PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ernie Accorsi on BB &TFB

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsfan13

Hall of Fame Poster
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Not a big fan of Lupica, but he asked Accorsi to come on and talk about the Pats in the wake of the MNF game. Accorsi was with the Colts when they had Unitas and traded for Eli. He was with the Gaints when BB was hired there and BB's first year in Cleveland also. Nice to hear one of the all time FO guys gushing about the Pats and BB and telling how everybody missed on Brady. ~15 min starting at 21:40 of the podcast.

The Mike Lupica Show: 12/11 - ESPN Boston

Outstanding. Nice that he credited **** Rehbein out of the gate and noted BB had seen enough to know he had something worth clinging to heading into 2000. Said after thorough review he can't fathom how they all missed on Brady. Came down to weighing what Belichick grappled with. Why was Michigan's braintrust so reluctant to go all in on a kid who did nothing but win - almost in defiance of every obstacle placed in his path. Came down to nothing more than politics (Henson).

Also loved his correlation of Walsh the GM succeeding because he had Walsh the HC.

That's a great find, PF13...thanks for the link

Unfortunate that all the garbage on page one already kicked this to page 2.

Thanks for the link, but mostly thanks for telling us how far to fast forward it to limit hearing that host.

Thanks for sharing...

Thanx. Great stuff!!!

Accorsi placing BB in his top 5 all time coaches says a lot. The guy has been around for a LONG time. I am glad he mentioned D Rehbein who talked BB into drafting TFB.

I also thought he was very strong on emphasizing how unusual it was to keep 4 QB's that year when TFB was a rookie. We all know how valuable the roster spots are to a coach.

Accorsi placing BB in his top 5 all time coaches says a lot. The guy has been around for a LONG time. I am glad he mentioned D Rehbein who talked BB into drafting TFB.

I also thought he was very strong on emphasizing how unusual it was to keep 4 QB's that year when TFB was a rookie. We all know how valuable the roster spots are to a coach.

My guess is that BB kept four quarterbacks (when lately he only keeps two) because it was a rebuilding year. He knew the team was not going to the playoffs, and an additional slot for a defensive back or an offensive lineman was not going to make much of a difference during a losing season. But he did need to know which of the four QBs would be worth something down the road.

My guess is that BB kept four quarterbacks (when lately he only keeps two) because it was a rebuilding year. He knew the team was not going to the playoffs, and an additional slot for a defensive back or an offensive lineman was not going to make much of a difference during a losing season. But he did need to know which of the four QBs would be worth something down the road.

The problem with that 2000 team was that they had no depth. They were competitive in a lot of games, especially early in the year but always seemed out of gas by the end of the game.

That led to the massive influx of free agent additions in 2001 (20-some players) which was key to our success that year.

After listening to that interview last night I watched TB's Orange Bowl game on youtube. Great stuff by Brady, 2nd half he was on fire, total numbers as Accorsi noted 34 of 46, 73%cmp, 4TD, 0INT's. Must'v been 4 or 5 dropped balls including 1 for a TD, didn't bother em he just kept plugging away. I don't watch college ball and had heard about this game and finally decided to check it out, glad I did.

Ernie's book, "The GM" is an excellent read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back