Welcome to PatsFans.com

EPA Scientists Cite Political Interference

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by wistahpatsfan, Apr 23, 2008.

1. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

The Union of Concerned Scientists said that more than half of the nearly 1,600 EPA staff scientists who responded online to a detailed questionnaire reported they had experienced incidents of political interference in their work.

"...The investigation shows researchers are generally continuing to do their work, but their scientific findings are tossed aside when it comes time to write regulations," Grifo said.

...The report said that 60 percent of those responding, or 889 scientists, reported personally experiencing what they viewed as political interference in their work over the last five years. Four in 10 scientists who have worked at the agency for more than a decade said they believe such interference has been more prevalent in the last five years than the previous five years."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/04/23/epa.scientists.ap/index.html?iref=mpstoryview
  2. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I didn't see in the article, did it say...political pressure to do/find what, and from whom?

And less than half who responded say it's worse in the last five years than the previous...I'd be curious to see what side of the fence those scientists fall on politically and who they feel is pressuring them.
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

They sent it to 5,500 EPA scientists, and less than a third, 29%, responded. I'm not quite sure what that means, but the fact that an advocacy group sent it, has to be taken into consideration. I don't doubt that administrations meddle in scientific findings. They meddle in everything. I think the increased emphasis on MMGW, and the environment, plays into the feeling that, or acts, of interference. There's so much pressure from all angles on the environment & science (these days) it seems.