PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ernie Adams on ESPN Front Page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps I fawned too much!

lol. If you look up at the comments a lot of them are just trashing him or the Pats so maybe he thought you were being sarcastic or something?

This is one of the most amazing stories I have ever read. I was born a Pats fan and think I follow this team pretty closely - but I'll admit I've never heard of the man. I also sheepishly admit I have not read Halberstam's book as well. Guess I'm not as up to date with the team as I thought....:(

This is one of the most amazing stories I have ever read. I was born a Pats fan and think I follow this team pretty closely - but I'll admit I've never heard of the man. I also sheepishly admit I have not read Halberstam's book as well. Guess I'm not as up to date with the team as I thought....:(

There was great stuff about Ernie Adams in Holley's book (Patriot Reign) also.

Halberstam was an excellent writer....didn't matter the subject. It might be a good thing to pick-up and fill a little of the void between Sunday's game and the Draft.

There was great stuff about Ernie Adams in Holley's book (Patriot Reign) also.
I"m going to go back and re-read all those books, Patriot Reign, Education, Management Secrets of the NEP parts I & II in the summer. I still need to get Chris' book too. And Bruschi's book was the best of them all.

What an amazing article. Adams needs to be given a free luxorious residence in Fort Knoxx, the guy is worth more than gold and needs to be protected.

What an amazing article. Adams needs to be given a free luxorious residence in Fort Knoxx, the guy is worth more than gold and needs to be protected.
In Education of a Coach it said Adams only works in the NFL for Belichick - when Belichick isn't a HC (never again, of course), Adams goes to work on Wall Street, then returns to football when Belichick becomes a HC again. Crazy :D

That's ludicrous.

I'm sure he doesn't. There is no evidence whatsoever. You have no proof.

......now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to my LBJ and Churchill books.

Not you, Shmessy -- no way! :)

Have you looked at his photograph? Seeing it (and reading about LBJ) reminded me of how Lennie Bruce once described Johnson: the most non-Jewish-looking person I ever saw!

I'm just shocked, amazed, as well as truly impressed that ESPN actually wrote something I could read and enjoy.
This man deserves a raise they need to hire more writers like him.
BRAVO!

The most impressive part of that article to me has nothing to do with Ernie Adams and everything to do with Wright Thompson.

People describe it as a good piece of "journalism." Other than as a layman, I have no skills to judge journalism.

But I do have modest skills, I think, to judge writing. And he can write. Beautifully.

We've been treated twice now to absolutely fabulous writing in the march to the Super Bowl. First was Klosterman's nearly impenetrable but beautifully-written piece about the nature of perfection. And now this.

Two lifeboats in a sea of mediocrity that dare to make you cautiously optimistic about the future of the medium.

If you can find it, read Thompson's espn article on bullfighting.

I couldn't agree more! I was halfway through and had to remind myself that this was coming from ESPN of all places! Somebody needs to clone this guy and kick all the other pretenders out!

Could someone provide a link to the Klosterman piece?

It was a great article but now I'm really really scared Bill Polian will try to ban us from having him in the coach's box. :(

It was a great article but now I'm really really scared Bill Polian will try to ban us from having him in the coach's box. :(

Polian can't do that. Every team gets to have their coaches up in the box and Adams is one of ours.

Polian can't do that. Every team gets to have their coaches up in the box and Adams is one of ours.

You just watch. I'll bet he gives it a try.

Fascinating article. Being a genius doesn't necessarily mean having the greatest overall mind. It means the narrow meeting of intense intelligence, intense focus, and intense drive. Sometimes it's what's missing -- e.g. a desire to spend your weekends drinking beer and hitting on girls, or in fact any social drive that distracts from your obsessive interests -- that yields greatness. And there are many forms of happiness. It's wonderful to see anyone pursue what they love doing to the point of perfection

We've been treated twice now to absolutely fabulous writing in the march to the Super Bowl. First was Klosterman's nearly impenetrable but beautifully-written piece about the nature of perfection. And now this.

I had missed that article and just went to search for "Klosterman" and "perfection." Imagine my confusion when I started reading "Aged to Perfection: Four Generations of Cheesemaking" by Jill Klosterman. :)

I read Halberstam's book, but this adds a dimension. I love this guy and Belichick both... I dunno, if the Pats went 19-0 with a loudmouth jokester coach and were just big and fast and tough, etc. (assuming you can do it without smart,) I guess I would still be fine with it.

But it's just so beautiful to realize they're not just my team, they're a team I can idolize. I can't idolize the players much anymore. I love what they do but I think "great job, kid!" cuz I'm so old. I mean, I'm in awe of their accomplishments, but I don't idolize them.

All my man love goes to the minds of Belichick, Adams, and Kraft. Okay, and to the smarts the Pats' veterans always show, of buying into it and pulling along the young guys.

I've tried to explain to friends how you can't just create a culture like that out of thin air, in a year or two. They don't get it.

:) That's fine too

PFnV

I had missed that article and just went to search for "Klosterman" and "perfection." Imagine my confusion when I started reading "Aged to Perfection: Four Generations of Cheesemaking" by Jill Klosterman. :)

That's pretty funny. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye