PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN afraid of getting sued??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kraft should hire Bruschi away from ESPN. Or at least put him on CSN.

500 million sounds about right.

tumblr_inline_mn28tnWmeN1qz4rgp.jpg

What I find even more interesting is how the NFL utilizes only ESPN as their disseminator of erroneous information. Interesting how Roger's minions conveniently bypass their own network when it comes to releasing bogus information to the masses. Experts in drama and and instant opinions, it is easy to understand why ESPN has become the NFL's "useful idiots".........they can't help themselves. And considering ESPN has been unable or unwilling to ween themselves from their daily feedings of unsubstantiated NFL swill, the NFL feels no threat to their routine of deceit. No push back by ESPN reporters. No public unveiling of the identities of duplicitous sources. Just status quo.
The next public conversation has to be about this "master-servant " relationship that exists between these two. I would like to see other media outlets start calling attention to this...but of course the NFL tentacles reach in many directions. Lets get the local boys to beat this drum. I have been asking Reiss to address his networks duplicitous behavior...in chats, mailbags, twitter.....but nothing. I suggest we all start pushing back.
PS....Big tip of the cap to Tommy Curran......the dude is a pitbull. Stay strong TC......now go attack ESPN

Last edited:
Two things NFL* fans everywhere would cheer.

1) The current NFL* Omissioner being fired.

2) ESPN being sued by the Pats.
I for one would not be able to control myself. i would be laughing my ass off for years. I absolutely hate hate hate espn with a burning hot passion.

ESPN is awful and deserves to be bashed. But I can't see them fearing a lawsuit. They are super wealthy and owned by another super wealthy company.

However, they are a disgrace. Should have corrected the error the minute they knew the report was false. They are cowards or dishonest or both for letting this drag on.

well, I find it hard to believe the pats would sue espn, but I did notice 'damage to our brand' about 10x in that e-mail correspondence.
at the very least they were waving the stick

Great job by the Pats UNDERLINGS preparing the battlefield vs ESPN.
The BIG question is will General Kraft fight or retreat?

Yep and bundle ABC, NBC, CBS, MSNBC and CNN right there with them.

Only the Cartoon Network is fair and balanced :p
funny how some just can't see how ALL the news is slanted..I guess if you believe everything a certain outlet is preaching, you don't see it as slant. Amusing how some from one political side always sceam Fox news while the news stations they watch do the exact same thing. More interesting is not HOW stories are covered, but WHAT stories are not covered by the so called top news outlets.

If you really want to hurt espn, support Verizon on their lawsuit with ESPN. If Verizon wins, the loss of income from forced bundling will severely damage ESPN.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...sh-espn-with-bad-monday-night-football-games/

Did the NFL punish ESPN with bad ‘Monday Night Football’ games?
"And while NFL schedulers have historically worked to spread marquee matchups among its TV partners, the upcoming MNF schedule is viewed as one pointedly lacking in high-interest games, with multiple sources inside ESPN’s Bristol, Conn., headquarters believing the “terrible” schedule is “pay back for Simmons and Olbermann,” as one source put it."

"And while NFL schedulers have historically worked to spread marquee matchups among its TV partners, the upcoming MNF schedule is viewed as one pointedly lacking in high-interest games, with multiple sources inside ESPN’s Bristol, Conn., headquarters believing the “terrible” schedule is “pay back for Simmons and Olbermann,” as one source put it."

The longer all this stuff gross on, the more it sounds like these organizations are run by middle school aged girls. The rate of decline in my interest is accelerating. Where did all the men go?

Actually, I think ESPN has a right to be afraid. I think the John Dennis leak on Friday that Mike Kensil was the source for Mort's story along with the emails released on the Wells Report in Context was a clear shot by Kraft to Goodell and the League that they may have a fairly strong defamation case if they choose to file it. If they do follow through and sue the league, ESPN could be co-defendants.

Actually, I think ESPN has a right to be afraid. I think the John Dennis leak on Friday that Mike Kensil was the source for Mort's story along with the emails released on the Wells Report in Context was a clear shot by Kraft to Goodell and the League that they may have a fairly strong defamation case if they choose to file it. If they do follow through and sue the league, ESPN could be co-defendants.

Remember the actual malice standard: to prove ESPN committed defamation, the Patriots would likely need to prove that Mortensen already knew (or strongly suspected) that the story was false at the time he sent that tweet.

Remember the actual malice standard: to prove ESPN committed defamation, the Patriots would likely need to prove that Mortensen already knew (or strongly suspected) that the story was false at the time he sent that tweet.
The guy who gave it to him has 1 NFL related like on Facebook and that is Jetsinsider. This is/was publicly viewable. He took a story from a man who anyone with the click of a mouse would be shown to be a fan of the Patriots rival.

The guy who gave it to him has 1 NFL related like on Facebook and that is Jetsinsider. This is/was publicly viewable. He took a story from a man who anyone with the click of a mouse would be shown to be a fan of the Patriots rival.

Because the Patriots are public figures, it does not suffice to show that Mort should have known the story was false. In general, mere incompetence is insufficient.

They would need to show that Mort either did know the story was false, or entertained serious doubts about its veracity.

If Mortensen/ESPN knew the report was false and didn't retract it, it may be considered malice. News sources have to retract stories all the time. Usually they bury it somewhere. But the Mortensen story has never been retracted.

If Mortensen/ESPN knew the report was false and didn't retract it, it may be considered malice. News sources have to retract stories all the time. Usually they bury it somewhere. But the Mortensen story has never been retracted.

I think that if they knew that before the Wells report came out, then, yes, that might constitute actual malice. (IANAL, though, so I can't be sure.) Remember, though, actual malice != malicious intent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes