Ernie Sims...Switch To Safety???

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here sees a team drafting Ernie Sims and turning him into the next breed of SS in the NFL?

I know we have other needs....but I definitely could see Belichick doing this and bringing an addd dimension o the position.

At just short of 6' Sims will struggle as a linebacker...and I'm sure some team will sign him and see alot of sacks and pressures. But the team that drafts him and tries him at safety will have a solid run defense to build into the future.

It sounds nice, but you'd need to take him in the first or early second rounds, a bit pricey for a position that already has decent depth on the roster.

Box_O_Rocks said:
It sounds nice, but you'd need to take him in the first or early second rounds, a bit pricey for a position that already has decent depth on the roster.

You'd also be willing to overlook his legal issues. IIRC, he has multiple arrests, or at least charges.

dryheat44 said:
You'd also be willing to overlook his legal issues. IIRC, he has multiple arrests, or at least charges.
I hadn't caught that, though I did catch that he had a worrisome concussion history. He wasn't what I've been shopping for so I hadn't paid him much mind.

He's not on my draft board.

Ernie Sims is no Michael Boulware, but he might be another Derrick Brooks, though. He's all over the place and will be as productive as Jonathan Vilma was his rookie season, however, on the weakside. I haven't seen BB convert any LB's into DB's so that's probably out of the question.

Simms gained something like 12 lbs for his proday so teams would look at him more at LB. He is at 234. I doubt he is playing Safety

Due to off-field issues Sims isn't on my draft board.......

Simms hasput on some pounds since the start of his senior season, and is probably now too large for the safety position. IMO, he won't be on the board by the time we pick (but Chad Greenway might).

Terna Nande is just like Sims, and will be available with our first third (probably). He's athletic, fast, and undersized, hes FANTASTIC in coverage.

Belichick's 1st round pick will be somebody he is convinced he cannot get in round 2 that fits his system perfectly...someone he knows will be gone no matter what shifting around he does.

There's enough Belichick type talent to grab 3 more players before round 3 ends...but this player will give his defense a chip on their shoulder that enables them to gamble on the line...cutting down the opposing QB's ability to decode the scheme and strike.

Although Lawson, Greenway, Carpenter and others are fine athletes...they don't allow for new twists and wrinkles in the defensive code.

Ernie Sims allows all of that and more because teams will go nuts when Belichick is actually in a 4-4 or a 2-4-5 where the QB is under intense pressure and the nickleback is driving him nuts.

Rodney Harrison gave Belichick some of this and we won the Super Bowl. But Belichick always had to add other things like Mcginest chipping the receiver Harrison was watching because Rodney needed help in that area. That delayed Willie's rush by at least a half a tick.

Ernie is a faster version of Rodney with greater athletic tools. Ernie won't be rushed and will be nurtured by Rodney. Ernie could actually come in as a Nickle SS instead of a Nickle DB...now that will drive the Colts banana's with their patented delayed receiver tactics.

I am sold on the fact it's Ernie Sims and then Belichick will grab a CB, WR and OT by the end of round 3, not in that order neccessarily. My only question is why are the experts ignoring all of this??? Don't they realize that Belichick will not risk pissing off Dillon by drafting a RB this year up top.
I think Belichick will target CEDRIC HUMES in the middle rounds and get away with that due to development issues.

If he stayed out of trouble and was slightly taller, he would likely take him. At 6"0, he can still play LB. Look at Brooks and Vilma just to list a couple. Everyone gets critized by size for many positions..either a WR is too small, but thats a new bread with more and more short players coming in. A RB is too small..can he do it? Look at Barry Sanders, Warrick Dunn. A LB too small..the better guys in the draft arent that tall as youd expect. Maybe its time to just take what there is and stop worrying about size so much. If a guy has a big enough heart to play football, he will go out and play like hes 6"4 and not 6"0. Sims is a great player, with a lot of potential and a bright future ahead of him. Maybe he can be the next Derrick Brooks who also came out of Florida State.

Remix 6 said:
If he stayed out of trouble and was slightly taller, he would likely take him. At 6"0, he can still play LB. Look at Brooks and Vilma just to list a couple. Everyone gets critized by size for many positions..either a WR is too small, but thats a new bread with more and more short players coming in. A RB is too small..can he do it? Look at Barry Sanders, Warrick Dunn. A LB too small..the better guys in the draft arent that tall as youd expect. Maybe its time to just take what there is and stop worrying about size so much. If a guy has a big enough heart to play football, he will go out and play like hes 6"4 and not 6"0. Sims is a great player, with a lot of potential and a bright future ahead of him. Maybe he can be the next Derrick Brooks who also came out of Florida State.

All good points except Belichick is known to love huge LB's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes