Welcome to PatsFans.com

ESPN: 15 rule changes pass, 2 get voted down (defensive radio, WR movement)

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by pats1, Mar 29, 2006.

1. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2389062

Here's a list of the ones that did pass:

- Limited celebration

- Replay changes

- A rushing defensive player won't be allowed to forcibly hit a quarterback below the knees.

- Centers who snap on field goals, extra points and punts can not have a defender line up directly over him.

- Expanded the definition of a horse collar tackle.

- Other little changes for safety included trying to limit the number of re-kicks by giving the kicking team more chances to take penalties after kicks.

- The owners also prohibited kicking teams from loading up one side of the field on free kicks.

- In a vote of 29-3, owners allowed teams to keep 75 instead of 65 players on their roster in the first cutdown, which is annually the Tuesday after the third preseason weekend. The trade off was the NFL Europe exemptions that allowed teams to bring more players to camp expire at that time.

• The Bucs' recommendation to include all penalties for replay review was almost unanimously defeated.

• The Chiefs proposal to expand the playoffs from 12 to 14 was tabled to May, but it doesn't have the support of Tagliabue and the Committee and is expected to fail.

The Committee also completed a six-page clarification of the writing of the holding penalties that it hopes will bring uniformity to the calls and the coaching of offensive linemen.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  2. patsfan55

patsfan55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

what are the replay changes being made

i know i heard something about cutting back to 90 seconds, but what else?
  3. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

• Replay changes: Perhaps the biggest victory of the competition committee was the inclusion of down-by-contact plays on replay challenges. Last year, the Committee fell four votes short of getting down by contact plays included. This year, it passed, 27-5.

Pereira said there were 12 plays in 2005 that would have been overturned in a replay challenge on a lost fumble that was ruled down because the player had been downed after contact with a defensive player. If the defensive team wins the challenge, the ball would go to them at spot of the recovery. In 2004, about 13 change of possessions would have been made in favor of the defensive team that recovered.

One slight modification included in the rule change would shorten the time the referee has to review a play. The review time would go from 90 seconds to 60 seconds from the time the referee begins looking at the replay monitor. In reality, that's not much of a big deal. The average time an official reviews the play is one minute and seven seconds. The league is hoping to shorten the three and a half minutes of lost time during replay challenges.
  4. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +207 / 16 / -38

#50 Jersey

My comments are in red.

As for the holding clarification, damn, they needed 6 pages to clarify what holding is and what it isn't?
  5. PatsRI

PatsRI PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Anyone see any pattern here when it comes to which side of the ball is once again helped and which side is hurt? Rodney is not going to be happy once again.
  6. DaBruinz

Ratings:
    +207 / 16 / -38

#50 Jersey

Don't know if I agree with this totally. The clarification of the holding rules as well as the review of "Down by contact" fumbles actually is a benefit to the defense.
  7. flutie2phelan

flutie2phelan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Nothing there harmful to us.

I especially like 15 yards for touching the hem of the QB's skirt. Anything that protects #12 is welcome.

I wonder if the owners buy the line that the playoff officiating was acceptable?

8. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +133 / 10 / -8

Severe and lesser PI calls...

The most needed rule revision was not touched, That is the Pass Interference rule. There should be two types of pass interference penalties. just like the ftwo ace mask calls. The severe and obvious PI should be awarded at the spot of the foul, or on the one, if in the endzone and FD. The lesser and questionable PI call, should be five or ten yards, or half the distance to the goal, and a FD.

Its the arbitrary PI calls that so infuriated the fans, not any of the others...

The best safety changes they could make would be to outlaw the Alex Gibbs rollup crackback-block blocks...
  9. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

A free kick is any kick not from scrimmage. It can be a kickoff (onside or regular), safety kick (the punt that comes after a safety, which I think is the term you were looking for), or fair catch kick (which is a field goal attempt after a receiving team can elect to kick after a fair catch, in which the defense must stay 10 yards back).
  10. SoonerPatriot

SoonerPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Nothing on cameras on the goal line, something BB wants?
  11. dhamz

dhamz Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Unless they changed from what they were talking about prior to the meetings, the holding clarifications were supposed to reduce the number of holding penalties called.

That in no way is going to help the defense.
  12. OldEnglandPatriot

OldEnglandPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Good point about pass interference not being so much as sniffed at - and it's a game-changer, as we know from the Mile High mugging.

The clamping down on touchdown celebrations absolutely infuriates me. It's so petty. Isn't football (whisper this) a GAME?

It's also so arbitrary... why would using the ball as a prop (ILLEGAL) necessarily be any more inflamatory or taunting than doing a particularly provocative dance (LEGAL) close to a beaten defender?

And to hear Mike Pereira trying to justify it by talking about a highschool player making a throat-slitting gesture after sacking a QB is just maddening. As Rich Eisen put it, that's comparing apples and oranges.
  13. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

14. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

15. jeffro

jeffro Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Anyone think that allowing challenge of down by contact seems messy? I'm picturing things getting out of control when the ball gets pulled out after a play is over and all the players ignore the whistle.
  16. Brownfan80

Brownfan80 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Yeah, I'm confused by this as well.. I don't understand what is now challengeable.

When a player is down by contact, the play is over after the whistle blows. How can anything after it be reviewable? The play was over, whatever happened afterwards didn't actually exist. If the whistle blows and one guy stops, but the other doesnt how is that fair? The whistle no longer signals the end of a play?
  17. JJDChE

JJDChE Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I don't see any of the rules changes listed as 'progress'. For the most part, it's a step backwards.

The horse collar rule is complete BS, so ONE superstar WR got hurt on a "horse collar tackle" in the last however many years and now it has to be a rule? This is getting ridiclous.
  18. OldEnglandPatriot

OldEnglandPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Per the comment earlier about Bruschi crawling to a QB and pulling him down, that's still allowed. It's a 'forceful' hit below the knee that's outlawed, not grabbing.
  19. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +292 / 6 / -8

OEP, I noticed that difference, but it does still seem like little much, to make it illegal to basically fly into the legs of a QB, if that's the shot you have as a would-be tackler. In a vacuum I think I'd oppose this. But I think it helps the Pats more than hurts.

Of course, the rule is a reaction to Carson Palmer receiving Kimo-therapy early in the Steelers-Bengals game, and you always hate to see something like that. But how many flying-at-the-legs sacks will we miss seeing that don't mangle a star QB?

But from the homer point of view: New England gets pressure with the "credible threat" of sacks, not huge sack totals. On the other hand, until we're shown otherwise, Brady's as important to us as any QB is to their team anywhere. So I'd say over the years this one has to look like a net gain for the Pats (after all, we just threw out the post-season sackingest linebacker ever to play.)

PFnV
  20. DaBruinz

Ratings:
    +207 / 16 / -38

#50 Jersey

Then you aren't understanding the down by contact issues. The issues are what happens PRIOR to the player being ruled "down." Not after. There were several plays last year where a player fumbled the ball yet was ruled "down by contact" even though the ball actually came loose PRIOR to the player being down. This would have resulted in a turnover and change of possession.

It has NOTHING to do with what happens after the whistle blows.