Welcome to PatsFans.com

English-only at Conn. bookstore

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by s.t.e.n.d.e.c, Jan 22, 2010.

1. s.t.e.n.d.e.c

s.t.e.n.d.e.c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Don't see this lasting long

English-only at Conn. bookstore sparks controversy - Yahoo! News

NEW HAVEN, Conn. – A popular bookstore and cafe near Yale University wants its many Hispanic employees to speak only English around customers, sparking controversy in immigrant-friendly New Haven, where students fight for immigrant rights.

Atticus Bookstore and Cafe recently issued a policy stating that English should be the only language spoken on the floor and behind the counter.
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -26

There was me, that is Alex, and my three droogs, that is Pete, Georgie, and Dim, Dim being really dim, and we sat in the Korova Milkbar making up our rassoodocks what to do with the evening.

The Korova milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultraviolence."
  3. s.t.e.n.d.e.c

s.t.e.n.d.e.c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, well. To what do I owe the extreme pleasure of this visit?

Yarbles! Great bolshy yarblockos to you. You betcha Sir, Alex is my main man.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +434 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Hopefully this is legal and a business decision they can freely make in whichever direction they choose. Personally I shy away from businesses with a lot of Spanish being spoken, it's just not an environment I prefer; although there is a little mexican restaurant I frequent in which they speak Spanish quite a bit. Regardless this should be a viable business decision not a political issue.
  5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +883 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

As someone who has many English and foreign language friends & acquaintances ... I really don't care either way. I'm very used to both situations.

It's a business decision which will either be good or it will cost them money - that's exactly how it should be in a capitalistic free economy country and world.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -2

Good for them.
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +546 / 2 / -9

If they're all speaking Spanish and you only speak English why the hell would you go in there?

"angbd onmfntyhmndbr"
    "what"
    "angbd onmfntyhmndbr"
    "f-ck you"
    "si"