Ernie Adams on ESPN Front Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyFTW!

Goodell sucks
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=adams

Well, there goes the Pats' best-kept secret. The commenter section is funny, just because a bunch of people are now freaking out, having decided that his role, clearly, was to decode all of the signals instantaneously.

Apologies if this has already been posted, couldn't find it :p

Sweet. Adams intrigues the heck out of me. If someone already had "BelichickFan" I might have considered "ErnieAdamsFan" instead :D

You beat me to it. Great read and now I feel even more sure of a Pats win this Sunday.

it is no long considered to be a secret because everybody knows about it. I'm suprised not many Pats players know him. BB can't do it along and here is another 'secret'.

It's really fascinating.

Last edited:
I haven't read the article yet - heading over now - but my favorite part of the Belichick books (Education of a Coach I think, could have been Patriot Reign I guess) was when Belichick's dad slipped to a side room at halftime of SB 39 to not be in the way, only to have Belichick and Adams show up for a highly technical halftime talk. It must have been quite the moment for Steve to see his son and friend since they were teenagers having talking at the top of the profession in the biggest game of the profession. I bet he had flashbacks to when they were 16 years old.

I'd love to meet Ernie Adams. He's like the mad scientist behind the scenes. I wish this article hadn't been written though, it was way cooler when only die hard Pats fans knew about him.

Last edited:
A must-read in my opinion.

I haven't read the article yet - heading over now - but my favorite part of the Belichick books (Education of a Coach I think, could have been Patriot Reign I guess) was when Belichick's dad slipped to a side room at halftime of SB 39 to not be in the way, only to have Belichick and Adams show up for a highly technical halftime talk. It must have been quite the moment for Steve to see his son and friend since they were teenagers having talking at the top of the profession in the biggest game of the profession. I bet he had flashbacks to when they were 16 years old.

It was Education of a coach........ I loved that part too. It's the most in-depth look at him (Adams) I've seen. He is a genius.

This is hands-down the most important and insightful article I have read this year concerning the New England Patriots.

Everyone needs to read this piece. It would make an unbelievable movie script.

Ernie Adams is one of the most mysterious and intriguing individuals not only in football, but perhaps anywhere. Reminiscent of D.B. Cooper, Mark Felt or J.D. Salinger.

I like this:

"Together, they played on the undefeated Andover team, the first time the two men tasted perfection."

Looks like Wright Thompson is the only reporter in AZ who is actually doing any reporting.

I swear if I hear about an ankle, Plaxico's prediction, Eli's breakout whetever...I'm gunna punch something.

nice article and a good story.

Best piece of journalism this football season has seen in YEARS. Fantastic, REQUIRED READING.

That was an absolutely terrific article and I greatly admire the journalist.

I think that asking a subject who doesn't want to be interviewed to name his five favourite books was just a brilliant idea. And how revealing! (I'm with Dalrymple: I think he likes them for the authors' research as much as for the interest of the subject-matter. If you've every read the Caro biography of LBJ, you'll appreciate why it would appeal to someone with an obsessive personality.)

By the way, does anyone think that EA trawls Internet football sites?

The author of the article is currently having a live chat at espn.com.

By the way, does anyone think that EA trawls Internet football sites?

That's ludicrous.

I'm sure he doesn't. There is no evidence whatsoever. You have no proof.

......now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to my LBJ and Churchill books.

Ernie Adams = The Great and Powerful Oz

good question/comment shmessy! I don't really get his answer though....

Last edited:
yay i got one through too :D

The most impressive part of that article to me has nothing to do with Ernie Adams and everything to do with Wright Thompson.

People describe it as a good piece of "journalism." Other than as a layman, I have no skills to judge journalism.

But I do have modest skills, I think, to judge writing. And he can write. Beautifully.

We've been treated twice now to absolutely fabulous writing in the march to the Super Bowl. First was Klosterman's nearly impenetrable but beautifully-written piece about the nature of perfection. And now this.

Two lifeboats in a sea of mediocrity that dare to make you cautiously optimistic about the future of the medium.

If you can find it, read Thompson's espn article on bullfighting.

The most impressive part of that article to me has nothing to do with Ernie Adams and everything to do with Wright Thompson.

People describe it as a good piece of "journalism." Other than as a layman, I have no skills to judge journalism.

But I do have modest skills, I think, to judge writing. And he can write. Beautifully.

We've been treated twice now to absolutely fabulous writing in the march to the Super Bowl. First was Klosterman's nearly impenetrable but beautifully-written piece about the nature of perfection. And now this.

Two lifeboats in a sea of mediocrity that dare to make you cautiously optimistic about the future of the medium.

If you can find it, read Thompson's espn article on bullfighting.

I agree, although a lot of people didn't get the Klosterman piece I don't think. That's unfortunate because it was the best written article I've ever seen on ESPN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes