PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Enter Elandon Roberts: welcome to a new NE playmaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are people really disputing whether calling someone "******ed" is offensive?

I can't believe we're still having this conversation in 2016...show respect to others, and just find another freakin word to use already! How hard is that?

???

Have you watched any of the political campaign of the last year? Public and private figures say very shameful things.

Not sure why people think it's extremely unlikely.

There will be about $70m available in cap space, plus whatever they will free up from restructures and cuts

And I don't know why folks think that the patriots can and will sign whoever they want at whatever price they want.

It is not a matter of paying $14M a year for Collins. We could if Belichick want to do so.

The point is that it is unlikely that the patriots and Collins will agree to a contract that will have Collins playing for the patriots in 2017. We could franchise him, but I don't think that we will. The tag COULD certainly happen.

And I don't know why folks think that the patriots can and will sign whoever they want at whatever price they want.

It is not a matter of paying $14M a year for Collins. We could if Belichick want to do so.

The point is that it is unlikely that the patriots and Collins will agree to a contract that will have Collins playing for the patriots in 2017. We could franchise him, but I don't think that we will. The tag COULD certainly happen.

Signing whoever they want is exactly what they do ..... with the exception of Deion Branch in 2006

Just for the hell of it....

Clearly not as good of an athlete but hes no slouch either.

Roberts 6-0, 235
40 Yrd Dash:
20 Yrd Dash: 2.64
10 Yrd Dash: 1.67
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 25
Vertical Jump: 36
Broad Jump: 10'00"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.26
3-Cone Drill: 7.20

Luke Kuechly 6-3 235
40 Yard Dash: 4.58 seconds
20 Yard Dash: 2.59 seconds
10 Yard Dash: 1.56 seconds
Bench Press: 27 reps (225 lb)
Vertical Leap: 38.0 inches
Broad Jump: 10'03" inches
20 Yd Shuttle: 4.12 seconds
Three Cone: 6.92 seconds

Last edited:
it was garbage time

Obviously different definitions of garbage time. Garbage time to me is when the opposing team removes their key starters, runs only about three different plays, and runs their own clock just to get the game over. The Browns did that in the late 4th quarter.

Early in the game, still full playbook where it's much more a combination of brains and physicality, doesn't meet that same criteria to me.

Do you consider any time the Pats go up a certain score, that the other team just stops trying making our players "look" better?

Signing whoever they want is exactly what they do ..... with the exception of Deion Branch in 2006

NOT Whenever a players signs elsewhere, we fans conclude that the team didn't want him. In addition, the perceived quality of the player is greatly diminished.

IMHO, for example, to say that the team didn't WANT Wilfork is just plain silly. The team didn't want to pay enough to keep Wilfork is more accurate (and a reasonable choice). And there are lots and lots of such situations. It is clear that NO TEAM can sign and/or re-sign all the players that they want.

That's a great story; thanks for posting that. I'm a Pats fan in Georgia and the first time I saw him play extensively he immediately reminded me of one of my all time favorite non-Patriots players: Jessie "The Hammer" Tuggle. Tuggle was undrafted out of Valdosta State because he was considered too small and too slow to play linebacker. All he did was play 14 seasons for the Falcons and earn 5 pro bowl berths. Every time I see Roberts play I see the Hammer and I mean that as the highest of praise.

I can't believe we're still having this conversation in 2016...show respect to others, and just find another freakin word to use already! How hard is that?

I think the poster using the Word was referring to an idea, plan, or choice being offered by another poster as a stupid idea/plan, and not using it to denigrate a person, let alone a specific person. So in those immortal Donald Sutherland words. . . .

Lighten up Francis!

NOT Whenever a players signs elsewhere, we fans conclude that the team didn't want him. In addition, the perceived quality of the player is greatly diminished.

IMHO, for example, to say that the team didn't WANT Wilfork is just plain silly. The team didn't want to pay enough to keep Wilfork is more accurate (and a reasonable choice). And there are lots and lots of such situations. It is clear that NO TEAM can sign and/or re-sign all the players that they want.

I agree with your argument, but not your example. (Wilfork). I think there was very much a case being made (between coaches-scouts ) that he was about to start on the sharp downhill slide and its better to cut ties one year early than one late. VW was missing games each year due to injuries. They also had a lot of young cheap potential that other teams would scavange if they tried to move them to PS. I am not so sure (as you think ) that there was a cheap price that would have kept VW in NE.

That's a great story; thanks for posting that. I'm a Pats fan in Georgia and the first time I saw him play extensively he immediately reminded me of one of my all time favorite non-Patriots players: Jessie "The Hammer" Tuggle. Tuggle was undrafted out of Valdosta State because he was considered too small and too slow to play linebacker. All he did was play 14 seasons for the Falcons and earn 5 pro bowl berths. Every time I see Roberts play I see the Hammer and I mean that as the highest of praise.

It's funny that the article mentions Bob Sanders -- even though it's different position and skillset, Sanders keeps coming to my mind watching Roberts. He's such a whirlwind of energy and intensity on the field, and plays a style that's more physical than his size would suggest.

Just crossing my fingers that he finds a way to avoid the durability issues that plagued Sanders.

There's nothing to explain. I have no intention of catering to your misguided at best, and deliberately evil at worst, desires for imposed self-censorship.

And, for the record, I call blacks "blacks" and orientals "orientals", and I have no intention of ceasing my use of those terms, either.

Not trying to engage is this political correctness debate, or maybe I am, but seeing as both of you are, in my books, solid posters I thought I'd just pipe in....
...So, for the record, the term Oriental is used to describe inanimate objects like rugs etc. You might want to stick with the term Asian when referring to human beings!!
Blacks is rarely considered offensive, especially informally...
...So, for whatever it's worth, it's far more enjoyable to read everyone's thoughts when we generally avoid reactionary censorships and perseived personal affronts.....let's save our abuses for Roger.

According to High he's even more than “hammer“ ..

"He's a missile, man," Patriots linebacker Don't'a Hightower said on WEEI earlier in the week. "He's a torpedo. He's a hammer."

Not trying to engage is this political correctness debate, or maybe I am, but seeing as both of you are, in my books, solid posters I thought I'd just pipe in....

Pipe away

...So, for the record, the term Oriental is used to describe inanimate objects like rugs etc. You might want to stick with the term Asian when referring to human beings!!

Orientals also refers to the people who live in the area once known as the orient.

(sometimes not capital) an inhabitant, esp a native, of the Orient

n.
"native or inhabitant of the east," 1701, from oriental (adj.).

the definition of oriental

Blacks is rarely considered offensive, especially informally...

There are people who take offense at both dreaded "n" words, at "black", at "colored" and at "African-American". It's what happens when people give in to the SJWs, because they never stop.

...So, for whatever it's worth, it's far more enjoyable to read everyone's thoughts when we generally avoid reactionary censorships and perseived personal affronts.....let's save our abuses for Roger.

Best post (portion) I've read in many days.

Pipe away

Orientals also refers to the people who live in the area once known as the orient.

the definition of oriental

There are people who take offense at both dreaded "n" words, at "black", at "colored" and at "African-American". It's what happens when people give in to the SJWs, because they never stop.

Best post (portion) I've read in many days.

Yes, I agree that denying the use of the term Oriental to describe Asian people is kinda splitting hairs but the reality is that it is fast becoming unacceptable as a descriptor for human beings especially in countries, like ours, that did not colonize Asia. I'm not exactly sure why.
But you are right, there is always someone out there that will be offended regardless.
Sorry to drag this out....I am so not trying to hijack this great thread about Elandon Roberts because I am getting excited about his future prospects on this team.
Go Pats!

It isn't offensive to everyone, even here in the year 2016, whatever that means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back