Welcome to PatsFans.com

Ephemera thread

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Ilikehappyppl, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Charlotte Pats Fan

Charlotte Pats Fan 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +110 / 1 / -3

No Jersey Selected

This is Tipsy, she is 6 pounds of mean. We adopted her when Mike treed her in our back yard several years ago.

Attached Files:

2. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,161 / 5 / -19

#61 Jersey

Harmless, eh?

Attached Files:

3. jmur116

jmur116 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0

I believe we need to call for the Peruvian Flute Bands!

4. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +1,161 / 5 / -19

#61 Jersey

Here's my kid:

Attached Files:

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

Harry Likes This:

Mrs,
    During our marriage we have owned 4 dogs, a Beagle, a Shepard, a White Shepard and a Springer Spaniel, each one living into their teens, I believe they all understood the English language and I believe they all could read minds.

If a dog is treated right they become part of the family and they know it.

6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Tunescribe - how old is the bird? He (she?) is beautiful!! MrP and I have talked about getting a parrot but I almost fear we are too old. (Although my youngest son would take it when we died, I'm sure.) They live for such a long time you've got to plan for adoption in the event that they outlive you!

I had a silly little c(ro)ckatiel for almost 20 years. Bird even survived the move here in the back seat of the car in the dead of winter. She loved MrP and spaghetti noodles. Not so fond of the cats, however. Although each one of them, in their own time, managed to get bitten hard on the nose and learned quickly to leave her alone.

7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Re: When does Parental Responsibility Kick In? The #MYPet Thread LOL

That they do, Harry.

Over the years we've had just about every pet known to mankind....dogs (from a Great Dane to a teeny ****apoo), cats, birds, frogs, hampsters, mice, white rats, a 4 foot rat snake, lizards, hermit crabs, fish and rabbits (8 of 'em, hand raised after one son ran over their nest with the lawn mower while cutting a neighbor's lawn and decided he had to bring them home.)

One time my youngest son "babysat" a friend's (really LARGE) brown rat without telling me. He was keeping it hidden in his closet. Unfortunately, it got out of it's cage and I found it swimming in the toilet around 2 in the morning. I thought it was a wild rat and almost had a stroke. I even tried flushing it but the damn thing was too big. I'm not a screamer but trust me, the whole neighborhood must have heard me. I couldn't bring myself to just let it drown and I couldn't bring myself to fish him out of the toilet, either. I was near hysterical. (And, of course, my kid wasn't home.)

I finally fished him out in a pot, slapped a lid on it and threw everything in the back yard.

Then I let my son explain to his friend what happened to his rat.

8. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +1,161 / 5 / -19

#61 Jersey

Tunie is an African Meyers parrot, he turns 6 in August. He will live to around 25-30 so we should both expire about the same time. ;) I got him as a rescue five years ago after falling in love with a parrot that belongs to a friend of mine. I studied parrots and spent some time as volunteer for a shelter to learn more about them before I made the move.

If you own a cat it's not advisable -- not only for the obvious reason, but birds are allergic to cat dander. And their respiratory systems are fragile so if you smoke indoors a bird will develop fatal emphysema pretty quickly.

Parrots need to fly for their own physical/mental health so clipping their wings and/or keeping them in a cage most of the day is not good (Tunie is in a cage only to sleep at night). Also, they are EXTREMELY dependent on companionship, which means they should not be left alone for long periods. I'm self-employed at home so he's with me pretty much 24/7.

Bottom line: parrots are not suitable pets for most people. Consequently, the abuse and abandonment problem is worse for them than cats and dogs. This tragedy is exacerbated by the fact that parrots are very smart, on the level of dolphins and great apes. They know what's going on.

All this being said, a parrot can be the best friend ever for the right person. Tunie and I actually talk to each other and I couldn't imagine life without him. They're just high-maintenance creatures that require ample love and attention.

If you think you want to pursue this further PM me with questions and I'd be happy to help.

P.S. Depending on breed parrots can live to 90 or older so you're right about the age concern.

9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +369 / 11 / -28

Tedy B. does not know he is a dog, my wife does not want to break the news..

10. Charlotte Pats Fan

Ratings:
    +110 / 1 / -3

No Jersey Selected

My BF in HS had a parrot that they rescued from a bar. That thing swore like a sailor. It would also repeat everything we said back to my friends mother...we used to get into so much trouble.

11. jmur116

jmur116 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0

I fully understand, Lucky, our beagle, believes she is one of the kids. Unfortunately, she learned to sleep in our bed when she was a cute little puppy, (thanks to my wife) and has never relinquished that right. So more times then not, I end up sleeping on the edge of the bed while my dog and daughter take up most of my side. But, I wouldn't have it any other way.

12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

I wonder how many people let their pets sleep with them? I know we have cats on the bed every night. One by MrP and one (sometimes 2) by me. Pica loves to lay on my pillows and wrap himself around my head. Forelegs on one shoulder, hind legs on the other. Really not comfortable for me but he seems to dig it.

My son and his live-in girlfriend had to go out and buy a king size bed to accomodate their pitbull.

13. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

used to let my pits in my bed, but while one of them knew his place (foot of bed), the other liked to snuggle too much. Sure, she might start on the side, toward the foot, but she'd sneak her way up... After I woke up one night too many on the couch (because sometimes it's just easier than trying to move a 75 lb dog), she was banished. And then I felt bad about the preferential treatment (however deserved it was), so they both were.

14. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

All three of ours are in bed with us....with the obvious outcome being the largest body (mine) having the least space....the price I pay for going to bed 3 hours after my wife.

We bought a king size bed when we bought the house....somehow I have less space now than I did in a full size....

15. Drewski

Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Tune - how does that work? Not that im disagreeing or anything...Just logistically.

Chance/desire to get outside? House breaking?

16. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +369 / 11 / -28

Tedy B. does not sleep in the bed, as for some reason when you move your feet he growls... he does however hop on the bed after I get up.

BTW Tedy writes his own blog... he hasn't updated it in a long time, but fun while it lasted..

The World According to Tedy B.

17. Charlotte Pats Fan

Ratings:
    +110 / 1 / -3

No Jersey Selected

This is Molly. She was found under a neighbors deck when she was 6 to 8 weeks old.
    She weighed 7 ounces when we took her and was full of fleas.

She is about 20 months old now and weighs about 12 pounds. Thankfully, she doesn't climb the curtains anymore. She has a fascination with running water.

Attached Files:

18. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +1,161 / 5 / -19

#61 Jersey

A lot depends on how big a bird you have. My guy is a small parrot so his flying around the house is no problem, generally speaking. It's vital to their overall well-being physically and mentally. Wing clipping is like removing a dog's legs so he can't run.

I take him outside only in a carrier or, when it's nice out, I wheel his cage onto the porch so he can enjoy fresh air and sunshine. Tunie has no real desire to be "free" outside, but we're careful to know where he is coming and going so he doesn't accidentally wander out. Parrots raised in captivity have little knowledge of the outdoors so they readily get disoriented and lost if loose. Their instinct is to fly to the highest point in a tree and scan the sky for predatory hawks. Owners of larger birds sometimes train them to fly outside and return, but that takes a lot of work (you can find examples of this on youtube). They start with harness training.
    '
    Parrots have a natural drive to chew things; that's how they get food in the wild and build nests. So we have woodwork that's been gnawed on. I had some of the wood molding in our condo replaced with vinyl to counter that. Otherwise, Tunie has a lot of toys to chew on just like a dog.

You can't potty train a parrot but that's not really a problem at least with my bird. He takes a big dump first thing in the morning in the same spot onto a sheet of wax paper. His poops throughout the day are small, infrequent, and easily cleaned up with a paper towel. And, they never smell!

Most of the time, Tunie is either just hanging out with me sitting on my leg or shoulder while I work, or relaxing/playing with toys on his play gym. He likes to be petted and have his head/neck scratched regularly and intentionally does things to make me laugh. He also likes to wrestle sometimes and has an ever-growing vocabulary. The sounds that come out of him are always changing.

Any other questions I'm happy to oblige. :)

19. Drewski

Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Thanks for sharing Tune. I have no experience with birds as pets, and after hearing your story, was curious how it all works.

The general themes seem similar to my situation (dogs). None of ours are runners - so the escaping when someone comes in the door is mitigated.
    Further our yard isnt fenced, but when we take them out, they are off lead - Loafy loves a warm bed and meal, so she isnt looking to run and Jackson was crammed into a crate made for a toy sized dog so his legs are completely atrophied - he gets around, but running is definitely not his specialty.

Obviously given their size, we supervise them outdoors; we have coyotes, fisher cats and a hawk that could all do damage to the little guys rather easily.

While one of my beasts (shockingly the one my wife got as a puppy) is for the most part house trained, when there is a pee spot, it is always her. The two rescues are champs at letting us know. Loafy (who was a street dog) has had one accident since we got her in August of 2011. Jackson, who we rescued in October last year (a hording situation), hasnt had one.

I was curious how the pooping thing worked - just given the randomness birds in the wild seem to ****** on everything :)

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

20. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,062 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey