PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Enough Felger enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
As i have said a few times ... Felger is from Wisconsin ... probably a Packer fan ... what more need be said. he graduated from Boston University and that is how we got stuck with him. Except for his wife, daughter. parents and in laws I don't think there's anyone who actually likes him.

Last edited:
As i have said a few times ... Felger is from Wisconsin ... probably a Packer fan ... what more need be said.

The people I know from Wisconsin are actually really cool, Pack fans included.

The people I know from Wisconsin are actually really cool, Pack fans included.

why did you have to ruin it ... :p

they wear cheese on their heads.

anyways I'm sure they are but he's a packer fan in Patriot territory ... he's the enemy.

Last edited:
Standard Operating Procedure for Sports Talk Radio in the USA today is for hosts to take a stand on a subject which will create a passionate and divisive response from the audience. Like it or not, it is far more effective in generating interest and getting people to tune in.

While discussion about how the Pats can improve their defense by getting more pressure on the opposing quarterback may make for a much more intelligent conversation, it is not going to be as lively and attention-getting as this type of topic.

Like it or not, radio is not a charitable enterprise that is available solely for the betterment of society; it is a commercial venture looking to make a profit. The more divisive the topic, the more people will talk about it and stay tuned in. More listeners equals higher ratings, making higher ad revenue possible which leads to higher profits.

The fact that this board can't go a week without somebody mentioning how outraged they are that Felger said this or some other host said that is proof that the formula works; when was the last time there was a thread about what a great job some sports radio host did with well thought out analysis and deep, insightful opinions?

As mentioned by others, if Felger (or somebody else) bothers you so much, why do you listen to him or read what he has to say?

If it weren't for this forum, I wouldn't have any idea who Felger or Borges even WERE. That's how much I don't pay attention to the Boston sports media. Why would I want to subject myself to something so infuriating for more than 30 seconds, and then tell other people about it?

Morning shows are morning shows, so you either like them or you don't. It's not all sports. I'd take D&C over the competition, but neither makes me get up and set the radio to their station.

10-2:

Dale and Holley offer some actual insight along with commentary, and they can do that with multiple sports. Zolak is ok for football, since he knows the "x"'s and "o"'s as a former player, although he still screws them up on occasion (helps explain why he was a backup) and Gresh is just a buffoon.

2-6:

The Big show offers multiple opinions, with various former players in Baseball, football and basketball, along with journalists and columnists. It's a rowdy approach that generally follows a bit of a homer bent, and it generally offers much more knowledgeable insights than Felger/Mazz. Felger/Mazz features one man who's a crap stirrer rather than an honestly opinionated person (Felger), and another man (Mazz) who rarely takes a break from ballwashing Felger to offer any deep insight of his own.

6-whenever:

Mike Adams just doesn't strike a chord with me. D.A. is the only decent host/co-host on the entire 850 team, and is worth listening to if you're out on the road.

From 10am - 6pm, I strongly recommend listening to WEEI, with commercial drop-ins to the other station. At 6pm, switch to 98.5. That's the best way to go if you're a sports talk fan. It should keep your hostility levels low, and it offers you the best programs at the same time.

Last edited:
You could, you know, listen to actual music if both are so bad. It just never made sense to me to listen to people whose drivel pisses you off so bad and then, to make matters worse, actually then go to a public forum and spout off about how you listened to these guys, and then said this and that, and it pissed you off. Turn the talk radio off and listen to music, don't read the sports pages of the papers. Get your news from this forum. Your life will be all the better for it.

I failed to take my own proferred advice.
Mea culpa
Mea maxima culpa

Morning shows are morning shows, so you either like them or you don't. It's not all sports. I'd take D&C over the competition, but neither makes me get up and set the radio to their station.

10-2:

Dale and Holley offer some actual insight along with commentary, and they can do that with multiple sports. Zolak is ok for football, since he knows the "x"'s and "o"'s as a former player, although he still screws them up on occasion (helps explain why he was a backup) and Gresh is just a buffoon.

2-6:

The Big show offers multiple opinions, with various former players in Baseball, football and basketball, along with journalists and columnists. It's a rowdy approach that generally follows a bit of a homer bent, and it generally offers much more knowledgeable insights than Felger/Mazz. Felger/Mazz features one man who's a crap stirrer rather than an honestly opinionated person (Felger), and another man (Mazz) who rarely takes a break from ballwashing Felger to offer any deep insight of his own.

6-whenever:

Mike Adams just doesn't strike a chord with me. D.A. is the only decent host/co-host on the entire 850 team, and is worth listening to if you're out on the road.

From 10am - 6pm, I strongly recommend listening to WEEI, with commercial drop-ins to the other station. At 6pm, switch to 98.5. That's the best way to go if you're a sports talk fan. It should keep your hostility levels low, and it offers you the best programs at the same time.

Out of all of the shows that I've listened to from up there, Dale and Holley are the only guys worth listening to, IMO. Felger and Mazz seem to be two guys who are only interested in screaming over one another and using controversy to get their ratings. Never listened to Mike Adams.

You could, you know, listen to actual music if both are so bad. It just never made sense to me to listen to people whose drivel pisses you off so bad and then, to make matters worse, actually then go to a public forum and spout off about how you listened to these guys, and then said this and that, and it pissed you off. Turn the talk radio off and listen to music, don't read the sports pages of the papers. Get your news from this forum. Your life will be all the better for it.

