PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

enough with the greenway B**L S**T

Status
Not open for further replies.

F-TheRaiders

Rookie
Reaction score
156 tackles last year...416 career tackles(5th all time @ Iowa)...Look, if you are afraid of contact you dont make 156 tackles in a season. This notion that Chad Greenway is not physical, or not a good tackler is absurd. Is he the hardest hitter in the draft? Probably not. There is a difference between being a vicious hitter (see Ernie Sims) and a solid wrap up text book tackler. I would even go as far as to say that someone who is more of a textbook tackler may be likely to enjoy a longer healthier career than a vicious hitter (see Ernie Sims concussion list), who hurles him self at the ball carrier.

IF GREENWAY IS THERE DRAFT HIM!!!!!!

Well that's just the point. They say he's not a "textbook tackler". YOu're creating a strawman: he's a textbook tacker, but not a great hitter, so don't draft him.

It's more like "he avoids contact and gives glancing blows that wouldn't get an NFL ball carrier down, so even though he gets 'credited' with tackles (which are most likely gang tackles where he is the first one there), he is overrated."

With all due respect, thats ridiculous...you don't get credited that many tackles with out making your reads, shedding blocks, and sticking the ball carrier. period. I am also from the school that toughness ( to a degree) can be developed. I think if you put this guy under the watch of vrabel, bruschi, harrison and co. they will help this guy develop his game. To me, this guy is a perfect fit.

F-TheRaiders said:
With all due respect, thats ridiculous...you don't get credited that many tackles with out making your reads, shedding blocks, and sticking the ball carrier. period. I am also from the school that toughness ( to a degree) can be developed. I think if you put this guy under the watch of vrabel, bruschi, harrison and co. they will help this guy develop his game. To me, this guy is a perfect fit.

Count me in also. Big hitters at LB are way over-rated, often over-running plays, failing to wrap, or injuring themselves. give me the guy that knows how to get there and wraps up over the guy trying to make the "Jacked Up" list. Those big hitters are better at SS, which would be a great spot for Sims.

Have you seen him play?

So he's a first round pick b/c he "makes alot of tackles"? There are alot of guys who do that.

Scouts who see him say he doesn't "shed blocks" but runs around them. Doesn't seem to like contact. That's what they say. Are they lying? Why would they? That's not to say he "makes great tackles but doesn't try to knock people out". That is NOT what they are saying.

Yeah, you can "teach him to be physical". How's that working with Monty Beisel? Maybe he s/b a 1st round draft pick? Why not?

First off, I am a huge college football fan, and I have seen Iowa play on more than a few occasions. My personal favorite was when I watched Greenway rack up 16 tackles against michigan last year.

Sure I agree that there are alot of guys that put up alot of tackles. When you combime greenway's measurables with his productivity, thats when you have a first round pick.

So let me get this straight, he ran around around all those blockers? wow! With that kind of agility, maybe we should draft him as a RB.

I don't think the scouts are lying when they say he has trouble shedding blocks. However, besides Bush, It is hard to find a player in the draft that does not have a downside. Name any prospect and I will find a scouting report that says something negative about him. The Bottom line is I like Greenway in round one and you dont. "there aint no good guy, there aint no bad guy..there's only you and me and we just disagree"

When Greenway started sliding after the Combine, I started getting concerned... what wasn't I seeing? what's changed?

Nothing. The kid is still the same prospect that he always was, but some teams have come to realize that he's a true 4-3 ILB. That'll turn some teams off, but hell... bring it on!

He's a great team leader, he's smart, athletic, big, productive, good in coverage and good against the run. Honestly, I dont know what more we'd want in an inside linebacker.

You say tahmahto, I say toematoh

Greenway's game is a Phifer type game. Carpenter's game is a Vrabel type game.

Both Phifer and Vrabel were/are great Patriot LBs, who both fit the Belichick Defense, Both did it their own way. Same applies to Greenway and Carpenter. I'd like either one and preferably BOTH.

Greenway will be fine in our defense IMO. The reason he had a down year last season was due to the fact that Iowa didnt have a good DL in front of him. The same can be said for Abdul Hodge as well. Even Urlacher struggled once Big Ted and Traylor left. With the DL that we currently have, Greenway will be just fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back