PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Enjoying the "Tuck" game on nfln

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loved watching it again....wow that was a while ago

A couple of thoughts I had while watching this again.

1. Seymour didn't even start the game. They had someother guy, who's name excapes me. A guy who I didn't even know was on the team. I'll have to watch again just to find out.

2. We know how well Brady did in the second half of the game, HOWEVER, if you weren't thinking, sometime late in the 2nd quarter, that it might be a good time for Drew to come in, THEN you are LYING to yourself. As good as he was in the 2nd half. That is how BAD he was in the first.

3. Oakland was the better team for 3 quarters.

4. I missed Adam's game tying FG. Since I had never heard of the "tuck rule", I assumed, like most if they were honest, that it had been a fumble. So I immediately turned off the TV in disgust, and was on the computor writing a post to Raider fans I was friendly with at KFFL, congratulating them on their win. I had just fired it off when a friend called all excited about the ending of regulation. I didn't know what he was talking about. :D. I was very surprised to turn the TV back on and find they were still playing (just starting the OT). Obviously I got filled in during the OT and after, but...did ever I feel silly. ;)

5. Also that marked the beinging of about 1000 posts to Raider fans and other haters, who are STILL b!ching about that play. BTW- I maintain the same position I took that day. Right call, bad rule.

6. What has been lost in that call has been the fact that the Pats have been the victim of more BAD calls in playoff games than good ones. Fans who claim we have a deal with the refs, haven't been watching the games. :rolleyes:

7. The local Kid from Eastie had one hell of a game. His 10 reception in that one game was very close to the number of catches the Pats TEs had for the ENTIRE season (IIRC, it was under 20)

8. I didn't realize what a great game David Patten had that game, especially under those conditions.

9. Ironic seeing Tory James playing CB for the Raiders. btw-I see a lot of OTIS in him and predict that he will be a good pick up for us.

10. Also IRONIC, given the situation, to see #22 getting beaten for the Raiders TD. :D

11. Foxboro Stadium was the Sh!t hole of the league, a lousy place for the players and a lousy place for the fans, but boy could it generate noise!! I don't think the noise level has EVER gotten to that level in the new building....not that I would ever want to go back to the old one, but without all the luxury boxes, and without all the latte driven fans, it was LOUD.

I too thought that the NFL network could have shown more post game stuff because I definitely thought it ended abruptly

I watched this game here in the Bay Area right in the middle of Raider Nation. I got a lot of crap going into the game and during. Made the victory even sweeter.

Let the record show that for all the complaining from Oakland about the tuck rule and how horrible of a rule it is, there has been no motion whatsoever to eliminate or alter the rule as it stands.

Let the record show that for all the complaining from Oakland about the tuck rule and how horrible of a rule it is, there has been no motion whatsoever to eliminate or alter the rule as it stands.
Even moreso, the year after (they waited 12 months to let emotions calm down) they did re-examine the "tuck rule" and specifically decided to keep it as is. Not considering a change would be one thing, but they specifically considered whether this should stay as the rule and they decided "yes".

Even moreso, the year after (they waited 12 months to let emotions calm down) they did re-examine the "tuck rule" and specifically decided to keep it as is. Not considering a change would be one thing, but they specifically considered whether this should stay as the rule and they decided "yes".
Amen, brother. The thing a lot of Raiders fans fail to realize is that the rule exists so that referees do not have to try and guess a QB's intent. The motion of the arm determines a forward pass, not what the QB was intending to do. I'll be the first to admit Brady wasn't passing the ball on that play, but the rules do not want referees to have to guess intent - and I prefer it that way.

Amen, brother. The thing a lot of Raiders fans fail to realize is that the rule exists so that referees do not have to try and guess a QB's intent. The motion of the arm determines a forward pass, not what the QB was intending to do. I'll be the first to admit Brady wasn't passing the ball on that play, but the rules do not want referees to have to guess intent - and I prefer it that way.

We can only guess what the outcome of the rule might have been if it was the Colts and not the Raiders?

Besides that, it was only ONE play. The Raider defense folded in crunch time and that's all there is to it.
To anyone who thinks the refs were in the pats pocket all I can say is "roughing the passer".
I'm not even referring to 76. I 'm referring to the blow to the head as woodsons arm came down it grazed the front of Brady's helmet.
That's usually called, isn't it?

This was the First NFL game I watched. I am pretty young, so i just started getting into football, since my dad is a huge patriots fan. but i wish i could watch it again, I want to record it so bad. Stupid no-NFL network packages. :mad:

Remember that there is no official "tuck rule"

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=120

Rule 3 (“Definitions”), Section 21 (“Pass and Passer”), Article 2, Note 2 states the following: “When a Team A player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his hand starts a forward pass, even if the player loses possession of the ball as he is attempting to tuck it back toward his body.

I watch that game before every postseason. What a classic.

384... is right, the Raiders could have won that game by making any number of plays down the stretch, including 3rd and 6 inches that they couldn't convert after a 2nd and 2 with about 2 30 left. They could have taken the clock all the way down to about 20 seconds.

I watch that game before every postseason. What a classic.

384... is right, the Raiders could have won that game by making any number of plays down the stretch, including 3rd and 6 inches that they couldn't convert after a 2nd and 2 with about 2 30 left. They could have taken the clock all the way down to about 20 seconds.

You are referring to me. Right?
If you are, then for future reference my screen name is easy to remember if you know the Roman number assigned to each Superbowl the Pats have won.
SB36 over Rams
SB38 over Panthers
SB39 over Eagles.

Just trying to be helpful.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.Lots of personnel changes in only six years.....I always liked Antwain Smith...tough up the middle,seemed to get stronger as the game goes on...

Shame on none of you recognizing who was the TRUE Hero/MVP of this game.

It was LARRY IZZO - He made 2 game saving fumble recoveries both of which were off punts I believe.

One fumble by Troy Brown and the other I don't know..What I do know is Larry recovered a kick deep inside Patriots territory and another inside of the 50 again...One if not Both of those plays could have resulted in an easy score by the Raiders.

On this subject I was watching #54 LB of the Raiders,Believe his name was Reikurt? - Whatever happened to this guy?-He was all over the field harrasing Brady and keeping the running game in check,An awesome game by this guy I had never heard of before and did not acknowledge till watching it again for the second time - Anyone know what happened to his career?

The beginning of the happiest era of my football loving life.

I can't believe the time has gone by so fast.

Yeah, it's unbelievable isn't it.

Shame on none of you recognizing who was the TRUE Hero/MVP of this game.

It was LARRY IZZO - He made 2 game saving fumble recoveries both of which were off punts I believe.

One fumble by Troy Brown and the other I don't know..What I do know is Larry recovered a kick deep inside Patriots territory and another inside of the 50 again...One if not Both of those plays could have resulted in an easy score by the Raiders.

Bingo. Izzo put himself in position to succeed on both plays.

I watched it again this afternoon (4:00) and every time I see it I see more and more that I've missed any one of the 2000 times I've previously watched.

1. A. Smith was able to get to the corner in that game. It speaks to the lack of traction on the field. The Raiders were off balance the entire second half. The pass-first attack really kept them off of Smith in the second half.

2. I noticed James out there too, as someone else mentioned. Funny (scary?) that he was getting beat repeatedly by Patten.

3. It was truly amazing what was accomplished with THAT offense. Fred Coleman was the #3 wr. Did they even have a number four wr?

4. The player who started over Seymour was Riddick Parker.

5. Smith was a great bad weather back. I remember a game vs Buffalo when he was there and it was in a nor' easter, he played pretty well then too. The cold game vs Tennessee he ran hard. While he was slow and it was frustrating to watch him at times towards the end, he still got the job done for two super bowl champion teams.

6. While the defense was perceived to be made up of a lot of has-beens/never-will-be's, they were quick to the ball, hit hard, and were solid tacklers.

You are referring to me. Right?
If you are, then for future reference my screen name is easy to remember if you know the Roman number assigned to each Superbowl the Pats have won.
SB36 over Rams
SB38 over Panthers
SB39 over Eagles.

Just trying to be helpful.

Yea totally missed that. My bad.

I watched it again this afternoon (4:00) and every time I see it I see more and more that I've missed any one of the 2000 times I've previously watched.

This time I noticed that on AV's game tying FG, not one Raider left their feet to try and block it even though it had to be kicked low at that distance and in those conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back