Welcome to PatsFans.com

Enough with the media bashing!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Tunescribe, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,120 / 6 / -23

#61 Jersey

I am "the media." I was a newspaper reporter for 17 years and now publish a music magazine. I'm here to tell you all that for every Jayson Blair (the infamous New York Times story fabricator) and Mike Barnicle (who left the Globe in disgrace), there are thousands of honest, unbiased, apolitical print journalists doing their best to present the truth in objective fashion. So stop painting "the media" with a broad brush of condemnation as agents of the liberal agenda. I worked for five different newspapers in my career and observed none of what is constantly being demonized here. In fact, one newspaper I worked for was staunchly REPUBLICAN in its editorial philosophy (opinion pages). Just the same, that never filtered down from the publisher's office through editors to the reporters in their news reporting. I cannot speak for television/radio as I have no experience with those branches of the media. But I can tell you, having worked in the print news business, that credibility hinges on objectively and thoroughly reporting both sides of a story. Most men and women in newspapers and magazines are honest, hard-working people who embrace their professional responsibility to report the news fairly and accurately. A lot of folks in this forum make the mistake of confusing "opinion" (columnists, editorials) with "news." While columnists and editorial writers are obliged to support their opinions with factual evidence, opinion remains apart from the news and by its very nature invites charges of bias. That's as it should be. My suggestion to anyone who really wants to know what's going on in the world is to check out the Associated Press wires online and/or AP stories in your local paper. AP services are used by pretty much every newspaper in the country and are free of political spin. The news, and nothing but the news.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  2. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Good point on AP direct sourcing. Curious, what are your thoughts on NPR??
  3. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +1,120 / 6 / -23

#61 Jersey

I don't listen to NPR enough to have an opinion. As I said, I don't know much about radio/television, but my feeling in general regarding broadcast news is that it's more "entertainment"-driven for the sake of ratings and advertising sales. Hence, it emphasizes the controversial and sensational. I think if you want to be truly well informed, you'll rely on print media. Anyone who relies on Fox or CNN exclusively is going to be shortchanged amidst big servings of opinion from all directions.
  4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Here, here, Tunescribe, I agree with you. My niece works is a newspaper woman and I've known other newspaper people and media people. Most of them have a very high ethical standard. But, Fox news ... well, that's another story. When I want a conservative point of view, I look at the Washington Times or Wall Street Journal.
  5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

I think that everybody brings their POV and baggage to the table. The idea of total objectivity is a myth. 90% of the mainstream media journalist voted for dems. Their POV consciously or unconsciously influences how they see the story. Th ehubris to claim objectivity is what irritates people about the media. I think it is a shock for the media to be questioned and contradicted by the 'unwashed masses' in the blogsphere.

The Rather situation is a perfect example of this.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2005
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +664 / 2 / -9

Media Bias:
    Have any of you watched a White House Press conference lately, how about Helen Thomas, now there is a real "fair and balanced" journalist for you, how about Dan Rather, he turned into a national disgrace and an embrassment for all honest news people.

Have any of you ever really wondered why Fox is so popular, could it be that they inform us of many things that the Main Stream Media would rather we not know?
    Who killed Kathleen Wileys cat?
    Does Cynthia McKinney beat her husband?
    Oh Jesus!
  7. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

For the most part, I ignore media bias, but media, going out of their way to be inaccurate, pisses me off.

I am a science/health researcher, and it absolutely drives me batty when they interpret the results of a study wrong (after they've interviewed the friggin authors) or quote someone incorrectly.
  8. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +1,120 / 6 / -23

#61 Jersey

If you get most of your "information" from national network broadcast sources (Fox included), you're your own worst enemy. You can pick and choose examples to support your bias 'til the cows come home, but I'm here to tell you that the vast majority of major print news sources are ethical and reliable.
  9. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +1,120 / 6 / -23

#61 Jersey

Please cite your source for claiming 90 percent of mainstream media journalists vote Democrat. You need to realize that journalists are trained to be objective, and that accuracy and fairness are cornerstones of the profession. Keep in mind, please, that I am referring to PRINT JOURNALISTS only here, not broadcast journalists, and to news reporting vs. editorial opinion.
  10. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

I always figure that as far as broadcast journalism goes, CNN, ABC, and NBC are the most honest because both liberals and conservatives complain equally about them. Fox only gets complaints from liberals and CBS only gets complaints from conservatives, so to me that's reasonable evidence they have some bias.
  11. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

Here is one link from the NYT on the 2004 elections, have nore if you'd like.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/01/p...=11800ba25496a8cc&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland
  12. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +1,120 / 6 / -23

#61 Jersey

This story doesn't support your claim. Here's a telling snippet (caps are mine):

>> It depends where they work and how you ask the question, at least according to the UNSCIENTIFIC SURVEY we conducted last weekend during a PRESS PARTY at the convention. We got anonymous answers from 153 journalists, about a third of them based in Washington. <<

It addresses only the Washington beltway press corps, not journalists in general. It suggests that 80 percent of this group votes Democratic, but I would assume that same percentage holds true for the D.C. population in general.

Also, consider this from the same article:

>> Sure enough, the Washington respondents said they would rather cover Mr. Kerry, but by a fairly small amount, 27 to 21, and the other journalists picked Bush, 56 to 40. (A few others had no opinion.) The overall result was 77 for Bush, 67 for Mr. Kerry. <<
  13. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

Here's an article I googled that has polling going back over the past 30 years hope this helps

http://www.mediaresearch.org/biasbasics/biasbasics3.asp
  14. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +664 / 2 / -9

There are a lot of "Closet Democrats" Russert & Brokaw admitted they were a few years back on the Today show.

Why would they hide it?
  15. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

16. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Most newspapers in the United States endorse Republican candidates, so it stands to reason that most newspapers have a Republican-leaning editorial policy. So, in fairness, that has to be factored into the equation. But, again, as Tunescribe pointed out, most journalists are professional, focused on covering the story assigned to them by their editor. I think the perception in this forum is skewed because many people here probably read the Boston Globe.
  17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

Do you have references to support this claim?
  18. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

I could not find the Salon source article, but the following was posted on the well-known liberal blog (Daily Kos). It does strike me as legit.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2004/10/26/131125/44

Since 1940 when industry trade magazine Editor & Publisher began tracking newspapers during presidential elections, only two Democratic candidates -- Lyndon Johnson in 1964 and Bill Clinton in 1992 -- have ever won more endorsements than their Republican opponent. That's because newspaper publishers, who usually sign off on endorsements, tend to vote Republican (like lots of senior corporate executives), which means GOP candidates pick up more endorsements. A lot more. In 1984, President Reagan landed roughly twice as many endorsements as Democrat Walter Mondale in the president's easy reelection win. And in 1996, despite his weak showing at the polls, 179 daily newspapers endorsed Republican Bob Dole, which easily outpaced the Democrats' tally by nearly a 2-to-1 margin.

On November 6 E&P predicted a huge win for Bush pointing that newspapers endorsed Bush 2 to 1 nationally and citing data from their survey of 800 top newspapers executives one week before the election (59% for Bush, 20% for Gore).
  19. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +1,120 / 6 / -23

#61 Jersey

I think someone also published a book recently showing irrefutable evidence that the earth is flat and elephants climb trees.
  20. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +664 / 2 / -9

NY Times, LA Times, Boston Globe, now there's some fair and balanced Media for you. Maureen Dowd is one of the most honest and professionl people in the Media.
    :bricks: