Welcome to PatsFans.com

Equal Pay for Equal Work

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Jul 21, 2014.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +371 / 3 / -15

This was on Liz Warrens list of rules and I thought I'd make this single topic a thread of it's own.

On the surface, "Equal Pay for Equal Work" sounds like the fair thing to do...but is it?

In my job, there are many reasons why we don't all get paid the same for the same job. Among them are;

-Different skill levels
    -Different start dates
    -Varying degrees of employee leverage (hiring somone already working vs hiring someone that is unemployed)
    -Different levels of social skills (likeability)
    -Age/experience

The only jobs I've ever heard of that pay the same for everyone that has the same tenure are union jobs.

So are you against "Equal Pay for Equal Work" or do you support it and why?
  2. SalemPats

SalemPats Rookie

Ratings:
    +138 / 17 / -17

No Jersey Selected

Don't we already have that?

What union jobs are you talking about? Most unions are for similar type of jobs with similar backgrounds.
  3. Boogs

Boogs Rookie

Ratings:
    +152 / 4 / -4

Employers should be able to pay employees by what they are worth to the company. But also, if they want to pay one person to sit on his behind because he's a cousin of the owner, then that should be their right to do so.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. SalemPats

SalemPats Rookie

Ratings:
    +138 / 17 / -17

No Jersey Selected

that's fine. but they must adhere to proper employee rights. Just as they are able to pay employees what they want, employees have the right to strike and demand proper wages.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +648 / 2 / -9

What jobs is Warren talking about, she has only been on her job for a short while, does she get paid less than a thirty year senator I don't know to much about those politician pigs except that they are all bunch of grinning leech vermin maggots.
  6. SalemPats

SalemPats Rookie

Ratings:
    +138 / 17 / -17

No Jersey Selected

Exactly. They think they are better than us. They'll complain about a Union worker who makes 60K/year with a crappy pension.
  7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +500 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Everything else being equal, obviously pay should be equal. But generally women (and that's what this is about) aren't equal.

They often take time off for having kids = less experience.
    They often have less technical degrees.
    They often have more regimented hours due to having to pick kids up, etc.

Single women without kids are more likely to be truly "equal" but the reality is most of the complaining about women not getting equal pay involved women who took a few years off when they had kids and women who have to leave at (pick your time) 4pm every day to pick the kids up. They often can't travel for work as much, etc, etc, is doesn't affect their "ability" to do the job but it does affect their overall value to the company.
  8. Hamar

Hamar Rookie

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -1

So by her standard she should not have gotten 300k+ to teach one class.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. SB39

SB39 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +719 / 41 / -57

I mentioned this is the other thread, but my wisdom certainly bears repeating here:

The myth that women are getting less pay for equal work is the biggest scam running. If it was true, businesses would hire primarily only women because they'd lower their employee costs without hurting productivity.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,023 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

Obama is overpaid ........
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +560 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Back when I first started working at the hospital and had been in the ER for 3 years they hired a new tech...a male. Right out of school, no experience, same as I was when I was hired. During the course of a conversation after he'd been working there about 3 months he was complaining about his pay check. Turns out he was already making $2.00 an hour more than I was currently making. Mind you, we both worked full time, we both worked the same shift and I had 3 years employment and experience on him. We had both just gotten our "reviews." His for 3 months, mine for 3 years. Neither review was bad. My review was much better than his was in all areas. I went to my boss and confronted her about it. Her answer - "He's got a family to support."

He had a wife who was a full time RN at a different hospital and 1 child.

I was a single mom with three kids.

I can only hope it's changed since then...but honestly, somehow I doubt it. Employers know they have you over a barrel when you need the job worse than the other guy does.
  12. Hamar

Hamar Rookie

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -1

I love how you, your husband, Patters and Darryls can throw up personal accounts yet when anyone else does it you all yell for links. How about you prove that happened or not post it? Seems fair.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  13. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +371 / 3 / -15

I'd say you had every right to be po'd! I was getting frustrated just reading it. Whether you were single with no kids or married with 6 kids, it shouldn't matter.

I've been under paid, but never for unfair reasons. I just had to prove myself...but you already had.

I hope that's changed too.

Also, I did not intend for this to be about male vs female pay inequality....not that I mind if that's where it goes.

I just wouldn't want our government looking at employee pay vs another employee at companies across the country and telling us it's unfair.
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  14. Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes Rookie

Ratings:
    +132 / 13 / -10

I was held to a much stricter standard at a job I worked than some of the other men that worked there, the manager told me that the owner couldn't find it in himself to disrespect a man with a wife and kids, which apparently meant that single men were fair game.

Employers will usually take advantage if they think they can, doesn't really have to do with what's between your legs.
  15. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +371 / 3 / -15

I still haven't read many opinions on what if anything you would like our gov't to do about unequal pay.

Does anyone have an opinion?
  16. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +371 / 3 / -15

My boss used to give extra weekend work to the single people in our group. After a year or so of this, I asked him why he kept giving us the work and didn't bother our married w/children peers and he said "they have responsibilities". So I told him what he was doing was illegal and unethical. Slowly, he reacted in 2 ways. First, he started to give married people a little work and secondly, he replaced our 2 married workers with single employees after one was fired and the other moved to a different department.

Today, my entire group is single and we're all over 40. In the near future, my boss will no longer be managing our group.
  17. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Women receive .77 cents on the dollar what a man earns, that's .64 cents if their African American, and .55 cents for Latin heritage. Two thirds of minimum wage earners are women. 100 million Americans live on the brink of poverty, 70% are women and children. One out of three women are minimum wage earners. Yes, it must be kids or their lazy.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

As I understand it, equal pay for equal work doesn't mean that if Mrs.P was building widgets for 1 year and you were building them for 20 years, you should be paid the same. It means, when all else is pretty much equal there should be equal pay. Thus, if you and she have roughly the same skill level, experience, social skills, etc., you should be paid the same. The phrase generally refers to women, since there's evidence that women are paid significantly less even when they have the same resume as the man.
  19. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I work at a hospital and everyone with the same job i have that has been there longer than i have makes more money than i do regardless of competence, attendance, sex, race, reliability...you name it. Performance means nothing in terms of pay rate there.
  20. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +246 / 3 / -4

That figure doesn't hold up when you control for things like years of experience and other pretty common-sense variables.

There is still a discrepancy when those are factored in, but it's closer to 90 cents on the dollar -- a difference that I'd attribute partly to some discrimination and partly to differences that are more difficult to quantify, like aggressiveness in negotiating or asking for raises.
    • Like Like x 2