PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eric Alexander vs. Freddie Roach

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTS-80

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Obviously, Bruschi, Vrabel, Colvin are locks. TBC, Beisel, and Claridge are competing for time. Mincey the rookie is a lock. That's 7 players. If BB carries 8 (and assuming he doesn't cut outright Beisel -- that's a whole other debate), which one of the 2 in the title do you think will get the roster spot?

PATRIOTS-80 said:
Obviously, Bruschi, Vrabel, Colvin are locks. TBC, Beisel, and Claridge are competing for time. Mincey the rookie is a lock. That's 7 players. If BB carries 8 (and assuming he doesn't cut outright Beisel -- that's a whole other debate), which one of the 2 in the title do you think will get the roster spot?
I think that maybe this question cannot be intelligently discussed until we see at least one game with Roach, Claridge, Mincey and maybe Alexander in at least a couple of pre-season games.

Spacecrime has a point, but I'll reiterate somebody else's comment that they really need to see a LB corps featuring Roach and Bruschi.

spacecrime said:
I think that maybe this question cannot be intelligently discussed until we see at least one game with Roach, Claridge, Mincey and maybe Alexander in at least a couple of pre-season games.

C'mon, Mincey's a lock. Play along.:bricks:

Come to think of it, maybe the Pats figure they've got to have Bruschi playing alongside Roach to balance out having Mincey on the same roster as Gay....

I don't think TBC is a lock...although a few weeks a go I did think he was...maybe a shifting away from the vet and on to the rookie. Also do NOT forget Corey Mays...or Barry Gardner...

I don't think Beisel will get cut (although I don't want to spark yet another debate here). The Pats have worked on molding him too much to let it all go to waste. Either he or Banta-Cain will start out of the gate.

wrong thread ... nm

Last edited:
RayClay said:
C'mon, Mincey's a lock. Play along.:bricks:

In this case, I completely and adamently disagree (much more than in the Stevenson case). Just how many defensive players did we draft??? IMHO, the LB position is a position that needs a young stud to sit. IMHO, I am thrilled about the Mincey pick. He's got great quickness at the snap, and you aren't going to run over him with his frame. In this particular case, IMHO Mincey IS a roster lock. The college DE/OLB conversion was a deep draft, and Mincey could have easily gone much higher.

Last edited:
spacecrime said:

of course, its more of a prediction than anything.

PATRIOTS-80 said:
In this case, I completely and adamently disagree (much more than in the Stevenson case). Just how many defensive players did we draft??? Come on. The LB position is a position that needs a young stud to sit. IMHO, I am thrilled about the Mincey pick. He's got great quickness at the snap, and you aren't going to run over him with his frame. In this particular case, IMHO Mincey IS a roster lock. The college DE/OLB conversion was a deep draft, and Mincey could have easily gone much higher.

There's definitely room. On the other hand there are 31 other teams that will need to cut players and I still think the Pats could make a move for a top veteran before the season. There's plenty of time.

Also there are a plethora of UFAs who should be very competitive with a 6th round draft pick.

On top of the fact that he's a rookie, and a low round draft pick, he's being asked to play a different position than he played in college in a very difficult defense.

I'm sorry, I would have to say his chances are unknown.

In the Stevenson case, he's very unlikely to make the team and it's questionable if we have enough room on the PS.

Just my opinion.

RayClay said:
Just my opinion.

We're just a bunch of fans with opinions. LOL

Nevertheless, in my opppinnioooon, I love the Mincey pick (not that I think he'll contribute this year) and I think he'll make the 53.

PATRIOTS-80 said:
We're just a bunch of fans with opinions. LOL

Nevertheless, in my opppinnioooon, I love the Mincey pick (not that I think he'll contribute this year) and I think he'll make the 53.

He has one advantage. There's a gaping hole at OLB.

If he's got the stuff, (I'll trust your opinion on that), he should get a shot even if we pick up a vet.

However, situations like this are made for a hungry UFA.

Remember we had a 7th rounder named Christian Morton who played CB in college with Eugene Wilson. Seemed like a "lock" to get a chance to develop with the Pats.

Then along came Randall Gay.......:p

RayClay said:
He has one advantage. There's a gaping hole at OLB.

If he's got the stuff, (I'll trust your opinion on that), he should get a shot even if we pick up a vet.

However, situations like this are made for a hungry UFA.

Remember we had a 7th rounder named Christian Morton who played CB in college with Eugene Wilson. Seemed like a "lock" to get a chance to develop with the Pats.

Then along came Randall Gay.......:p

Agreed, but I just don't see a vet being available until all teams are cut down to 53. It's not like they have any incentive to do so before then with all this cap room. And at that point, you've got a guy who has no training camp in our system. I don't see a week one starter vet FA. Maybe mid-season, perhaps?

PATRIOTS-80 said:
Agreed, but I just don't see a vet being available until all teams are cut down to 53. It's not like they have any incentive to do so before then with all this cap room. And at that point, you've got a guy who has no training camp in our system. I don't see a week one starter vet FA. Maybe mid-season, perhaps?

A vet that might be caught in a numbers situation could be had for a low round pick.

Once teams get a look at their young players they might decide to take a pick now rather than nothing later.

Put me down for having no clue how the Pats will fill their LB vacancies.

Since Bruschi was in some phase of transition and McGinest and Johnson were holdovers, the only way only way BB has acquired starters has been vets from other teams.

My gut feeling is that Roach has the best chance of making it as UDFA as Mike Wright and Randall Gay.

Maybe...although I also see Bramlett as a 3rd QB possibility...and maybe another..who knows..did anyone thing Wright would make it last year???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back