I just can't help myself. I am like a dog that chases the garbage truck every afternoon. I will try not to chase the Felger garbage truck again this week and see if I can survive.

The fact that this board can't go a week without somebody mentioning how outraged they are that Felger said this or some other host said that is proof that the formula works; when was the last time there was a thread about what a great job some sports radio host did with well thought out analysis and deep, insightful opinions?

As mentioned by others, if Felger (or somebody else) bothers you so much, why do you listen to him or read what he has to say?
+1 +1 +1. I say it everytime someone whines about the latest "outrage" from either Felger or Borges. By bringing attention to their stupid comment du jour, you are giving them exactly what they want. They laugh themselves all the way to the bank.

This is just my opinion and I respect everyone elses, but I freakin love Felger. He's not meant to be taken seriously, his stances aren't serious, his rants are pretty damn funny, and he's pretty clearly intentionally over the top. That said, if you look past the hyperbole he does make some pretty good points. He's a vastly superior broadcaster to anyone on the VHF station too.

To me, sports talk is about entertainment. If I want to talk football I'll come here. If I want to learn about football I'll hit up Chris Brown's blog or read the various southern coaching forums. Sports radio isn't going to offer me anything particularly insightful, so I just like to get entertained, laugh about some stuff and make fun of the general idiocy of professional athletes. I certainly don't take it as a personal affront when an entertainer mocks the team I root for. We all know it, that place is locked tighter than a drum and there's a lot to make fun of about it. I still live and die with them, I still root for them like a savage, I still haven't recovered from SB42, but it's fun and good for the soul to laugh at the comedy. For that, I tend to sway way towards 98.5. If I had to do a breakdown of show v show, I guess it would go like this:

6-10. Two pissed off old guys that need to lube their joints complain about the weather, politics, traffic, and minorities on EEI. Toucher and Rich was the best show in Boston radio when they were the afternoon show on BCN. They've lost their fastball since then and the sports talk ruins the comedy, but it's still a pretty damn funny show. Rich's audio stuff is mostly great and reportedly Matt Light was singing his BM "Big Bang Clock" song in the locker room. They also do interviews that are actually interesting. I'm not old enough yet to complain enough to enjoy DC so I listen to T&R. Usually all four hours of it.

10-2. Gresh and Zo vs No Personality and Beetlejuice. I can't decide if Zo going off and acting like a rah rah meathead is funnier than when Holley tries to hood it up with the players. Intentionally or unintentionally both are pretty funny. I listen to Gresh and Zo just because Zo is pretty funny and Gresh really does know his stuff about football. Dale and Holley is just so blah.

2-6. I can't listen to the big show and I love Felger so there it is. Ordway also looks like the Pringles guy. Just thought I'd throw that one out there.

6-11. I like DA but rarely listen at night unless it's a late night at work. He's pretty objective, respectful of callers, and clearly works his arse off in prep.

To each their own. It is pretty funny to see how differently people look at the sports talk in town though.

Oh, Fred, lighten up. Felger is the best thing to happen to radio in quite a while. Most of the sports "personalities" are "bought" in this town, at least Felger keeps the Pats and their blindly-loyal fans honest. Besides, he gives the Pats plenty of props, including an AFC Championship guarantee (talk about deranged!), supports the coach to a fault, has PFW writers and Patriots.com bloggers on as guests, and isn't afraid to pick on his own industry when warranted. Yet, all you hear is criticism? Man, you're listening to a different show than me. Merriweather hasn't performed like a pro bowler. Fact not opinion. Felger just points that out, which is his job.

PS: Felger interviewing Jonathan Kraft is the best radio I've heard in this town in many years.

Oh, Fred, lighten up. Felger is the best thing to happen to radio in quite a while. Most of the sports "personalities" are "bought" in this town, at least Felger keeps the Pats and their blindly-loyal fans honest. Besides, he gives the Pats plenty of props, including an AFC Championship guarantee (talk about deranged!), supports the coach to a fault, has PFW writers and Patriots.com bloggers on as guests, and isn't afraid to pick on his own industry when warranted. Yet, all you hear is criticism? Man, you're listening to a different show than me. Merriweather hasn't performed like a pro bowler. Fact not opinion. Felger just points that out, which is his job.

PS: Felger interviewing Jonathan Kraft is the best radio I've heard in this town in many years.

So which radio personality or columnist are you? :cool:

I don't know about the rest of you but I am getting sick of Felger complaining about Merriweather. Alright Felgie I know that you are really excited about finding a new (black of course) whipping post now that Moss has left but do you really need to keep inflicting us with your bile?

Why didn't we hear the same endless rants from Felger when Wes Welker got clocked by Ryan Clark? In fact I didn't remember much at all about Clark. How about when Ray Lewis pole-axed Edelman and Woodhead? That is fine I guess. And I am supposed to feel sorry for the Ravens because the Patriots got rough with them?

Why is Felger picking on Merriweather? Because Merriweather plays for the Patriots and Felger is always looking for new obnoxious angles to excoriate the team. Felger why don't you go back to Milwaukee and do hockey.

Ryan Clark is black and plays for the Steelers. You're thinking of Eric Smith here. He was fined 7500 for the hit on Welker.

Rationalization is fascinating to observe.

Edit: or trolling bordering on earnestness.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spanky spaulding

So which radio personality or columnist are you?

Must be Felger himself

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey