PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ending Day Three With Seven Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I count 3-4 starters among this group; not bad for Day Three of free agency. I look forward to seeing Leach and Evans signed in the next couple of days. I understand that these two are minor signings; however, they will fill holes on the roster.

LB Banta Cain
ST Alexander
ST Ventrone
LB Woods
RB Taylor
TE Baker
S Sanders

Last edited:
I'm most excited about signing Taylor. He deserves to get a ring.

I count 3-4 starters among this group; not bad for Day Three of free agency. I look forward to seeing Leach and Evans signed in the next couple of days. I understand that these two are minor signings; however, they will fill holes on the roster.

LB Banta Cain
ST Alexander
ST Ventrone
LB Woods
RB Taylor
TE Baker
S Sanders

And, I thought you're thread about the 1st few day being busy was off. OK..
I was wrong. Trades for vets already under contract usually don't happen until
draft weekend. Not sure about this Peppers rumour though.

who are the 3-4 starters? I only see Sanders, and TBC/Woods (hopefully temporarily)

LB Banta Cain
ST Alexander
ST Ventrone
LB Woods
RB Taylor
TE Baker
S Sanders

When did Ventrone re-sign? I didn't notice that one.

We just signed Baker through 2013. He is a fine blocker and a reasonable receiver. He should start. The only way I would "start" Watson is if we started two tight ends, one really a receiver because we don't have a adequate #3 WR to go downfield.

BTW, both Watson and Thomas are in their contact year. Watson may be on the verge of his breakout season yet again :). Thomas may be also. :) More likely is that we will be looking for a backup TE next year.

who are the 3-4 starters? I only see Sanders, and TBC/Woods (hopefully temporarily)

Has Baker been officially confirmed? There have been press releases for everything but his signing.

LB Banta Cain
ST Alexander
ST Ventrone
LB Woods
RB Taylor
TE Baker
S Sanders

Not a bad haul, it is not like the Pats were flush with cash. Add in a veteran JAG (or above average JAG) like Springs / Bodden and the team is basically set. I am not saying there isn't room for improvement but at least a team could be fielded. I expect 1 more potential starter (Evans) to be signed along with a couple of veteran backups. Eric Barton would be a could pickup at ILB.

So far so good, never a dull moment.

Ventrone is an ERFA and was tendered. His official "signing" could come now or in a couple of months. However, his only choices are to sign or to sit out the season.

When did Ventrone re-sign? I didn't notice that one.

Oh, wow. Didn't see that one. Tendered at what level?

I expect more to come. I also expect Evans soon, as well as Leach or another deep snapper. After the Sanders signing, we seem to have about $8M to work with, saving the rest for rookies and injury replacements. Some of that will go for extensions. For example, if Wilfork re-signs that would use a lot of the available cap monies.

Veteran jags cost next to nothing against the cap (less than $100K more than an UDFA).

Not a bad haul, it is not like the Pats were flush with cash. Add in a veteran JAG (or above average JAG) like Springs / Bodden and the team is basically set. I am not saying there isn't room for improvement but at least a team could be fielded. I expect 1 more potential starter (Evans) to be signed along with a couple of veteran backups. Eric Barton would be a could pickup at ILB.

So far so good, never a dull moment.

yeah...and add in the #23, THREE #2's, TWO 3's so far, 2 FOURS so far and the COMPENSATORY pick(s) we have coming(possible #4, improbable #3) and this upcoming season looks like a season of promise to ANY optimisitic Patriots fan.

Of course , NONE OF THIS means anything to the "Patriot Legion Of Armchair GM's Who Know Better Than Bill Belichick"....they will certainly STILL be complaining and moaning and crying and little baby blubbering about the KC deal. while the draft potentially turns out to be one of the greatest in franchise history.

With all the signing going on evans worries me a bit.He came to us a pure FB who was okay blocking. Now he has developed his blocking , receving skills are definitely up and lines up as a TEs. It took us 2 yrs to coach him .
Against very aggresive blitzing defences or when OL is having issues its faulk and evans who line up as the last line of protection for our QB ,so he has to be signed.

Last edited:
I expect more to come. I also expect Evans soon, as well as Leach or another deep snapper. After the Sanders signing, we seem to have about $8M to work with, saving the rest for rookies and injury replacements. Some of that will go for extensions. For example, if Wilfork re-signs that would use a lot of the available cap monies.

Veteran jags cost next to nothing against the cap (less than $100K more than an UDFA).

There are about four more veterans I'd like to see the Pats re-sign:
Evans, Hochstein, Lewis Sanders, and Wright. As you mentioned
above, Leach would be a good addition since he is a highly rated
long snapper.

the pats have only one decent OLB right now (thomas)

Yeah, at least as far as we can tell. Not sure how they've graded the PS and IR dudes, but it would be nice to see something measurable happen at OLB for us fan-types.

I think the Pats have about $14m to play with not $8m, probably closer to $15m with Moss's restructure.

I love the Fred Taylor signing and think the Baker signing is great as well-we need some stability in that position due to the up and down play of Watson and the mystery of David Thomas. Sanders is a good signing as well, as it helps to solidify the secondary a bit more. TBC is an interesting signing; I thought he was coming on before he left for FA, but he didn't pan out in SF. We'll have to see. Like the other signings as well. I'd like to see them re-sign Evans, Hochstein and Wright as well.

per Miguel's sheet $14.4M (per Miguel)
estimated net for rookies (3.2M) my estimate (1sts and end cost cap money)
estimated net for various (A) (3.2M) (per Miguel)
--------------------
amount available to play with $8.0M

(A) Player 52, Player 53, player on IR to start the season, injury reserve fund during the year)

We almost always end up with a couple of million to move to the next year, emergency money that wasn't needed).

If a $1M Moss retructure isn't yet included, then we have $9M. The upcoming Wilfork extension will use up quite a bit. We need to recmember that salaries cannot increase by more than 30% a year during the new contract. There is also some room for more restructures and extensions, some of which will free up cap room.

I think the Pats have about $14m to play with not $8m, probably closer to $15m with Moss's restructure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots