid), the Giants would be remembered like the Dolphins are remembered for adding a 1 to the loss column for the 85 bears.

Overall, I like Chuck Klosterman. He's like a less-annoying Bill Simmons. A lot of people in the media might seem to have it out for the Patriots, but he doesn't make me upset in his rooting against the Patriots, because for a fan of another team, it could very well be more interesting to see the Patriots lose.

It was a good article, pretty well written. I think he was pointing out the fact that life is great because of imperfection and (except for us Pats fans) perfection would be boring.

Have we finally come to the point where the media is actually asking the Patriots to lose for the good of the sport?

I really enjoy Klosterman's articles & more importantly his books. They're great. He's a better writer about basketball than about football though.

Great point about no-one remembers who the 72 Dolphins beat in the SB. That's a lot of what this covers.

It's a bit more subtle than what's up front. Unsure why this is the front page ESPN article. Apparently nothing is happening today. (And everyone in America hates tennis, so....)

Imperfection is what makes others seem more human. That being said, we've shown enough imperfection for me already in a few quarters... so let's just play 4 more good quarters and end the season on a W. :)

It was a good article, pretty well written. I think he was pointing out the fact that life is great because of imperfection and (except for us Pats fans) perfection would be boring.

Exactly what will our expectations be in the years following a perfect season. If you think things are bad now imagine when we lose our first game.

Another thing he was pointing out, which was quite obvious, is that if we lose this game the 2007 New England Patriots will be remembered more than if were to win this game.

Besides the conclusion, it actually makes a lot of sense. The pursuit of perfection is almost by definition self-defeating. We are generally measured by development and growth, not by how brutally efficient we carry out our tasks (unless you are a machine or assassin). We are remembered for seizing the moment, not for controlling events and bending them to your will. We are revered for being able to briefly rise above limitations and become more than was thought possible, not for coldly exploiting the limitations of others.

Perfection is not a "human" concept, which makes it at the same time both interesting and distasteful.

That being said, the Patriots have gotten to 18-0 not by being a perfect team...but by being a great team. They grow and get better. They have seized the moments when they arrive. And they have risen above their own limitations to become more as a unit than they ever could be individually.

On February 3rd at about 10pm, regardless of the outcome, the Patriots will not be perfect. They will be one more step along a path of achieving goals and setting new ones. Along the way, the rest of the league will set their sights higher. "Perfection" today would really just be the baseline for tomorrow.

Rooting for the Giants to stop "perfection" is like cheering for mediocrity because it makes you feel more comfortable. Not only is that misguided, but it is sad. Root for the Giants to take the next step and achieve what everyone told them is beyond their reach. I'll do the same for my imperfect, but still lovable, Pats.

Exactly what will our expectations be in the years following a perfect season. If you think things are bad now imagine when we lose our first game.

Another thing he was pointing out, which was quite obvious, is that if we lose this game the 2007 New England Patriots will be remembered more than if were to win this game.

I don't know if I agree with the part about the Pats being remembered more or less because there are some real superstars on the team, but an upset in this game would be, at this point a larger story, and perhaps a more exciting story than the Pats completing the perfect season. I also think there is an element of Jared Leto's character getting pulverized by Edward Norton in Fight Club.

Just like the '42 Bears.:rolleyes:

Have we finally come to the point where the media is actually asking the Patriots to lose for the good of the sport?

Most likely.

The purpose of playing football games is to win them. Whether people like you for doing so, no matter how you do it, is totally irrelevant.

It's too bad this "sportswriter" has such a difficult time coming to this realization.

This column vaguely reminds me of the columns Stan Fleischer used to write in the hockey news when going off on one of his tangents about the Bruins, who had invariably beaten the Rangers again. In that circumstance, however, Fleischer was much more over the top, often invoking Hegel and the like.

This guy, writing this article, however, seems to be much more concerned about "feelings". Truly, if this column were a movie, it would have to be called a chick flick.

This, apparently, is going to be the longest week in the history of mankind.

Ugh.

I think he's wrong about this.

To me the article is pseudo-intellectual claptrap, especially the way he analylzes the "perfection" of Tom & Giselle, & transfers this to he team. The Pats are far from perfect, and never will be. That's what makes them so interesting, and such a challenge to the rest of the league.

He could have saved a lot of verbiage by saying, win or lose, this game will never be forgotten. We'll lose someday. Let it be next year or the year after!

Klosterman's OK. He was just born at a bad time--he never seems to have any passionate beliefs about anything, so what comes out a lot of times is.....this.

But check out some of his other stuff--only eating McNuggets for a week (month? I forget_) Billy Joel interview, etc. He's pretty good there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes