Welcome to PatsFans.com

Era of Online Targetted Ads...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by mcgraw_wv, Jul 13, 2011.

1. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

So here I am on Pats Fans reading my favorite message board... 10 days ago I quit smoking, I am sure I have mentioned it in email and in chat to people, and now PatsFans is filled with ads telling me "Don't Quit, Switch!" which is an ad to sell the electronic cigarettes rather than quiting all together.

Call me old school, but I'm not a fan of that kind of level of marketing and advertising to the point where they know that level of detail to where they can market to you to that level.

Pay attention to the ads you see on the internet, especially the ones delievered via google ads, they use all your search history, email conversations and chat in order to deliver to you the very best ads you might click on.

2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I wish you success with your challenge mcgraw...it's a tough one!

I quite chewing fine tobacco 6 months ago, but still chew nicotene gum like a freak...but at least there's no side effects.

I'm in the field of all these new consumer targeting & social advertising crap and I'm with you...it all sucks. But I can't tell my co. that! ;) It's a form of "Big-Brother watching" for sure.

I prefer to stick with mass marketing.

P.S. After 10 days, how are you feeling?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +568 / 22 / -19

Congrats mcgraw. It is pretty sleazy how our privacy is invaded in these times. I have noticed the same thing. I've been redoing my kitchen, and now I'm constantly being hit with ads for new faucets, sinks, cabinets, etc.

4. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +498 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

Best way to get rid of creepy ads is to become a PatsFans.com supporter!

5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

It's just the beginning.
    They're just getting to know you. You think it's bad now? Just wait.

[​IMG]

6. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Feel fine, I actually am on Chantix as well, and when I stopped cold turket after a week on chantix, I never went through a withdraw... I chew Nicorette gum as well, but not nearly as much as I smoked.

I quit 2 years ago for 6 months... I feel empowered right now, which has me easily overcoming the want... the real challenge and where I failed before was after the empower phase wears off and feel as though "One won't hurt, I can quit any time I want too"

7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +773 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Well that explains the constant Pizza Hut and Quizno's ads that keep showing up on my screen.

Scarily enough, I also get alot of ads for retirement homes.

8. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I just did some work on a client site, and now I am getting my clients ads becuase gmail saw their words in my emails recently...

9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +773 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Hopefully you don't have any undiagnosed heart problems.

The quit-smoking drug Chantix may increase the risk of heart attacks and strokes by as much as 72 percent in smokers who take it, even those without heart disease, researchers say.

The new study comes just over a week after the U.S. Food and Drug Administration reported a small but significant risk of heart attack and stroke among people with pre-existing heart disease using Chantix (varenicline).

"All smokers who take Chantix are at risk for heart attack, stroke or other cardiovascular event," said study author Dr. Sonal Singh, an assistant professor of general internal medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore.

The findings, published July 4 in CMAJ (Canadian Medical Association Journal), are based on a review of 14 studies involving more than 8,200 smokers or users of smokeless tobacco, most of whom had no evidence of heart disease. About 4,900 took Chantix; the others were given a placebo. Follow-up ranged from 7 to 52 weeks.

The researchers found that 52 (1.06 percent) of the participants taking Chantix had serious cardiovascular events compared with 27 (0.82 percent) of those taking the placebo.

"Chantix is causing the problems it's supposed to prevent," Singh said, noting that, in addition to certain cancers, smoking increases heart risks. "Don't use Chantix, and try to quit unassisted," he said. "If you can't, there are other cheaper and safer alternatives."

Study: Stop-smoking drug Chantix ups risk of heart problems - USATODAY.com

I'll tell you what - if you want something to rail about - try the drug industry.

10. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I havent completed the starter pack, and I'm not sure I will. Using it to stop has been psychological than anything else..

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +814 / 26 / -33

After smoking for about 28 years, my wife and I quit, 21 years ago.. we both went on the patch, and have never smoked a cigarette since then.

Ironically, I still believe if people's right to smoke, it is my choice where I go..

12. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Honestly, as a libertarian, I don't really agree... You don't have the right to pollute others air they are breathing. However, if you are in a private establishment, and they allow it, it should not be the government's job to tell them they can't.

If a resturant wants to allow smoking, they non-smokers can find somewhere else to eat...

13. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +246 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

I quit 24 years ago cold turkey. I can tell you though, I'm affected by 2nd hand smoke a lot more now than in years gone by.

14. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Many people I know "screw up" when they drink alcohol. To me (because I once smoked as well) that is a smoker's weakest point....cig's & booze seem to hand in hand.

Psychological aspects of addiction are much tougher than the physical ones...from my own experience. Just bank the $$ you're saving!!

15. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Except in states where it's allow in all restaurants. Smokers are a minority and minorities shouldn't get preference over the majority in my opinion.

16. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +153 / 10 / -16

#37 Jersey

I 97% quit smoking about 6 months ago. Only 97% because I still smoke when I drink beer, but I don't have the cravings for them the next day.

Good luck and watch yourself with Chantix, it messed with my buddies head and he had to stop taking it because he went in to deep depression and he got in to a 1 car accident, that he claims wasn't but looked like he purposely did it.

17. Gainzo

Gainzo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +103 / 2 / -3

#11 Jersey

Good luck on your quest to quit smoking. If you want to get rid of ads use Firefox with the Adblock Plus plug-in. I have been using it for ages and it works great.

18. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I was thinking of starting smoking so I look cool.

19. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +498 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

[​IMG]